U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:28 PM

8,629 posts, read 14,073,659 times

Advertisements

Also right on. The south was always shy of northerners since the Carpet bagger days. Remember the average southerner was dirt poor after the Civil War, most never recovered . One of the reasons Model Ts were so popular in southern states, that was all they could afford......then along came Roosevelt and the New Deal., The TVA, dams, resulting in most every home had a job earner, and electricity as well as a refrigerator . The Republicans did not a foot hold until the civil rights movement . There was still the suppression of minorities. President Johnson took the heat, he did the right thing , but it cost the foothold the Dems. Had on the South. Many, even today will say they are a Democrat but then vote for the other party. They did not like any one telling them what to do, States Rights, and all that, still that way today. I wonder sometimes if the South will ever forget the "Late unpleasantnus"..

Old 04-06-2012, 11:56 PM

4,153 posts, read 8,082,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Why is it that most of the small town people are so conservative ? Is it because they never left their town ?
Why are larger cities full of Liberals...they can't think or work?

I live in a small town and travel a lot..we even maintain a place in a major city. Staying or leaving the farm doesn't really have anything to do with being Conservative. It's not about Democrat or Republican either. The South has been Democrat for generations, hell, you can count how many Republican governors Texas has seen on one hand but the state remains Conservative. Anyhow, stick to the city and your latte and don't worry about us small town peeps.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,956 times
Quote:
I have to chuckle at this. The post is dead-on. The Southern working folks were Democrats and knew the Republicans was the rich man's party.

Then the Republicans got smart.

They divided and conquered. With Rush, Beck and all of their mouthpieces and their thousands of viral lies sent by e-mail and Facebook they have managed to sign on the poor, working-class folks to their rich man's party.
Seems like there's a book about this called "The Kansas Effect" or something like that...
I've always found that amazing, too. Frankly, I think it's because the Republicans appealed to social issues, conveniently ignoring that most social issues are never legistlated. But shoot, once they've got you supporting their social issues, by extension you're supporting their economic ones... (Which almost always are NOT in the working man's favor. Sucker. Too late now.)

Old 04-07-2012, 01:50 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,110,846 times
I think like any other thing that people most satisfied with their life do not want change. Those least likely to be satisfied want change. It doesn't follow wealth either has for years surveys have shown that people in Louisana where most satisfied with their lifes and its not a high per person wealth state.It really makes sense that anyone happy doesn't favor change and those unhappy are looking for change. IMO;lookig is often the keyword as alot never find ahoinness as we have seen with egttig what they desired.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:06 AM

475 posts, read 408,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Why are larger cities full of Liberals...they can't think or work?

I live in a small town and travel a lot..we even maintain a place in a major city. Staying or leaving the farm doesn't really have anything to do with being Conservative. It's not about Democrat or Republican either. The South has been Democrat for generations, hell, you can count how many Republican governors Texas has seen on one hand but the state remains Conservative. Anyhow, stick to the city and your latte and don't worry about us small town peeps.
Soy latte please, i dont do dairy.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:08 AM

475 posts, read 408,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post

There was one guy who I went to high school with who made it known in certain circles that he was gay. One night, he was murdered in his apartment. The police didn't barely bothered with it. After a cursory investigation, the case went cold. That would NOT have happened under any other circumstance.

Wow ! That is just beyond racist !

Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 AM

8,629 posts, read 14,073,659 times
Default The great divide

There has always been a separation between city people and country people. The larger the city, the greater divide. It is my believe that most rural ( small towns also) have suffered , since the Country first discovered there was a light behond the woods, the plains, the mountains, that they had been left out, forgotten ,when it came to just about everything.
Early in our history it was the miles of dusty ,dangerous trails and the time it took to actually travel from the country to the city. As time marched on, distances became less of a problem, but cultural divide continued , maybe in some ways, even got worse, as cities grew bigger, then suburbs along with electronic communications, first the telephone, next the movies then the Television contributed to this stereotyping of country folks. It was as if there was a safety factor being surrounded by canyons of skyscrapers, rarely separated by open spaces.The flight to the burbs had a softening effect of this divide however really, those who moved to the far suburbs and behond were still city people, all they did was bring their culture with them,a little at a time.
The next to come along in the minds of city folks was many longed for further away places, the adventure of the open road, the highway that connected our cultures, while all along rural progressive people had been experiencing this wide open spaces way of living since the days the first plow turned over a patch of native sod on the vast prairies, long ago, that separated the division of city to country, to small towns. In certain parts of the Country, much divided by terrain as in much of the mountain and hill country of the south things were slow to change, including ways of life and of politics.
My belief is these divisions of distance were, still are, at the root of our Political divide. Its not just the haves and have not's , the lack of trees and natural barriers like wind,weather and terrain but more of the separation the distances that sparked, that demanded, the natural desires ,the comforts of living among family,friends, all protected( as in city folks) by tall buildings, small lawns ( if any)and crowed streets. Likewise the rural folks still demanded a social life ( as in country churches ), and at the same time what comforted them ,(wide open spaces, personal privacy created by distance large lawns,farms,etc.) . These were times of growth,of prosperity, of the distances between cities and towns growing smaller by the day.
Now today we have less a divide as relates to knowledge, and more of a divide based on history,independence,and the never ending quest to be upwardly mobile. The cities no longer have a lock on this prosperity as they once did. Fact is, the majority of our leaders,Statesman, officials, have come from the rural life, much more than the city. Quite a difference than that of the average stereotype we see on TV and in the movies.
This time line/history is only a small sample of what actually did develop, ether way its influence on Liberal/Conservative politics and religion remains. Somewhat blurred today, but its still there, ingrained in the fabric of our Country..

