U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 PM

14 posts, read 20,521 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think of Winslow, AZ? I know I said earlier not into desert-looking towns, but I can make exemptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 PM

37,143 posts, read 43,070,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Some small towns in Illinois are not that bad and more liberal than many other places. I'd recommend that you check towns near the Quad Cities which is in the Illinois/Iowa border. The Quad Cities area is fairly big, about 100,000 residents, but there are a lot of smaller towns nearby and it's a fairly tolerant area. Housing is cheap too. Jobs may be hard but it's the same everywhere.
Geneseo is in that area and it's a cute little town. I don't know how tolerant it is towards transexuals but the area in general is not very conservative. All small towns are going to be on the conservative side but in my experience this area is less so than other small towns.
You definitely don't want to live in Indiana if you're transgender. Indiana is very conservative and definitely not tolerant of anything like that.
My hometown is a small Illinois farming community, and I'm actually pretty surprised at the fact that one of my HS classmates, who has gone through the transgender process, still calls it home, has a hair salon business that does well, and generally has no troubles there, even though there are obviously many, if not most, people in town who knew this person not so many years ago under the name of Danny, not Danielle. It's not an especially progressive or liberal place, but it's not been a bad place in this particular situation, either.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,244,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDarwin View Post
What do you guys think of Winslow, AZ? I know I said earlier not into desert-looking towns, but I can make exemptions.

Never been to it. It was mentioned in an Eagles song, though. Arizona is a pretty conservative state, though.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My hometown is a small Illinois farming community, and I'm actually pretty surprised at the fact that one of my HS classmates, who has gone through the transgender process, still calls it home, has a hair salon business that does well, and generally has no troubles there, even though there are obviously many, if not most, people in town who knew this person not so many years ago under the name of Danny, not Danielle. It's not an especially progressive or liberal place, but it's not been a bad place in this particular situation, either.
Which town is this?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Never been to it. It was mentioned in an Eagles song, though. Arizona is a pretty conservative state, though.
Someone mentioned it to me as a liberal place, with North Arizona.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:58 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,295,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think this was an exception because he was a native...

Old 05-18-2012, 12:25 AM

475 posts, read 408,163 times
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions but I am looking for really small towns, not big cities.
Girl, you are going to have a really hard time if you move to a very small city. They tend to be homophobic and conservative (yes, they never seen a transexual before, how shocking !!...) and wont like your lifestyle.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:41 AM

16,337 posts, read 13,795,806 times
Probably college towns are more used to people who are different. But then on second thought: http://www.stwnewspress.com/local/x2...was-hate-crime

Old 05-18-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Girl, you are going to have a really hard time if you move to a very small city. They tend to be homophobic and conservative (yes, they never seen a transexual before, how shocking !!...) and wont like your lifestyle.
Challenging. But I hope not all small towns in the USA are close-minded.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 AM

5,235 posts, read 11,813,649 times
Quote:
I am confident it's not obvious, but I am talking more of when like say for example, showing ID to several agencies like the local government, library etc. Obviously, my ID will state I am male. That's basically how they will find out about it. And if they did, I have a feeling they will talk about it to other people, right?
You are who you are, so why should you even care if they divulge information to others. All get "discussed" no matter who they are, what they do, et al.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living