Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:51 PM

350 posts, read 848,359 times

Advertisements

The country is filled with small towns like you describe. Some are close to cities, some very far. Most are full of people who grew up there, but get into the mountain west, Colorado, Utah, etc, and you have towns with alot more people like yourself from California, New York, who wanted a simpler life. My Grandma lives in a small town in NW Ohio, its a beautiful street and the kids play unsupervised until dark. Her neighbors all look out for her, all that good stuff. I lived near Morenci, MI for a while and it was a wonderful town, though bad economy. It even has a small movie theater that I don't think has been updated since the 60's, a small downtown pizza shop and an ice cream store. Its the same way here in Burlington, CO. Most towns have an annual festival or town fair (e.g. Chicken Festival, Strawberry Festival...) I'm sure there are towns like this in New England, and the south, I have only ever been to Sodus NY, it seemed nice. Just remember that NO place is perfect, and every town big or small, 1950's or today, have their con artists, creepers, jerks, etc. At least in a small town you know who they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 PM

93,340 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Sodus NY is definitely small town America. Upstate NY has plenty of small towns that are likely to fit the OP's criteria. Places like like these come to mind: Owego Homepage
Historic Owego Marketplace - Have fun Shopping, Dining and Sightseeing in Owego, NY - Home

Lowville, NY 13367

Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce - Carthage NY 13619 - 315.493.3590
Village of Carthage NY - Welcome to the Village of Carthage NY 13619
Village Of West Carthage: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]

Village Of Pulaski: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Pulaski Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Website

Village of Cazenovia
Cazenovia Chamber of Commerce

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles
Welcome to the Village of Skaneateles! | The Village of Skaneateles

Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide
Clinton, New York: Chamber of Commerce: Clinton, NY Business - Event Listing: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central New York, Mohawk Valley,

Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York
Village of Hamilton, NY, Official Government Website Village of Hamilton's Official Government Website

Village of East Aurora
East Aurora New York - Home of Fisher-Price
GREATER EAST AURORA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce
Town of Ticonderoga

Welcome to Saranac Lake, New York!
Village of Saranac Lake, New York*

Tupper Lake, NY
Tupper Lake, NY 12986

and many more......

Old 04-08-2012, 07:24 PM

350 posts, read 848,359 times
Sodus/Lyons area is my only exposure to New England, but I was very (pleasantly) surprised... it felt more like small town Indiana than my preconceived notion of New England. So I'd now believe there are lots of places in NY that qualify .

Old 04-09-2012, 01:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,717 posts, read 58,054,000 times
ID?

I like Kendrick, Harrison, Clark Fork, Bonners Ferry. (these are all N ID, but plenty in SE too, Check out Soda Springs, It's close to WY, (which has even MORE of what you want... WY people can't be beat and the State is well funded with energy $$ (No state income tax)). SD is pretty nice too (Look into Spearfish)

WA, (east side)
Waitsburg, Metaline Falls, Kettle Falls, Rockford

No advice from me east of Missouri River, (I don't do humidity) tho I will be having a winter place in Hill Country TX (around Wimberley or Kerrville). and in NE TN (near Greeneville)

There are some very nice towns in most states. I recommend within 20-30 min of a jr college for a more rich retirement, with a few additional options.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM

38 posts, read 94,495 times
If you like warmer to hot weather, than I would suggest either Vernon, or Quanah, Texas. I live in Vernon, my grandfather lives in Quanah. They both have thier own historical charms. Museums, historic main streets, Vernon has a classic theater. Theres not much here as far as resteraunts, but what do you expect of a small town? Look us up sometime

Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for ? View Post
I'm just wondering if there is a small town out there reminiscent of the 50's/early 60's. The kind of town that has quiet neighborhoods, safe streets, safe to walk at night, neighbors gathering on front porches for a visit, etc.. I realize that times have changed (actually they have made a somewhat drastic change), but I wonder if there is a place like this somewhere. If you think you know of a place like this or even live in one, please post. I'd love to know. Thanks
I use to live in New England... nice place.

Well... I am at a small town with quiet neighbourhood & see very little cars traveling here, sometimes like close to an hr before there is one in daytime.
We have safe streets since there is barely any cars, only residents mainly w/ an occasional delivery people.
It is very safe to walk here at night... since it is also farm country... you'd encounter a horse, a cow, a fox, a deer if you do walk off the beaten paths...

BUT
Our neighbours very rarely will gather on the front porches because the houses are actually quite far apart.

Where I am at???
PA&MD border... amish countries.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
Yup, all that and good jobs, amazing scenery, and endless outdoor recreation. But most people would balk at the weather and the distance to anywhere else, much less the nearest city. That keeps it from getting too crowded, which is a great thing in my book.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Bound for,
Maybe right near your neck of the woods there in New England, wouldn't Brattleboro, Vt. fit the bill pretty nicely?

Old 04-22-2012, 12:44 PM

54 posts, read 217,287 times
I moved to small town New Mexico where I lived happily for 14 years. but it was a huge adjustment getting to happy...

When you say you want to get away from it all just think long and hard about what that means.
Jobs are scarce and nepotism in hiring is rampant.
Don't badmouth anyone as the person you're speaking to is probably a relative.
You may be 1,2,3 hours from a major airport. If you're lucky there's a rural one, but it's expensive to fly and under threat of closure each budget year.
Your shopping choices are limited severely.
People are friendly, but slow to welcome strangers, so while you like the locals helpfulness and friendliness making friends takes time!
Nightlife is almost nonexistent.
Hunting: It's a way of life.
...and if you are looking for a liberal, rural town I'd give Silver City New Mexico a shot.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Brattleboro is pretty big for a "small town," it's just that there are so few actual cities in Vermont that people might forget the Brattleboro and Burlington wouldn't be small towns anywhere else. If that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living