U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 PM

38 posts, read 81,775 times

Advertisements

Howdy, I've been looking for a forum like this for awhile now, and I'm glad I found this one. This is my first post, so I thought I'd give ya'll some of my background. I am from a small Texas farming town, lived here all my life, and for some reason, I dont know why, but I dont really want to move to a city. If anything, I might move out to small town alabama, now that I kind of have ties out there. Is anyone else out there like me, lived in a small town thier whole life, and dont really want to leave the atmosphere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:41 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,956 times
I grew up in a town of 5000 and always felt crowded...I currently live on our 40 acre patch, 10 miles from pavement and have no intentions of going anywhere more crowded...

Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 PM

its weird, I have an urge to move like 20 miles away from civilization, for some reason. I guess I just like the isolation idea, but I'm just glad I'm not alone

Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM

6,501 posts, read 5,590,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
its weird, I have an urge to move like 20 miles away from civilization, for some reason. I guess I just like the isolation idea, but I'm just glad I'm not alone

I know what you mean! DH and I just spent Easter Break (I work for a school district) in West Virginia - mostly Blackwater Falls and Senecca Rock. Driving the back roads, you saw nothing but hills, woods, and an occasional cabin up on a mountain or a farm. No malls, McMansions, or sprawl. I thought it was Heaven! I already live in the rural outskirts of small town Pennsylvania, but compared to West Virginia, there are too many people here.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I know what you mean! DH and I just spent Easter Break (I work for a school district) in West Virginia - mostly Blackwater Falls and Senecca Rock. Driving the back roads, you saw nothing but hills, woods, and an occasional cabin up on a mountain or a farm. No malls, McMansions, or sprawl. I thought I was in Heaven! I already live in the rural outskirts of small town Pennsylvania, but visiting West Virginia gave me something to fantasize about.
Exactly, I cant stand all that pre-fabricated mess. Thats what I love about small towns, you go into any city, and everything is the same, but small towns have personallity

Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 AM

12,916 posts, read 15,772,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
Definately not alone hippyman....I've never lived in a city....lived in rural outskirts all my life....wood heat for last 38 years....wouldn't want it any other way.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 AM

41,490 posts, read 52,115,106 times
I like the quiet and lack of light at night but do not like the inconvienence created by the distance to medical facilites and groceries.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM

The medical facilities might be something to consider; one of the things that I love about living here is, the animals. I've fed oppossums, raccoons, skunks(through glass doors,) all kinds of critters and there are 12000 people in my town, I think i still qualify.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:00 PM

25,691 posts, read 24,527,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I like the quiet and lack of light at night but do not like the inconvienence created by the distance to medical facilites and groceries.
First of all, I like all the posts Ive seen in this thread!
Lack of a lot of street lights, smog and tall buildings is WHY we can see thousands more stars at night and stretch out a little.
Ive lived in cities and more so in smaller towns growing up, and there is definately a difference in lifestyles, 10,000 is way more than Id like but it sure beats 100k or a million, anyday! Even when I lived in cities the ability to get to work, a hospital or some places STILL tested your patience, heck I had to travel up to 40 miles a day (round trip) for some of my jobs when I lived in bigger cities...or had to sit through traffic lights every block, which still took me 20 minutes or more to get to work which was only 5 miles away. Right now I live in a town of about 3500 people and there are some pretty decent jobs about 9 miles out, but they are hard to get your foot into the doors.
Good thread, I love this one!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
First of all, I like all the posts Ive seen in this thread!
Lack of a lot of street lights, smog and tall buildings is WHY we can see thousands more stars at night and stretch out a little.
Ive lived in cities and more so in smaller towns growing up, and there is definately a difference in lifestyles, 10,000 is way more than Id like but it sure beats 100k or a million, anyday! Even when I lived in cities the ability to get to work, a hospital or some places STILL tested your patience, heck I had to travel up to 40 miles a day (round trip) for some of my jobs when I lived in bigger cities...or had to sit through traffic lights every block, which still took me 20 minutes or more to get to work which was only 5 miles away. Right now I live in a town of about 3500 people and there are some pretty decent jobs about 9 miles out, but they are hard to get your foot into the doors.
Good thread, I love this one!
Thats one thing I have against where I live right now, the hospital isnt that good. Also, this town cant seem to make up its mind; there are, I think 3 stop lights, when we only need one; theres no need for alot of the legislations, but that comes with any place. Anyone know anything about Oak Grove, AL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living