U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:56 PM

7,309 posts, read 8,167,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwall3 View Post
I've lived my entire life in Wisconsin, USA. I'm planning to move to Europe with my boyfriend and a friend of his this fall. We've been doing a lot of research, but I think I will get the exact answer I want via this thread.

I'm from a small town, and am currently living in a small city. I don't agree with my current style of living. I would like to live somewhere fairly liberal, small, and beautiful. Somewhere that values simplistic ways of life.

Does this exist?

if it needs to be english speaking , you might place the following on a short list

cumbria uk
scottish borders uk
carmarthenshire wales uk
donegal ireland
kerry ireland

all have plenty of small rural farming towns with more sheep and cows than people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 02:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,873 times
I have to concur with the aforementioned - Eastern Europe after the collapse of the Soviet Union along with the Eastern Bloc has gone through a wonderful transformation. Personally, I can speak on the behalf of the Baltic states. The three small countries - Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania - have adopted extremely liberal and Western-directed policies. And you won't find many large cities around here, except for the respective capitals. And despite that, Estonia is praised for its IT solutions and simplistic government system. I suppose being able to perform most tasks online has really earned Estonia its reputation as an e-country. Being able to fill in your declaration of income or creating a business in five minutes just adds to it!
Now, since this topic was directed at the search for a laid-back, simple-life small towns, I could indeed suggest a bunch of those in Estonia. Look at Southern Estonia for example. There are so many small, yet pure, healthy and green towns. Just pick one!
Estonians themselves, as unfortunate as it is, are making a run for it. Either for the capital city or better yet, as far away from their home country as they possibly can. Never understood that. Why would these small beautiful towns run empty of people? Guess that's the result of half a century of closed borders and lies...
Besides, considering how small Estonia is, distances are hardly a problem even when you have things that need to be taken care of in a bigger center.

Cheers from Valga County, the most beautiful, protected and loved secret in South-Estonia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living