U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:45 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,457,948 times

Advertisements

I live in a town of less than a thousand people in Kansas. I guess that would make it presumed very conservative. In my opinion people that live in small towns tend to judge people on an individual bases, not on generalities. If we don't like you, it's not because you are transgender, it's because we don't like YOU! LOL

We have had some gay couples here and we currently have a transgender male->female. I can't say there is 100% acceptance, because everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but it seems she is accepted well. She worked here when she decided to trans, it was an adjustment for all of us, because of course, we knew her by her male name and had to remember to call her by her new name. She no longer works here, but she does still live in this town.

The only real negative I can see to living in such an isolated area is the lack of any LBGT social interaction. The nearest big city is 3 hours away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 03:49 PM

291 posts, read 788,660 times
Also look in MN for the most part the state is LGBT friendly the only real reason that the anti-same sex marriage amendment is on the ballot is because the GOP won a slim majority in the state senate which holds the power to initiate amendment to the state constitution. As far as which city as others have said look at college towns. Duluth, Northfield, Rochester, Winona, and Mankato are places I'd start. Also look at WI especially the area south and west of Madison. Almost forgot in IL look around Galena which is right across the Mississippi river from Dubuque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living