Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:16 AM

21 posts, read 45,659 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if there is a small town out there reminiscent of the 50's/early 60's. The kind of town that has quiet neighborhoods, safe streets, safe to walk at night, neighbors gathering on front porches for a visit, etc.. I realize that times have changed (actually they have made a somewhat drastic change), but I wonder if there is a place like this somewhere. If you think you know of a place like this or even live in one, please post. I'd love to know. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:18 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I've seen that place... in the movies.

Just kidding... We've seen a lot of little towns that feel like they are stuck in the past. Quite a few in central TX, and the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state. The problem with towns like this is business. Most were once thriving little towns way back when, until larger highways rerouted the population - and business - elsewhere.

Get off the main highways and drive a bit, and you'll find some super sweet little towns. No jobs, boarded up businesses, and usually only old-folks left in them... but you'll see the ghosts of those super sweet little towns, anyway.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:43 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Why does everyone romanticized the 50s??? Yuck.

Life is what you make of it, the same is true of towns. Decide what areas of the country you like the best, then research the economic feasibility of each area, then go from there.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for ? View Post
I'm just wondering if there is a small town out there reminiscent of the 50's/early 60's. The kind of town that has quiet neighborhoods, safe streets, safe to walk at night, neighbors gathering on front porches for a visit, etc.. I realize that times have changed (actually they have made a somewhat drastic change), but I wonder if there is a place like this somewhere. If you think you know of a place like this or even live in one, please post. I'd love to know. Thanks
Yes. I know a place like that.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for ? View Post
I'm just wondering if there is a small town out there reminiscent of the 50's/early 60's. The kind of town that has quiet neighborhoods, safe streets, safe to walk at night, neighbors gathering on front porches for a visit, etc..
I retired and now live in Baker City, population about 10,000, in Eastern Oregon (the dry side). It reminds me of living in Northern Illinois in the fifties.

Kids play in the streets. Almost no crime. Males and females can walk all night long with no problems. Except for emergencies, nobody honks their car horns. Maybe not as many people socializing on front porches as in the fifties, but many walk or bicycle over to the park or the river walk.

However, it's two hours from a major city (Boise) so it's too remote for many people. High paying jobs are hard to find.

It's a beautiful area. Baker Valley is between the Elkhorn Mountains:

And the Wallowa Mountains:

It's certainly isn't for everybody, but I love living here.

If this gives you a blank screen, try clicking your browser's reload button:
http://www.visitbaker.com/video/axkalinkaa.wmv (broken link)

Old 04-05-2012, 07:13 PM

21 posts, read 45,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electionsinmozambique2014 View Post
Yes. I know a place like that.

Okay, where is it?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I retired and now live in Baker City, population about 10,000, in Eastern Oregon (the dry side). It reminds me of living in Northern Illinois in the fifties.

Kids play in the streets. Almost no crime. Males and females can walk all night long with no problems. Except for emergencies, nobody honks their car horns. Maybe not as many people socializing on front porches as in the fifties, but many walk or bicycle over to the park or the river walk.

However, it's two hours from a major city (Boise) so it's too remote for many people. High paying jobs are hard to find.

It's a beautiful area. Baker Valley is between the Elkhorn Mountains:

And the Wallowa Mountains:

It's certainly isn't for everybody, but I love living here.

If this gives you a blank screen, try clicking your browser's reload button:
http://www.visitbaker.com/video/axkalinkaa.wmv (broken link)
It looks lovely. I'm leaning toward Idaho to retire, but this looks lovely too. Thanks for posting and sharing the Baker City area.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Why does everyone romanticized the 50s??? Yuck.

Life is what you make of it, the same is true of towns. Decide what areas of the country you like the best, then research the economic feasibility of each area, then go from there.
If you weren't raised in the 1950s, then you just wouldn't understand. Of course, they're gone so your advice is good.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:40 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Baker City looks lovely! And no scene is so perfect that it isn't made perfect by a picture of a horse with mountains.
Do people retire to Baker City? Are there many "outsiders?" Should I start obsessing now or later? (You really didn't have to include the horse, did you?!)

Old 04-07-2012, 12:19 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Baker City looks lovely! And no scene is so perfect that it isn't made perfect by a picture of a horse with mountains.
Do people retire to Baker City? Are there many "outsiders?" Should I start obsessing now or later? (You really didn't have to include the horse, did you?!)
I was driving down the road and saw the horses and the haystack so I decided to take the picture. The horses got nervous so I had to wait a bit.

This is ranching country so there are a lot of horses and lotsa alfalfa is grown, which accounts for the hay stack. It would have been better if the picture included some cattle.

Some people retire here, but as I said, it isn't for everybody. I say this because it IS a rural area – Baker City is not the urban outpost that many people, who think they want to move to a rural town, are actually seeking. By this I mean the people who are seeking a liberal rural town.

One thing I like about here is most people don't really care what your politics are.

Here is an “outsider” who moved to a small town near here. People wondered whatever happened to the person who was on the cover of the very first SI swimsuit issue – they found her in Halfway, Oregon: From cover to cover: Reflections from SI's first swimsuit star - CNN

Halfway is on the Hells Canyon Scenic Byway: Hells Canyon Scenic Byway | Designated An All-American Road – One of America's Premier Scenic Routes

If you are old enough, you might remember the movie Paint Your Wagon. It was filmed near here and the story of its filming is interesting: Movies filmed in Oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living