U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 01:39 PM

5,779 posts, read 6,691,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
We have coyotes, in profusion, around here. As more and more people have moved in, over the decades, their numbers have increased, they get larger , and fear of people has abated. Smaller pets are at the top of the menu, cats being a favorite. Many of the new by, former urbanites, put food out for them. Not a super great idea, by the way.

They will approach, quite close, at times, and act very "tame". They are not. At all. Coyotes are the ultimate survivalists. They adapt, readily, to all conditions, and thrive around people. I , personally, rate them close to sentient, on the intelligence scale, and numero uno for adaptability. I place them at the same place as a predator, as well. For sheer numbers and ...variety...of diet. They are specialized only for survival. I rate the coyote as "top dog". Period. They are not to be taken lightly.
Well, the one I went nose-to-nose with acted very tame, that's for sure. I don't remember if I updated this but I was having a coyote choir regularly for the last couple of years (very different sounding from foxes) and they always sounded like they were at place where the farmyard itself borders the field and where there is tall grass. My main dog can't go there due to me having an underground dog fence that stops him but when I got a new heeler pup, I heard her barking at that area one day and I stopped what I was doing inside the house and opened the door to call her back from there. I didn't actually see anything there at all right then but she was a pup and I didn't want her getting into trouble - and before I opened my mouth to call, a coyote rose out of that grass and was actually in mid-leap. He would have had her if she hadn't stopped right at the moment and was in the process of turning around due to the sound of me opening the door.

So that is when I decided to contact a local hunter. The coyotes were too brave and fearless. And it turned out that the local hunter had been spying on my property through his binoculars for a few years, having spotted the large coyote (probably) or maybe, since he has spotted wolf tracks, a wolf previously. He had been itching to hunt on this property, but hadn't asked because it is well-known that I've never allowed any hunting here.

So if I have to have some of them harvested, then at least I know he is a responsible hunter, and he makes his living off hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:28 AM

2,572 posts, read 2,611,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
So if I have to have some of them harvested, then at least I know he is a responsible hunter, and he makes his living off hunting.
That sounds like a good, reasonable plan.

Speaking to their ability to adapt and survive, a friend of mine calls coyote "the cockroach of mammals," with admiration.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:03 PM

14,530 posts, read 11,958,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
That sounds like a good, reasonable plan.

Speaking to their ability to adapt and survive, a friend of mine calls coyote "the cockroach of mammals," with admiration.
"Here's to our neighbor, the coyote. Who will outlive the Earth, Wind and Sky. He'll be here, long after, we've parted. Like the cockroach, the rat and the fly."

Old 02-23-2015, 11:17 PM

28,433 posts, read 18,221,208 times
The one you have to dig the bigger hole for? That was a wolf.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:08 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,805,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
something I thought of a while ago-if it is a coyote, I'd keep your dog away. Around here (NE PA) one coyote has been known to make friends with a dog, then lure it off to play-into the rest of the coyote pack as dinner.

From what missingall4seasons said, maybe they don't do that everywhere.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:23 AM

5,006 posts, read 13,995,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm still waiting for my uncle to set up the trail cam. I too think it looks like a coyote - or rather, since I've never before seen a coyote, it looks like my idea of how a coyote looks. The problem is the size. Anecdotal internet evidence aside, this animal is not border collie sized, as my vet tells me coyotes are. He is taller than my GSD, and that is what makes no sense at all. It is messing with my mind - he looks like a coyote, but his size and paw prints do not measure up to a coyote. And I am sure of what I saw in terms of height.

The paw print - I would like to get another few clear samples of his prints because they were so big, I doubt what I saw. We got a lot of rain overnight and so I hope to get another sample of his prints. But it depends on how far out in the field he is when I next see him and whether the grain, which is up now, hides his prints.

I either actually have the world's biggest coyote, or maybe it is something else. I would think I had hallucinated everything about him but my husband saw him too on the same day when my GSD was close enough to get a size comparison. My husband used to hunt and is familiar with coyotes, and he thinks it is a wolf based on the size.

