U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:26 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,526,757 times

Advertisements

I love those towns with just a couple of stoplights. We have two stoplights here, but never more than a few cars in line, and really only need one. When you have stoplights and convenience stores and/or Starbucks at every corner, long lines at intersections, taking a half hour to get to work which is in the same town/city, ugh, city slickers can have it. Give me the clean air and maybe a couple ma and pa stores.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 AM

38 posts, read 81,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
I love those towns with just a couple of stoplights. We have two stoplights here, but never more than a few cars in line, and really only need one. When you have stoplights and convenience stores and/or Starbucks at every corner, long lines at intersections, taking a half hour to get to work which is in the same town/city, ugh, city slickers can have it. Give me the clean air and maybe a couple ma and pa stores.
I know exactly what you mean. I'll probably never live in a city, unless I have to, for some reason. Theres just so much that its hard to get in the city, fresh air, slow traffic, friendly neighbors, the list goes on and on

Old 04-12-2012, 07:57 AM

349 posts, read 546,770 times
I'm kinda the opposite, Hippyman. (also, welcome to the forum! I'm rather new here too) I live in a big city, have my entire life- and want to go smaller... but believe it or not, I'm afraid to. It's a security thing, I think.

I live in the middle of Pittsburgh, PA... and whereas it's not a HUGE city, it's still pretty big, and can be pretty cramped.

I can't imagine a town that has three stop lights! Sounds awesome, though.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 AM

4,647 posts, read 4,902,201 times
I grew up in NYC and was thrilled when my parents packed us up and moved us to Vermont, town of 8,000. I LOVED it. But after college I was ready to go back to a bigger place but not as big as NYC. I moved to Northern Virginia and it was a great compromise, at that time. It was in 1973 and it was so much better then. Now, in Arlington county there are over 220,000 people and I swear I feel like I see every one of them every day, it is so crowded.

I long for the small town again and hope to retire to one.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:01 PM

9,200 posts, read 17,049,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
I can't imagine a town that has three stop lights! Sounds awesome, though.
That's funny. Not counting my time at college and one summer job, I've lived in six towns in my life. The six towns had a combined total of two stoplights. And they were both in the same town.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM

38 posts, read 81,771 times
The funny thing is, I went to an unincorporated town, back in november, it was alot smaller than mine; maybe, a few roads, and some stop signs. I got home, and now my small town seems too big.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM

58,709 posts, read 83,307,494 times
You can find tiny communities with hospitals up here. Places like Hamilton, Lowville, Carthage, Ticonderoga, Cooperstown, Alexandria Bay, Saranac Lake, Elizabethtown and I believe a few more.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
That's funny. Not counting my time at college and one summer job, I've lived in six towns in my life. The six towns had a combined total of two stoplights. And they were both in the same town.
I was thinking something similar.
Our county has three incorporated towns. Not a single stoplight in the entire county.
The is true of the counties to the north, east and south, for that matter. (To the east there're two towns that each have a single stoplight lol)

Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 PM

2,616 posts, read 7,921,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
Anyone know anything about Oak Grove, AL?
I lived in Auburn, AL for several years in the late 1990s. Oak Grove is about 50 miles northeast of Auburn on US highway 280, and about 25 miles southeast of Birmingham on 280. I would imagine that some people commute to work in Birmingham area from Oak Grove.

Oak Grove is next to Sylcauga, and also very close to Talledega National Forest. It is a surprisingly hilly and scenic area, also not far from some lakes along the Coosa River. The one thing that I would not like about that location is the town is less than 10 miles east (downwind) from the huge Alabama Power coal fired power plant on the Coosa River at Wilsonville. Too close for my preference, if there is a choice of places to live. Wilsonville is is one of the old coal fired burners that produces a lot of pollution.

Last edited by recycled; 04-13-2012 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-14-2012, 09:12 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,635,099 times
I grew up in NYC. I now live in a town of 5K with 3 stop lights and know every 6th grader in town (teaching Math at the middle school). I absolutely love it and could never to back to living in big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living