U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:19 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,415,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, the one I went nose-to-nose with acted very tame, that's for sure. I don't remember if I updated this but I was having a coyote choir regularly for the last couple of years (very different sounding from foxes) and they always sounded like they were at place where the farmyard itself borders the field and where there is tall grass. My main dog can't go there due to me having an underground dog fence that stops him but when I got a new heeler pup, I heard her barking at that area one day and I stopped what I was doing inside the house and opened the door to call her back from there. I didn't actually see anything there at all right then but she was a pup and I didn't want her getting into trouble - and before I opened my mouth to call, a coyote rose out of that grass and was actually in mid-leap. He would have had her if she hadn't stopped right at the moment and was in the process of turning around due to the sound of me opening the door.

So that is when I decided to contact a local hunter. The coyotes were too brave and fearless. And it turned out that the local hunter had been spying on my property through his binoculars for a few years, having spotted the large coyote (probably) or maybe, since he has spotted wolf tracks, a wolf previously. He had been itching to hunt on this property, but hadn't asked because it is well-known that I've never allowed any hunting here.

So if I have to have some of them harvested, then at least I know he is a responsible hunter, and he makes his living off hunting.
.............I'm sure you are aware of the 19 yr old woman (Taylor Mitchell) who was KILLED by two coyotes in Nova Scotia (on the High Line Trail), Oct 28, 2009, as reported by the CBC and a multitude of other sources.

The only good coyote is a dead coyote............(same goes for wolves). Talk to any rancher in Montana who has lost (documented) live stock (calves), new born sheep and chickens by the hundreds!! Domestic (not feral) cats are "high on their menu" as well as little "yippy" dogs.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 04-13-2015 at 11:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 01:28 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,010,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
If it was a wolf, you would know. They are large animals and don't really look or move like a coyote or dog. Coyotes are medium size, leggier, taller and skinnier than a domestic dog. I have seen a lot of coyotes while hiking, they act curious and skittish at the same time. Hard to explain but unmistakable.

Saw the picture, that is a coyote without a doubt.
Agree, the OP's picture was a coyote. Coyotes tend to look bigger than they really are due to their thick fur. The odds of seeing a wolf in the wild are very small so in most places if you see an animal that looks like a wolf or coyote, nearly 100% of the time it will be a coyote. The small exception to this is if you are in a wilderness area that actually has a wolf population, then there's maybe a 1 out of a hundred shot that it's a wolf. If you only see one lone animal, odds are it's a coyote as wolves tend to travel in packs. If you see the animal in an urban/suburban area or near areas with lots of human traffic, chances are virtually 100% that it's a coyote.

For the USA anyway, there are only a few thousand wolves in the wild, almost all of them in only a handful of Northern states. For coyotes, I can't find a good population estimate, but just based on the fact that their territory includes every state except Hawaii and that over 400,000 are killed each year by the government and hunters, the coyote population must be 10 - 20 million or more. So just based on these populations, the odds of the general public having a wolf sighting are very rare, even if they're in a state that has wolves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or