Old 04-16-2012, 02:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,492 posts, read 41,085,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There has always been a separation between city people and country people. The larger the city, the greater divide. It is my believe that most rural ( small towns also) have suffered , ... things were slow to change, including ways of life and of politics.

My belief is these divisions of distance were, still are, at the root of our Political divide. Its not just the haves and have not's ,

... Likewise the rural folks still demanded a social life ( as in country churches ), and at the same time what comforted them ,(wide open spaces, personal privacy created by distance large lawns,farms,etc.) . These were times of growth,of prosperity, of the distances between cities and towns growing smaller by the day.
...Fact is, the majority of our leaders,Statesman, officials, have come from the rural life, much more than the city. ..
I think the current divide is population centric. Those areas with the highest density VOTE and can sway an entire state and ALL the electoral votes... the media and 'cost savings' means that many rural areas do not even get information / advertising. No Need to spend $$ when your winning vote can come from carrying a couple urban counties.

With technology / electoral strategists, I feel it is getting much worse, VERY quickly.

Cripes... I would just like some rural 'connectivity' !!! Pay-by-the-byte' very slow and undependable dial-up is getting real old. And I am only 20 minutes from a metropolis, but no DSL, cable / broadband signal. It stinks. and I am not conservative or liberal, but would love to vote COMMON SENSE if we had such a party...

Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 AM

943 posts, read 1,580,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There has always been a separation between city people and country people. The larger the city, the greater divide. It is my believe that most rural ( small towns also) have suffered , since the Country first discovered there was a light behond the woods, the plains, the mountains, that they had been left out, forgotten ,when it came to just about everything.
Early in our history it was the miles of dusty ,dangerous trails and the time it took to actually travel from the country to the city. As time marched on, distances became less of a problem, but cultural divide continued , maybe in some ways, even got worse, as cities grew bigger, then suburbs along with electronic communications, first the telephone, next the movies then the Television contributed to this stereotyping of country folks. It was as if there was a safety factor being surrounded by canyons of skyscrapers, rarely separated by open spaces.The flight to the burbs had a softening effect of this divide however really, those who moved to the far suburbs and behond were still city people, all they did was bring their culture with them,a little at a time.
The next to come along in the minds of city folks was many longed for further away places, the adventure of the open road, the highway that connected our cultures, while all along rural progressive people had been experiencing this wide open spaces way of living since the days the first plow turned over a patch of native sod on the vast prairies, long ago, that separated the division of city to country, to small towns. In certain parts of the Country, much divided by terrain as in much of the mountain and hill country of the south things were slow to change, including ways of life and of politics.
My belief is these divisions of distance were, still are, at the root of our Political divide. Its not just the haves and have not's , the lack of trees and natural barriers like wind,weather and terrain but more of the separation the distances that sparked, that demanded, the natural desires ,the comforts of living among family,friends, all protected( as in city folks) by tall buildings, small lawns ( if any)and crowed streets. Likewise the rural folks still demanded a social life ( as in country churches ), and at the same time what comforted them ,(wide open spaces, personal privacy created by distance large lawns,farms,etc.) . These were times of growth,of prosperity, of the distances between cities and towns growing smaller by the day.
Now today we have less a divide as relates to knowledge, and more of a divide based on history,independence,and the never ending quest to be upwardly mobile. The cities no longer have a lock on this prosperity as they once did. Fact is, the majority of our leaders,Statesman, officials, have come from the rural life, much more than the city. Quite a difference than that of the average stereotype we see on TV and in the movies.
This time line/history is only a small sample of what actually did develop, ether way its influence on Liberal/Conservative politics and religion remains. Somewhat blurred today, but its still there, ingrained in the fabric of our Country..
I wish all my northern friends and family could digest this..
the world might become a better place.
Thanks for your insight.. do I have your permission to forward your words to some New Englanders?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:51 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,318,881 times
I live in a small town (pop. 1200+-). I think that most locals of small towns have very deep roots and have a difficult time reacting to change. There is a close knit community feeling and we are VERY protective of what we have and where we live. Living in a small town such as mine, we have to sacrifice a lot to live here. We live in small communities for a reason and will defend our community and our reasons to live here. The closest WallyWorld is over and hour away and over a very high pass but that's just fine to us locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living