U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:55 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,979,397 times

Advertisements

Some small towns in Illinois are not that bad and more liberal than many other places. I'd recommend that you check towns near the Quad Cities which is in the Illinois/Iowa border. The Quad Cities area is fairly big, about 100,000 residents, but there are a lot of smaller towns nearby and it's a fairly tolerant area. Housing is cheap too. Jobs may be hard but it's the same everywhere.
Geneseo is in that area and it's a cute little town. I don't know how tolerant it is towards transexuals but the area in general is not very conservative. All small towns are going to be on the conservative side but in my experience this area is less so than other small towns.
You definitely don't want to live in Indiana if you're transgender. Indiana is very conservative and definitely not tolerant of anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 06:58 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,625,075 times
there are some small towns in Central IL that could be very well suited for you. Take the town I live in, it is Clinton, IL and it is a town of about 7k, surrounded by corn fields. It is a small commurnity but is relatively close to bigger towns, which gives a person access to things a big town offers, without having to live in one. Also, many people work in the bigger towns which do pay better, but live in our town, where the cost of living is far less.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 AM

14 posts, read 20,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Some small towns in Illinois are not that bad and more liberal than many other places. I'd recommend that you check towns near the Quad Cities which is in the Illinois/Iowa border. The Quad Cities area is fairly big, about 100,000 residents, but there are a lot of smaller towns nearby and it's a fairly tolerant area. Housing is cheap too. Jobs may be hard but it's the same everywhere.
Geneseo is in that area and it's a cute little town. I don't know how tolerant it is towards transexuals but the area in general is not very conservative. All small towns are going to be on the conservative side but in my experience this area is less so than other small towns.
You definitely don't want to live in Indiana if you're transgender. Indiana is very conservative and definitely not tolerant of anything like that.
I am relieved to know there are towns in Illinois I can actually consider. But how about Iowa? Isn't it, they already approved same sex marriage? DO you think I will be just fine living in a small town there?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 AM

2,263 posts, read 2,182,008 times
Check out Sierra Vista, AZ. It is an incredibly friendly town and probably the one small town I have been in that has a very large transsexual population. I believe there is a doc there who does gender reassignment surgery, so it has become a haven.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM

13,324 posts, read 14,575,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
For the record, P-town (the gay-friendly town) usually refers to Provincetown, Massachusetts (on Cape Cod), not Providence, Rhode Island.

My sister is a lesbian who lives in California, but she has thought about moving to P-town when she retires.
It is a very expensive town to buy property in from what I have heard.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM

944 posts, read 1,491,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDarwin View Post
The thing is, I prefer the farm-like setting of the Midwest states like Iowa and Illinois. I am not very thrilled to be living in a desert-like location. But I will have a check. Thank you.

Try Roland, Iowa

Old 05-11-2012, 02:57 PM

13,698 posts, read 15,861,250 times
Quote:
I am totally clueless who these guys are.
I would also suggest reading something about the history and culture of the nation you are considering emigrating to, if assimilation is your goal.

Moving to a small town in any American state as an outsider is never easy, not even for a native born American, imagine how it will be when a transsexual Pinay/Pinoy does it.

Ku Klux Klan - Wikipedia

It's important that you conduct some research.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:52 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,979,397 times
Quote:
I am relieved to know there are towns in Illinois I can actually consider. But how about Iowa? Isn't it, they already approved same sex marriage? DO you think I will be just fine living in a small town there?
Iowa wouldn't be a bad choice either. Any small town anywhere is going to be on the conservative side since the residents haven't been exposed to much but in general Iowa is a pretty liberal state. I really would look into small towns that are near the Quad Cities on both the Iowa and the Illinois sides. This area in general is fairly tolerant. You see a lot of interracial couples there which you don't see in many other areas.
If I were you I'd get a map of this area, identify some small towns and look them up on the internet.

If you would consider a larger town Iowa City is a really nice liberal town. It's a college town and college towns tend to be a bit more open minded and tolerant of different people.

Now that I'm thinking about it LeClaire, Iowa, may be a good choice for you too. It's a very cute town and there are some "characters" that live there and are well accepted. It has about 4000 people and is right on the Mississippi river. It's also just a half hour drive from the bigger city of Davenport.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 PM

14 posts, read 20,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Iowa wouldn't be a bad choice either. Any small town anywhere is going to be on the conservative side since the residents haven't been exposed to much but in general Iowa is a pretty liberal state. I really would look into small towns that are near the Quad Cities on both the Iowa and the Illinois sides. This area in general is fairly tolerant. You see a lot of interracial couples there which you don't see in many other areas.
If I were you I'd get a map of this area, identify some small towns and look them up on the internet.

If you would consider a larger town Iowa City is a really nice liberal town. It's a college town and college towns tend to be a bit more open minded and tolerant of different people.

Now that I'm thinking about it LeClaire, Iowa, may be a good choice for you too. It's a very cute town and there are some "characters" that live there and are well accepted. It has about 4000 people and is right on the Mississippi river. It's also just a half hour drive from the bigger city of Davenport.
Notes taken. Thank you.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,244,647 times
If you want to live in the Midwest, you've already picked the two best states for GLBT people, in Iowa and Illinois. Iowa has same sex marriage, and Illinois, same sex civil unions. Most college towns are fairly small, and most are fairly liberal. Iowa City has a good rep from what I hear.

As far as the other midwest states go, Wisconsin, and Minnesota used to be pretty progressive when it came to LBGT issues, but have been backsliding lately, especially Wisconsin. Wisconsin voters approved a ban not only on gay marriage, but even civil unions about 6 years ago. There is a proposition on the ballot in Minnesota this November to ban gay marriage there, unfortunately.

As someone said about Indiana, it is fairly conservative, so I don't know how comfortable you'd be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living