U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:05 PM

5,779 posts, read 6,689,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimanreturns View Post
Sounds like this critter has done no harm and is not aggressive. Why is everyone's first impulse to kill it? And why must it be a "hungry wolf"? Makes him sound blood thirsty. If he was hungry he'd be chasing something!
I don't want to kill it. I am in full agreement with you. The fields are full of gophers and mice, and a predator species is part of a healthy ecosystem. I live in the country because I like nature. We don't allow hunters here because I like nature and there are few enough places around here where animals can go and be safe.

So I would be totally all right with letting this animal live in order to hunt those things - that's why I was watching him to see what he'd do. What was abnormal about this animal was his lack of fear of humans, and I also have a responsibility to the animals on my farm, including the feral barn cats that just showed up years ago.

But since they are feral, and not a responsibility I choose, if this animal had killed one of my barn cats out in the bush, I wouldn't be happy but would think that was fair play. The fact that he killed one a few feet from the back barn door means he's stepped over the line between his place and mine. (The other barn cat disappeared for a while and I couldn't find him anywhere until he showed up a week after that, looking just terrible, but now cat No.2 is looking healthy, if still somewhat devoid of his fur.)

However, I haven't seen him at all since the day my dad shot at nothing. Maybe the animal is lying low, being more cautious about coming up to human habitation - maybe he has learned his lesson and if I don't see him, I won't shooting him - or maybe I haven't seen him because someone else shot him, far from here in a shoot, shovel and shut-up way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 04:01 PM

4,133 posts, read 4,850,874 times

Wolf Coyote

The way to tell the difference is Coyotes are smaller and Wolves look like huskies and are black, gray, or white. Wolves are also bigger and have round ears. Trust me if you see a wolf you will know it.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:56 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,355,644 times
Just curious, but how did this situation play out? Over three months since the OP, two since the last post. Would have to think that the problem has been resolved by now and the identity of the animal determined, unless, of course, it just vanished and left the area. Wolf, coyote, dog, hybrid, or still unknown?

Old 08-18-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Just curious, but how did this situation play out? Over three months since the OP, two since the last post. Would have to think that the problem has been resolved by now and the identity of the animal determined, unless, of course, it just vanished and left the area. Wolf, coyote, dog, hybrid, or still unknown?
I haven't seen him but the canola was just cut (canola was growing on that field and hid whatever might have been there) and so I'm keeping an eye out. If he is there, I should be able to see him now. One other thing is that the barn cat that escaped but survived the attack by the animal disappeared about a month ago. I haven't seen him or smelled him so I'm wondering if the animal ate him (if it's there).

And one night around midnight when I was checking on the horses I heard a strange sound around the pasture that was moving around - it was not a howl and not a bark or a yip. I walked out and listened more closely and still couldn't identify it. So I howled and everything went silent. No howls back. No yips or barks. I don't know what kind of sound a coyote or a wolf might make if they are all alone, minus a pack.

I also have a better camera and at the very least, hope to get a better picture if the animal does come around. But because of what he did to the cats, I also want him dead, so who knows what happens first.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 11,738 times
Cool Cats v Canines

Feral cats and coyote canines compete for the same food. Maybe Wiley didn't get the memo that the barn area"crossed the line". Maybe you need a couple of farm hounds to chase off the coyotes. Feral cats tend to over-populate like loose farm dogs and many go the way of the "shoot, shovel..." destiny. Then they get reincarnated as bankers and come steal your land.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:15 AM

6,591 posts, read 21,269,892 times
unfortunatly when you allow your cats outdoors, everntually they will get hurt killed or eaten...
its a risk we all take with barn cats/outdoor cats ect.
if a coyote or stray dog doesnt get em, eventually a road will even if your 300miles form the nearest one, they expand their trritory slowly and will eventually find it...
thats why my cats while mousers also come inside for bedtime. spay/neuter also keeps them closer to home but then theres still the risks of wild animals.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
unfortunatly when you allow your cats outdoors, everntually they will get hurt killed or eaten...
its a risk we all take with barn cats/outdoor cats ect.
if a coyote or stray dog doesnt get em, eventually a road will even if your 300miles form the nearest one, they expand their trritory slowly and will eventually find it...
thats why my cats while mousers also come inside for bedtime. spay/neuter also keeps them closer to home but then theres still the risks of wild animals.
I can't catch the barn cats. There only were three barn cats. Now there is one. They came with the barn. They are completely feral. I keep cat food in the barn for them.

Oddly, in all the years we've lived here I've never seen them anywhere near the road, only on the fields.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimanreturns View Post
Feral cats and coyote canines compete for the same food. Maybe Wiley didn't get the memo that the barn area"crossed the line". Maybe you need a couple of farm hounds to chase off the coyotes. Feral cats tend to over-populate like loose farm dogs and many go the way of the "shoot, shovel..." destiny. Then they get reincarnated as bankers and come steal your land.
Well, there's only one coyote or whatever it is and it is the first one I've ever seen around here. And I do have dogs - had 4 of them, two died in the last five years of old age, and now I have two older dogs and one red heeler puppy. And yes, feral cats do tend to do that but we only had the three. And that last part is funny

Old 09-02-2012, 05:08 PM

26 posts, read 45,325 times
I haven't read the entire thread, but have you ever checked the tracks? A wolf track is huge, and a coyote track is the size of a medium dog's.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj121159 View Post
I haven't read the entire thread, but have you ever checked the tracks? A wolf track is huge, and a coyote track is the size of a medium dog's.
I did but I didn't quite believe it. It measured at least 4 inches. I found one perfect print. I think it is in one of my first posts. I wanted to get another example to be sure but wasn't able to as we've had kind of a drought since then and the ground is too hard and dry.

I do have an update though. On my way to town I saw something grey at the side of the road - I pulled over and I think I found my animal. It had been dead for a while - a week at least I think - his pelt was mostly intact, but all his insides had rotted. Feet were intact. He looked like the animal I had seen. I couldn't see what killed him. I told my husband who went to take a look, and he lifted the body and guessed it weighed 30 pounds after extensive decomposition. Huge feet, hubby said, with huge claws. Not a dog.

I was kind of revolted at the flies so I never looked really closely at the feet and I don't know how big a wolf's feet might be as opposed to their print. I might go and take a closer look tomorrow. I heard gunshots about a week ago, something I don't normally hear. I did think about my animal. Maybe he was wounded and died there, or maybe he was hit by a vehicle.

As an aside to that, the night of the blue moon, in the hour before dawn, for the first time I heard yipping that was definitely not foxes. Foxes sound like demons unleashed for the apocalypse. I haven't heard foxes here since the other animal showed up. Because my dogs started barking, I couldn't break it all down sound wise, but there was a single wolf-like howl that threaded through the rest of the pandemonium. When I howled, it continued howling.

Maybe it was a coyote howl. I don't know. Not ever having heard coyotes except through what I have listened to on youtube videos, I would chalk it up to coyotes but for the single howling animal that was out of place with the rest of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or