U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:36 AM
mlb

3,484 posts, read 3,008,941 times

Advertisements

What you all may not realize - these "lists" have little criteria....and many of them are "subscription driven".

In other words - cities PAY to be on them.

It's all part of the marketing of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 AM

7,490 posts, read 6,581,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I'd say from visiting many of these that someone at the Smithsonian enjoyed exploring some of the more expensive "little" towns around the country at the expense of their Chambers of Commerce, but those that I've personally visited (Taos, Naples, Key West) are not what I would consider the best rural or small town living, unless I were to be granted an unlimited income.

Personally, these would be on my list:

Thomaston, ME
Boulder, CO
Waynesville, NC
Salida, CO
Middlebury, VT
McCall, ID
Fredricksburg, TX
Portsmouth, NH
Atchison, KS
Quinby, VA
Truth or Consequences, NM
Escanaba, MI
Moab, UT
Livingston, MT
La Conner, WA
Florence, OR
Red Bluff, CA
Clinton, NJ
Amelia Island, FL
Maryville, TN

Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'd say from visiting many of these that someone at the Smithsonian enjoyed exploring some of the more expensive "little" towns around the country at the expense of their Chambers of Commerce, but those that I've personally visited (Taos, Naples, Key West) are not what I would consider the best rural or small town living, unless I were to be granted an unlimited income.

Thomaston, ME
Boulder, CO
Waynesville, NC
Salida, CO
Middlebury, VT
McCall, ID
Fredricksburg, TX
Portsmouth, NH
Atchison, KS
Quinby, VA
Escanaba, MI
Moab, UT
Livingston, MT
La Conner, WA
Florence, OR
Red Bluff, CA
Clinton, NJ
Amelia Island, FL
Maryville, TN
While I agree with you, most of the places on your list require a good amount of dough to survive in...

Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 AM

9,200 posts, read 17,056,239 times
Quote:

Thomaston, ME
Boulder, CO
Waynesville, NC
Salida, CO
Middlebury, VT
McCall, ID
Fredricksburg, TX
Portsmouth, NH
Atchison, KS
Quinby, VA
Escanaba, MI
Moab, UT
Livingston, MT
La Conner, WA
Florence, OR
Red Bluff, CA
Clinton, NJ
Amelia Island, FL
Maryville, TN
With a population just under 100,000 and a southeastern border nearly bumping the northwest corner of the Denver metro, I'd hardly call Boulder a small town. Probably not a bad list overall, though.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 PM

7,490 posts, read 6,581,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
While I agree with you, most of the places on your list require a good amount of dough to survive in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
With a population just under 100,000 and a southeastern border nearly bumping the northwest corner of the Denver metro, I'd hardly call Boulder a small town. Probably not a bad list overall, though.
I included Boulder because we were able to walk around it's core without trouble, but you are correct that it is not really small, per se. It is more than a hop, skip, and jump for Denver, though. As for the cost of living, it is something I looked at as we visited places, and was surprised how expensive every place is to live. That said, the OPs list had Naples, Taos, and Key West -- very spendy. My sister is paying $2000 a month for a one bedroom apartment in Key West, with no amenities.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,826 times
Quote:

Thomaston, ME
Boulder, CO
Waynesville, NC
Salida, CO
Middlebury, VT
McCall, ID
Fredricksburg, TX
Portsmouth, NH
Atchison, KS
Quinby, VA
Escanaba, MI
Moab, UT
Livingston, MT
La Conner, WA
Florence, OR
Red Bluff, CA
Clinton, NJ
Amelia Island, FL
Maryville, TN
I lived in Salida,CO. but just heard how things have changed there just wouldn't interest me anymore.

Last few years I have really liked Warsaw,Mo. Small,inexpensive,Shops,and just Fun Outdoorsy Town.

But your List is Good.

brushrunner

Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,560,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I wonder to what extent these communities will lose what makes them a "Best Small Town" by being listed as such.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Status: "living in a political world, where mercy walks the plank" (set 17 days ago)

21,746 posts, read 22,551,582 times
Quote:

Thomaston, ME
Boulder, CO
Waynesville, NC
Salida, CO
Middlebury, VT
McCall, ID
Fredricksburg, TX
Portsmouth, NH
Atchison, KS
Quinby, VA
Escanaba, MI
Moab, UT
Livingston, MT
La Conner, WA
Florence, OR
Red Bluff, CA
Clinton, NJ
Amelia Island, FL
Maryville, TN
I agree with all of these except La Conner which makes me ill just thinking about it, I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a spatula than ever see that hell-hole again. The only redeeming attribute of La Conner is the sign leading out of town that says "leaving La Conner". If it wasn't so expensive to do so, Washington would have long ago added La Conner to the Federal Supefund Site List and covered it up with clay and gravel.

I did like Kirstin's however, try the Alaskan Sea Scallops they're yummy.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
I wonder to what extent these communities will lose what makes them a "Best Small Town" by being listed as such.
Well, Taos is a fake craphole full of fake hippies from California, New York and Chicago who have million dollar ranchettes but walk around smelling like sweat, breaded hair and no bra and ordering $9 organic sandwiches. Santa Fe is similar, "the land of Georgia O'Keefe", puhlease, ever seen what she painted? She did not have to go to Santa Fe for that and ruin it for everyone else. All these lists do is ruin it for normal people.

Most of the the nice homes and ranches in these towns have the same story that goes like this: "My name is Karen, my husband and I were in corporate <insert one of the following: advertising, sales> for 40 years in <insert one of the following; New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago". We vacationed in <insert one of the following: New Mexico, Arizona, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana> and simply fell in love with it. Finally the time came for our dream to come true and we purchased the beautiful 40 acres bordering National Forest where we had designer <insert favorite niche home builder name> build us a beautiful 3800 sqft modern Adobe home of our dreams. We love it in <insert one of: Taos, Flagstaff, Jackson Hole...> - people are nice, all our friends are simply amazing, we have star gazing parties together, as well as hikes in our local development organized by the local bird watching society. We recently started a fund raising campaign to build a new animal shelter, given that the nearby small town does not have the resources to properly care for the poor stray dogs and cats in the area. We also assist with abuse cases, which, sadly are common here...."... blah, blah, blah.

OD

Old 06-21-2012, 05:23 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,530,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
It always cracks me up that the 'big city' people 1) have no idea what a "small town" is, and 2)that they say things like "There is, we think, something encouraging about finding culture in small-town America" as if it were a shock to find anything at all, much less creative and cognizant human beings, outside of their beltways. I've lived in huge cities (+1 million pop) and now live in a town of 145 - and there are museums, art shows, local band performances, even a cappella singing performances and melodramas, everywhere you look, and at least every weekend within a two hour drive. 'Culture' is everywhere, once you get off your subways and look somewhere else - besides down your own nose. And you don't need a computerized Google list to find it. I hope those writers weren't paid for this bit of mindless, effortless fluff. I found the whole tenor of this to be condescending and insulting - just another example of the "let me tell you what you should think" mentality in media.
I guess it depends on where you live, some people think that 50,000 people is a small town. To me, 10,000 is too big. Everyone has different ideas of what their version of small towns are though. I like having only one or two stores, some ma and pa shops, everyone knows everyone and even more, how a lot of people here generally dont bother locking things up. No I dont go around looking for unlocked cars or doors but hear so much about it, and even seen several examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living