U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,428,032 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear that about Austin, I went to school in the area a little over 20 years ago and thought it was a cool oasis of a city.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 PM

2,570 posts, read 2,609,974 times
I'm surprised to see that some think small towns are heavily conservative. The ones where I have lived (in four states) had a variety.

I've been to gatherings of friends or just associates through a club or community event and joined in many social/political debates. And, honestly, I don't know even one person who votes a straight ticket.

One group I'm affiliated with probably would be considered largely made up of conservatives, yet they hire a speaker each year that is known for his Democratic views and "liberal" point of view. So much so that some groups who self label as progressive/liberal/Democrats don't want him showing up at their events.

*shrug* I wonder why my experience is so different. BTW, I grew up in Detroit with family who traditionally vote for the so-called progressive candidate in any election.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,428,032 times
My area of Oklahoma used to have a very liberal representative who served for quite a while. They only recently started voting Republican in the presidential elections during the past decade and a half or so.
Democrats still hold a lot of the local offices and the state rep is also a Democrat.

Oklahoma has always been a little odd in that way, until recently the cities were way more conservative than a lot of the rural areas, at least in the eastern part of the state.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,956 times
Democrat vs. Republican isn't really a determiner of conservative vs. liberal. (Well, unless you've only had a junior high version of civics classes that is.)

There are a lot of extremely conservative Democrats out there, for example. And more than one liberal Republicans (Schwarzenegger comes to mind)

Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 AM

3,824 posts, read 5,985,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Democrat vs. Republican isn't really a determiner of conservative vs. liberal. .......................
Very true!!

I posted this on the Oregon forum a while back: Oregon – Liberal? Moderate? Conservative?

My analysis of the Gallup poll was for Oregon, but would be similar for other states. Click on the State of the States link.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:15 PM

2,570 posts, read 2,609,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Democrat vs. Republican isn't really a determiner of conservative vs. liberal. (Well, unless you've only had a junior high version of civics classes that is.)

There are a lot of extremely conservative Democrats out there, for example. And more than one liberal Republicans (Schwarzenegger comes to mind)
I agree. But, even sitting in Wyoming, considered a very conservative state, I find a variety of people who vote a variety of ways. And, most often those who are supporting a candidate on the Democratic ticket consider his/her position to be liberal, while a person on the Republican ticket gets generalized as conservative.

It seems few conversations can be nuanced.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:45 PM

8,629 posts, read 14,073,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I agree. But, even sitting in Wyoming, considered a very conservative state, I find a variety of people who vote a variety of ways. And, most often those who are supporting a candidate on the Democratic ticket consider his/her position to be liberal, while a person on the Republican ticket gets generalized as conservative.

It seems few conversations can be nuanced.
Yes, the die has been cast ! Personally i blame the right wing media for a lot of this, telling lies and untruths,. You do not have to go very far to prove that, Rush Limbaugh. They just want to go nuts, don't matter sometimes who it is ether. As of late Rush has been going after Mitt ?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:48 AM

13,640 posts, read 26,065,844 times
I do think some areas that are Republican/considered conservative might have a good helping of real libertarianism, or "Teddy Roosevelt" Republicans
I know working-class people who grew up in working-class neighborhoods in a major city who never or rarely "crossed the bridge" into the city. I appreciate that it's different if diverse ideas/jobs/people are nearby, but the mindset can still be bound to the one small area. I can't imagine how insular a place could be before widespread TV, never mind internet/etc. Or pre-electric?!

Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes, the die has been cast ! Personally i blame the right wing media for a lot of this, telling lies and untruths,. You do not have to go very far to prove that, Rush Limbaugh. They just want to go nuts, don't matter sometimes who it is ether. As of late Rush has been going after Mitt ?
This proves my point with liberal/conservative vs. Democrat/Republican. Mitt is obviously a Republican, but he's been a fairly liberal one his entire career.

So far as the divisiveness, yeah, I agree. I think right wing media is also to blame. It started with nuts on the radio and expanded to nuts on the TV until people in general have developed this idea that there's supposed to be this almost combative split in political ideologies.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:07 PM

22,559 posts, read 47,899,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
My family were always Democrats, in a small isolated Arkansas town of around 2000 people. But I don't know if I would call them liberal...or conservative. They were Baptist farmers and gun owners, so they definitely didn't fit the mold of a New York style liberal Democrat. But they always saw Republicans as the party of the rich that didn't care about the working class or farmers. I think it had something to do with the Solid South trend of always voting for the Democratic candidate back in the day. I remember my mother using "Republican" and "Yankee" interchangably, and my grandmother talked about the local Republicans like they were traitors. And this was in the 90's.
I have to chuckle at this. The post is dead-on. The Southern working folks were Democrats and knew the Republicans was the rich man's party.

Then the Republicans got smart.

They divided and conquered. With Rush, Beck and all of their mouthpieces and their thousands of viral lies sent by e-mail and Facebook they have managed to sign on the poor, working-class folks to their rich man's party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living