U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:52 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,082,354 times

Advertisements

That list is too biased for the West . Some of the best small towns are in the south and northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 02:38 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,872,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Did you happen to read about the fire in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan? 22,000 acres burned in that one.

Raging wildfire in Michigan's Upper Peninsula destroys 95 structures - CNN

Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,568,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Well, Taos is a fake craphole full of fake hippies from California, New York and Chicago who have million dollar ranchettes but walk around smelling like sweat, breaded hair and no bra and ordering $9 organic sandwiches. Santa Fe is similar, "the land of Georgia O'Keefe", puhlease, ever seen what she painted? She did not have to go to Santa Fe for that and ruin it for everyone else. All these lists do is ruin it for normal people.

Most of the the nice homes and ranches in these towns have the same story that goes like this: "My name is Karen, my husband and I were in corporate <insert one of the following: advertising, sales> for 40 years in <insert one of the following; New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago". We vacationed in <insert one of the following: New Mexico, Arizona, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana> and simply fell in love with it. Finally the time came for our dream to come true and we purchased the beautiful 40 acres bordering National Forest where we had designer <insert favorite niche home builder name> build us a beautiful 3800 sqft modern Adobe home of our dreams. We love it in <insert one of: Taos, Flagstaff, Jackson Hole...> - people are nice, all our friends are simply amazing, we have star gazing parties together, as well as hikes in our local development organized by the local bird watching society. We recently started a fund raising campaign to build a new animal shelter, given that the nearby small town does not have the resources to properly care for the poor stray dogs and cats in the area. We also assist with abuse cases, which, sadly are common here...."... blah, blah, blah.

OD

Ha, The first paragraph about $9 organic sanwiches and breaded hair, you can't forget the station wagon with yakima rack on top! I see a few folks like that around Madison here. They're interesting to say the least.

The second paragraph makes me sick, sadly it's true though. Dang yuppies!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:10 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,560,915 times
Quote:
This is a list geared towards folks who have $700K to spend on an old "historic home" in a "quaint village/town" downtown. Then they will go on and "renovate".

Taos is #2? Crime index 520+, real estate unapproachable for a normal person.... Most of the places on the list can only be afforded by the rich.

Puhleeease....

OD
The list was printed in Smithsonian magazine!

Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,721,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Have been to most of those places and for one reason or another already mentioned, none would be my ''cuppa''. Of course all those places were specifically chosen for being small while also including a lot of 'cultural' amenities.... which is great but also usually equates to a higher concentration of education and income, aka, the ''yuppie'' factor.... often epitomizing the very competitive ''urbanity'' and ''pseudo-sophistication'' we're trying to get away from!

In fairness though, nuthin' is ever ''free'', and IMO the ''cost'' of learning to deal with a genuine ''small town'', is adjusting to the ''culture shock'' (at least if it's anything better than just a glorified ''theme park'')!

Old 12-18-2012, 01:27 PM

7,778 posts, read 13,231,753 times
I have to put a plug in for a small town with a great university and retirement area. I live 20 miles from Murray, Ky., home of Murray State University. Murray Kentucky Convention and Visitor's Bureau is your Calloway County and Kentucky Lake area source for lodging listings, dining listings, event listings, attraction listings and more. Murray Kentucky is home to Freedom Fest, Squealing on the Squar , Murray, Kentucky - MyMurray.com For several years Murray has been on the list of Friendliest Small Town in America by USA Today and Rand McNalley. "Recognized nationally, Murray has won numerous awards including Playful City USA for the last two years and 100 Best Communities for Young People three years running. " (from the web site). Murray has a population around 18,000 and Murray State pitches in another 11,000 students from all over the US and around the world. Murray State University > MSU Quick Facts Scroll down and look at National Rankings. Murray is also a certified retirement area. It's just 18 miles from Kentucky Lake Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley, and Land Between The Lakes and the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area (Land Between The Lakes)
Sorry to carry on so, and others who have read my posts before know how I feel about here in Western Kentucky. Lived here all my life (so far! lol) and don't see any need of moving away.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:49 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,046,772 times
Quote:
Well, Taos is a fake craphole full of fake hippies from California, New York and Chicago who have million dollar ranchettes but walk around smelling like sweat, breaded hair and no bra and ordering $9 organic sandwiches. Santa Fe is similar, "the land of Georgia O'Keefe", puhlease, ever seen what she painted? She did not have to go to Santa Fe for that and ruin it for everyone else. All these lists do is ruin it for normal people.

Most of the the nice homes and ranches in these towns have the same story that goes like this: "My name is Karen, my husband and I were in corporate <insert one of the following: advertising, sales> for 40 years in <insert one of the following; New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago". We vacationed in <insert one of the following: New Mexico, Arizona, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana> and simply fell in love with it. Finally the time came for our dream to come true and we purchased the beautiful 40 acres bordering National Forest where we had designer <insert favorite niche home builder name> build us a beautiful 3800 sqft modern Adobe home of our dreams. We love it in <insert one of: Taos, Flagstaff, Jackson Hole...> - people are nice, all our friends are simply amazing, we have star gazing parties together, as well as hikes in our local development organized by the local bird watching society. We recently started a fund raising campaign to build a new animal shelter, given that the nearby small town does not have the resources to properly care for the poor stray dogs and cats in the area. We also assist with abuse cases, which, sadly are common here...."... blah, blah, blah.

OD
Been to Brattleboro Vermont and sadly this is the case. Unfortunately the rest of Vermont is starting to lean or has already leaned in that direction.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:27 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,636,886 times
A small town is a town that is at least 75 miles from a city that have more than 100,000 people and has less than 20,000 people and no more than 4 elementary schools and a single high school. Anything else is either a suburb or a big town in my view. People here in Illinois often call towns in Kane County "small towns". They are not. They are suburban areas of Chicago. If you can out up an antenna and get the TV stations of a large city, you are a suburb. The rock hit "Small Town" was wrote about a town called Seymour, Indiana but since that town is a mere 50 miles from Louisville, KY I would not really say it is a "small town" because it is heavily influenced by Louisville.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:58 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,435,621 times

So what would you call a town of 1,000 people with a single elementary/high school (one building), no stoplights and about 200 miles from a city of 100,000+?

How about a town of 80, with a two-room elementary school, no gas station and again, 200 miles from a city of 100,000+?

Old 12-25-2012, 12:00 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post

So what would you call a town of 1,000 people with a single elementary/high school (one building), no stoplights and about 200 miles from a city of 100,000+?

How about a town of 80, with a two-room elementary school, no gas station and again, 200 miles from a city of 100,000+?
I would call that a modern day frontier town.
OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living