U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 AM

37,149 posts, read 43,082,479 times

Advertisements

I grew up rurally and would have much preferred to have a few more on patrol. I lived out of city limits of any one town or village, so the few small towns that had a dedicated police force did not service where I lived, due to jurisdictional issues. That left county and state police. A geographically large county with proportionally few towns of low population means that you don't get very many county deputies out patrolling (the deputies are the ones out and about, sheriff itself is a largely administrative and political position). We would NEVER see county cars on our road, ever, and if called for some valid reason, it could take a while. When I was a newspaper reporter, I asked a local deputy, off the record, why I never saw county cars on my parents' road when growing up, and he said, (again, off the record) that the deputies would avoid patrolling gravel roads, because they'd have to wash the cars too often, and they'd get dinged up by rock chips. Okay, but in a county that's largely rural, if you avoid the gravel roads, that means a HUGE percentage of the county's not getting patrolled. And forget state police...the only time I ever saw state troopers in our neck of the woods was during a search in a high-profile child abduction case, where various abandoned farmhouses were being searched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,912,673 times
Interesting issue. I assume most large rural counties have low crime rates. It's also been my experience that most police officers/sheriff's deputies rarely stop crimes as they're in progress, they merely respond after the fact. In large rural counties, law enforcement can probably get away with not patrolling so much because they would be driving around aimlessly waiting for a dispatcher to send them anywhere in the county to respond to a call.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM

434 posts, read 449,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
12,000 people does not sound like a small town to me at all. We have 500 people, no police and supposedly two deputies in town. It's harder than hell to get them to show up. So, no, I don't think 23 police officers is too much. Especially since they have to rotate, so it's not like there is always 23 officers just watching you, waiting, waiting to get you!

A town of 12,000 is a really small town. There is a town like that near where I live in Minnesota. I actually lived there for a few years. This town has way too many town cops, as I hate to call it a city. These cops don't have very much to do, as there isn't much going on, even though it is a college town. They like to single people out. They also give out tickets and make up stories to get you convicted of a misdemeanor just to get you to pay a fine to support the crooked overstaffed police force.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,127,415 times
agree witht he one who points out the difference i duties of police deptments and Sheriffs of counties. most cities actually formed police deptments to have more law enforcemnt avilable that is spread so thin with it duites that sheriffs have.few sheriffs have the poersonell to effective police anythig other than the unencorporated areas of a county really plus handle the other duties given him like runig the county jsil ;suply sercurity to county courts and serving mnay of the court sumons to courts.It not the numebr of police evhilces which by maintenance alone must be larger than force but the number of police officers verus the area patrolled and the crime arte itself. i really don't know any police deptment that isn't beig call on to do more enforcement how days.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 PM

675 posts, read 1,261,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
They like to single people out. They also give out tickets and make up stories to get you convicted of a misdemeanor just to get you to pay a fine to support the crooked overstaffed police force.
I find this hard to believe. Statements with generalities like this are just plain silly. You sound like someone that is mad because they were ticketed or arrested for something, and had to pay a fine.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 AM

12,918 posts, read 15,776,377 times
I don't find it hard to believe....at all....and why shouldn't someone who HAS been unjustly ticketed or fined be angry about it....Dr Drew is not alone in how he feels.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 PM

It happens more than you think. Cops know which people to try to pick on. Any drunk in front of a bar can get make an easy target for a disorderly conduct arrest if the cop is having a slow night or is angry because Dunkin Donuts just closed.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 PM

675 posts, read 1,261,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I don't find it hard to believe....at all....and why shouldn't someone who HAS been unjustly ticketed or fined be angry about it....Dr Drew is not alone in how he feels.
Who was "unjustly ticketed" and how?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Who was "unjustly ticketed" and how?

I think someone finds it hard to believe that not all cops are honest and have the best interests of the general public in mind.

The most crooked, dishonest people I have ever met have been police officers.

I know a few people who have been ticketed for doing 2 or 3 miles per hour over the speed limit. I have also been nearly run over biking on a dirt road when this cop came by about 80 mph without lights or sirens.

I know a guy who got out of being arrested one time because the cop told the guy to buy drugs from people and then tell the cop who was selling the drugs. Not wanting to become a felon, and also not knowing where to get drugs, my friend never did this for the cop, and nothing ever happened.

I know a lady who got a DWI because this cop came up behind her really close in his car and started flashing bright lights off and on. When she pulled over to let this guy go by, and he turned his cop lights on and pulled her over because she stopped on the road.

They look for any reason to stop people up here. This had happened to a few people I know. They would be driving home or somewhere after dark, and another car that was coming the other way would intentionally turn it's bright lights back on while the other people were coming. When the people would quickly flash their brights on and off again, that cop with it's brights on would turn around and pull the guy over for brighting the cop.

They also have been known to patrol parking lots of bars and mark tires with chalk, or something on the headlights to make them shine different so they know which cars were at the bar, and then they would follow them and find a reason to stop them.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 PM

9,586 posts, read 17,766,730 times
I don't know if we have too many police or deputies in my town/county or not, but there sure are a lot compared to when I was a kid. I grew up in a farm town of 4,000. We had two town cops -- one for days and one for nights. We must not have had any during weekends, because it was only those two. And sometimes that was one too many.

Yeah, we got away with about anything we wanted to... except trying to back all the way through town at night. I got the red twirly light, was told it wasn't legal, and that he'd better not catch me doing it again.

There were a few smaller towns in the county, but no other towns over 1000. We had one sheriff and no deputies. I don't think I ever saw him patrolling. In fact, I don't think he even had a marked patrol car. I was friends with his daughter, and it seemed like he was always at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living