U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM

37,131 posts, read 43,052,244 times

Advertisements

Oh, no, why would they ever include places with cultural amenities??? The horror.

Anyway, interesting enough list, though fairly arbitrary, but these lists always will be. I always like to check out places I haven't been. I figured going in that my personal criteria for "small town" would be somewhat different than the magazine's...some of them fit the bill, but I'm not really buying suburban Los Angeles and San Francisco, or a community that's a mere 25 miles from the borough of Manhattan to be small town. That may give some a real small town atmosphere, but not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 11:23 PM

20,068 posts, read 14,753,242 times
Me thinks magazine article writers have lobbyists much like the politicians do.

That being said, I'd vote for Monterey, Virginia.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 AM

224 posts, read 838,245 times
LOL @ Laguna Beach. Okay...

Old 06-09-2012, 05:06 PM

8,317 posts, read 26,166,398 times
Another list compiled by bunch of affluent urban dorks who wouldn't know what a REAL small town is--or the joys of living in one--if it hit them between the eyes. From the towns they listed, it's obvious that their idea of a small town is one of a "cartoon" vision of a small town, not anything true or authentic. Mostly listed are phony towns for phony people.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:06 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,142,432 times
This is a list geared towards folks who have $700K to spend on an old "historic home" in a "quaint village/town" downtown. Then they will go on and "renovate".

Pretty much my opinion as well. We looked at Ashland, OR., Durango, CO., Key West, FL, Gig Harbor, WA., Taos, NM and kept on looking. Quaint and charming but expensive and IMO, some were pretty much "one note". I'm surprised that they didn't include Jackson, WY which is charming, expensive and would fit right in on that list.

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 06-09-2012 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-09-2012, 06:14 PM

80,125 posts, read 73,100,062 times
I formed my own list before taking a look at the article, and most towns on my list were on theirs: Taos, NM; Mill Valley, CA; Durango, CO. I'd add: Santa Fe, NM; Santa Cruz, CA; Carbondale, CO. Just because celebrities live outside of Taos doesn't mean it's expensive. There are affordable homes there, especially in this current depressed market. Mill Valley is very high-end, though.
I've heard good things about Bend, OR.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:00 PM

18,987 posts, read 23,854,335 times
Oyster Bay NY. Home of the summer White House of President Theodore Roosevelt.
Despite it's Long Island location, it qualifies as a small town.
It is not a suburb, and it pre-existed the post war boom. A pretty colonel (1664) and Victorian city.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,432,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Oh, no, why would they ever include places with cultural amenities??? The horror.
There's nothing at all wrong with cultural amenities.
My point is simply that communities like these are going for the overt, whereas most of the small communities that folks in the thread were thinking of require a little more creativity to create their "culture."

Old 06-10-2012, 07:51 AM

68 posts, read 151,109 times
Default Menomonie, WI

The fact that this town is on the list tells me they aren't that snobby or elite. Sure there ight be some major yuppies out of Minneapolis/St. Paul that invaded the place, however this area of the country isn't exactly high society snobby living. Based on their blip, this one had some concrete reasons..........IF, and I certainly am not, into Shakespeare for one.

I always read these articles from various publications and laugh b/c I am a climate freak and couldn't handle living East of the Mississippi to save my life. I despise mold and humidity. Trade off: My beautiful house will probably burn up this summer from insane lack of rain! I do not think any amount of fire mitigation is going to stop a wind driven fire through a bunch of PJ (pinion-juniper). This is much less likely to happen in Menomonie

Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,925,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I formed my own list before taking a look at the article, and most towns on my list were on theirs: Taos, NM; Mill Valley, CA; Durango, CO. I'd add: Santa Fe, NM; Santa Cruz, CA; Carbondale, CO. Just because celebrities live outside of Taos doesn't mean it's expensive. There are affordable homes there, especially in this current depressed market. Mill Valley is very high-end, though.
I've heard good things about Bend, OR.
Santa Fe is not a small town and is very expensive. So it Taos. The market was never depressed in Taos or Santa Fe 'cause there is always a guy from California who sold his 1 bdr/1 bath in LA or San Francisco for a million dollars and can afford 40 acres with a mansion for half/that in New Mexico...

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living