I require more proof. All I know is I felt very vulnerable when that animal was 25 feet away and I don't scare easily.
I would like to add this: I have a pure breed border collie, and she is a lot taller than other border collies, and instead of being 45 lbs. she is 60 lbs. People say that is a lot of weight, but she is tall. So I can imagine that a coyote can also be tall like this one.

I have lived where I saw coyotes almost daily, and many wandered around alone in the day time. I have seen few wolves in my life.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:37 AM

24,841 posts, read 32,894,325 times
I am sure the coyotes in mid-Michigan did well this winter.........we did not get much snow.........so the coyote hunters

could not run their dogs very often.

They can not run dogs on ice or, frozen ground.........it hurts their feet.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:53 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,531,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I pulled up to a gas station here in rural Oklahoma and there was a pickup with two huge gray wolves in back. I asked if they were hybrids and he said no. Beautiful creatures, but why do people think a wolf would make a good pet? Even if you bottle feed them and raise them, they are still instinctually wolves.

One of our dogs was part red fox. At least according to the vet who went by the shape of the feet. That dog had no concept of fence lines.
I agree, as beautiful as the wolf is, I love 'em, my favourite animal in the world, but you cant domesticate them. I wouldn't kill one for sport, or a coyote, and not be sad.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 543 times
I live in Florida. Yesterday I drove about one hour north of Tampa to Hudson, FL to my Dad's for Easter dinner. It is a bit rural, but just down the street is US 19, and several golf course communities. It was close to 6 PM and still light outside. I was driving on a two lane road, County Line Road, where there was a good amount of fast moving traffic, when suddenly, what I thought was a large dog ran in front of my car. I was able to stop and pull off to the side of the road and the cars coming from the other side also stopped. I thought maybe the dog was a husky/Shepard mix and the most beautiful dog I had seen. The dog ran off. I have a soft spot for animals, and I can't stand to see one suffer. I am a female, and am not an animal rescuer or anything like that, and have no experience in that area, and currently have no pets. Nonetheless, I ended up turning down a side road to try to catch the dog and help it. I thought maybe someone had left it out of the car and just dumped him. I didn't want him to get hit. I saw him behind an abandoned church building, hiding. I got out of my car and squatted down and called softly to him. He was at least 100feet away. He slowly approached. I was squatting and kept my eyes down so as not to appear threatening, It was a male. He slowly approached me and I kept my hands low and cupped so he could see I wouldn't hurt him, the whole time calling softly too him....."come here...it's ok....." As he got closer though, I realized this was not a dog at all. I saw that his snout was extra long. He was tall. He looked about 70 lbs. It was either the most gorgeous dog I had ever seen, or it was a wolf or coyote! The thought crossed my mind that I was a complete idiot and was possibly about to have my face mauled. However I didn't want to jump up or run to become something to be chased. I didn't feel any fear and was very calm and spoke very gently. Also the coyote/wolf did not seem to have any malicious intent. He appeared lost. He came up to me slowly and touched his nose to my nose, smelling me, and his gorgeous and pure golden yellow eyes met mine for a brief second, and then he just quickly walked off. I watched him walk away and got back in my Ford Explorer, and thanked the Lord that I wasn't just attacked or harmed in any way. I immediately called my dad, and he told me that many coyotes have been reported in the area, despite that fact that it was fairly populated just down the road a bit. I keep thinking about how dumb I was, and lucky it didn't have rabies or didn't feel more threatened and attack. I'm pretty sure most animals can sense if your energy is peaceful or threatening, and he knew I meant no harm. When I got to my Dad's house I did some research and realized that although it was as large as a wolf, it was likely a large male coyote. My dad said that they usually travel in packs, and since he was alone he was probably just trying to get back to his pack. And that's probably also why he did not attack. I can't stop thinking about it. I guess I never knew that coyotes were running around Florida.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:28 AM

698 posts, read 470,903 times
If it was a wolf, you would know. They are large animals and don't really look or move like a coyote or dog. Coyotes are medium size, leggier, taller and skinnier than a domestic dog. I have seen a lot of coyotes while hiking, they act curious and skittish at the same time. Hard to explain but unmistakable.

Saw the picture, that is a coyote without a doubt.

Last edited by newtoks; 04-10-2015 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or