U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:52 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,435,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Most of the the nice homes and ranches in these towns have the same story that goes like this:
I've noticed the exact same thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 01:25 AM

16,359 posts, read 13,805,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I included Boulder because we were able to walk around it's core without trouble, but you are correct that it is not really small, per se. It is more than a hop, skip, and jump for Denver, though. As for the cost of living, it is something I looked at as we visited places, and was surprised how expensive every place is to live. That said, the OPs list had Naples, Taos, and Key West -- very spendy. My sister is paying $2000 a month for a one bedroom apartment in Key West, with no amenities.
There's so much demand to be close to the mountain scenery and then the skiing!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 PM
mlb

3,484 posts, read 3,009,348 times
But in the west - you have FIRES:

Eagle Mountain fire expands to more than 4,000 acres | ksl.com

Old 06-23-2012, 04:32 PM

2,604 posts, read 6,074,858 times
It's interesting to me to read all the criticisms about this article. It makes me wonder if anyone read the article, or only looked at the list of towns.

As Smithsonian magazine explained it, the purpose of the article was not to present a list of the 20 best small towns in the US in which to live, (or for many other purposes) rather, specifically, to provide a list of 20 best small towns to travel to, hence the choice of "culture" as the marker. Read the introduction quoted:
Quote:
The 20 Best Small Towns in America

There are lists of the best places to get a job, retire, ski, golf and fall in love, best places lists for almost everything. We think any best place worth traveling to should have one quality above others: culture.

To help create our list, we asked the geographic information systems company Esri to search its data bases for high concentrations of museums, historic sites, botanic gardens, resident orchestras, art galleries and other cultural assets common to big cities. But we focused on towns with populations less than 25,000, so travelers could experience what might be called enlightened good times in an unhurried, charming setting. We also tried to select towns ranging across the lower 48. . .

Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,380,085 times
The lists are highly subjective and written by people who have never lived there and could not find it on a map. A dozen museums, mountains, history and charm does not make a town lovable or even livable. The really nifty small towns are not on any list, and neither are medium size towns that offer a reasonable COL and good quality of life. The drawback to most small towns is isolation and most are downright clannish to new residents.

One of the prettiest little towns I ever lived in was so snobby it was insufferable. Some of these little towns have very poor health standards, poor medical care, and dirty hospitals. Looks and lists are deceiving.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:27 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,807,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Heh...their inclusion of Taos, NM tells me all I need to know.
DURANGO COLORADO? Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick. HAVE THESE PEOPLE EVEN SET FOOT IN ANY OF THESE PLACES?????

I lived there, ok? LIVED THERE. The place sucks eggs on its best day.

ETA: By the way....Espanola is much better than Taos in my opinion.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-23-2012, 08:08 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 22,200,031 times
I have visited two of the towns and they both left me wanting to go back. I have been to Durango and Key West. The train in Durango was a treat but its sister train "The Great Smoky Mountains Railroad" was a treat also.

http://www.durangotrain.com/

Great Smoky Mountain Railroad

Last edited by NCN; 06-23-2012 at 08:31 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 08:47 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 22,200,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Now tell me someplace that doesn't have fires. That was one of the biggest fears my parents had when we lived about five miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. If it is a small fire, keeping trees away from your house works fine, but if the fire is big enough, the house will be gone and you just hope you know how to get away from it yourself. That is a worry we have when we travel. When I lived in the mountains, I knew how to get away. People visiting sometimes don't have a clue.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 PM

5,235 posts, read 11,815,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Me thinks magazine article writers have lobbyists much like the politicians do.

That being said, I'd vote for Monterey, Virginia.
I've looked into Monterey, Virginia and other small towns in the southwestern area. Monterey's population at a whopping 147 and the gorgeous area makes it very desirable. Now that's a small town, my kind of place.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,356,703 times
After reading many "best places" articles and surveys for about the last three decades, have pretty much come to the conclusion that they are best viewed as entertainment and amusement. Almost always they are slanted toward high income persons. The ones on retirement places tend to be the worst, they, and most so called retirement guides, push hard on the theme that unless you have at least a million dollars saved up by retirement that you might just as well lie down and die and save yourself the trouble. Since most of us fall far short of that goal, find this elitist and irritating. As a Westerner, have never been to any places on the Smithsonian list outside that area, but have been to most of the Western ones, and there is not one that I would care to reside in. The best small towns are the ones that are rarely if ever mentioned in any published or online article. When a small town is "discovered" by the well to do leftwing yuppies and retirees and they rush in and try to change it, the charm will vanish. Post #29 presents a sarcastic but realistic scenario of what can happen when an area becomes popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living