U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,490 posts, read 38,407,488 times
Reputation: 23086

Advertisements

Detroit, Michigan parks.

Just to show you how quick one can find very basic information. Now I'm looking at a site where you can volunteer for National Public Lands Day across the country to help keep up the parks that are public lands. Another alternative for those who don't want to have to or are unable to pay money to have access to public lands in future. Yes, if we use them, and we mess them up in the process, we have to work to repair that damage so we'll have them in future. It's the way the world works.

 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,490 posts, read 38,407,488 times
Reputation: 23086
Children have ready access to parklands, as well. Of course, their parents do need to introduce them to the concept - perhaps on a National Public Lands Day volunteering expedition? Now, that would be REALLY educational, much more so than whining because you don't get to enjoy everyone else's property that they paid for and are maintaining with no cost to yourself.
 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:22 PM
 
5,326 posts, read 5,212,867 times
Reputation: 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I already gave you two links that were absurdly easy and quick to get with google, that showed millions of acres of desirable public lands all across this country. It took me about 10 seconds to get BOTH links for you.

Others gave examples in their own areas of the same.

Are you just as carefully ignoring those as you apparently have the existence of all of those public and publicly-accessible lands before putting forth your theory?

In my youth, when we were all young and broke, going to nearby public parks (city, county, or state - remember, the links I gave were to federal or state of Texas parks only, there's lots more locally available across the country) was one of the more affordable ways to date.

Not sure what parks are in Metro Detroit. I'm sure google can let me know, though.
So called public lands are thousands miles away from population centers. What's your point, exactly? Let me guess, even if 50% of small corn hole towns in Ohio and Indiana do NOT have a single acre of public space, thousands of acres of barren grass land thousands miles away makes everything just fine and dandy? Absolute majority of Ohio kids have no publicly accessible natural environment to explore and to play in, not to worry, Texas state land leased to an oil companies magically fixes that.

I've been to Texas state lands, those are not fertile paradise. They cannot support too many humans, cattle or anything else. That's why they are "public".
 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Burlington, Colorado
347 posts, read 729,514 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
So called public lands are thousands miles away from population centers. What's your point, exactly? Let me guess, even if 50% of small corn hole towns in Ohio and Indiana do NOT have a single acre of public space, thousands of acres of barren grass land thousands miles away makes everything just fine and dandy? Absolute majority of Ohio kids have no publicly accessible natural environment to explore and to play in, not to worry, Texas state land leased to an oil companies magically fixes that.
So Phoenix, Flagstaff, and Tucson are not population centers?! What about Denver?

I guess it only counts if its in Ohio? Ok:

ReCreation Land - 60,000+ acres SE Ohio

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wayne - 250,000+ acres S & SE Ohio

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild...4/Default.aspx - All over the state

http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm-20,000+ Acres NE Ohio

http://ohiodnr.com/tabid/5159/default.aspx - 3,100 acres NW Ohio

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/764/default.aspx - 1,300 ac waterfront NW Ohio

Last edited by ohazco; 05-25-2012 at 03:38 PM..
 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:37 PM
 
5,326 posts, read 5,212,867 times
Reputation: 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Children have ready access to parklands, as well. Of course, their parents do need to introduce them to the concept - perhaps on a National Public Lands Day volunteering expedition? Now, that would be REALLY educational, much more so than whining because you don't get to enjoy everyone else's property that they paid for and are maintaining with no cost to yourself.
Yup, there is nothing that a few trips a year to remote parklands cannot fix (if you can afford it). I'm talking about everyday life of everyday people having no readily accessible space around them to enjoy and you throw at me some distant parklands in Texas and Metro Detroit area park maps. That what happens if you cage and deprive people of the accessible space for generations. They accept their caged existence as the only possible. For three pages already I try to explain that there were/are times & places (that includes USA, btw) where unregulated access to public (rather communal) land was/is an integral part of every day existence of an average community. All I'm getting map of parks and suggestions to drive 100 - 1000 miles to get my fair share of space. Yet, some people think I'm arrogant to say that you cannot explain Sun to cavemen who never saw it.
 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Burlington, Colorado
347 posts, read 729,514 times
Reputation: 498
No, what I said is that it is arrogant to assume the only reason we don't prefer your ideas is that we have never seen them or are not as exposed to or educated on them as you are, dismissing the possibility that we have as much knowledge on the subject as you but have come to a different conclusion as to what we think is the best way.

Last edited by ohazco; 05-25-2012 at 03:52 PM..
 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,490 posts, read 38,407,488 times
Reputation: 23086
Exactly, ohazco. Especially when it appears, from the available evidence in the posts, that we are MORE educated on them than RememberMee.
 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:50 PM
 
5,326 posts, read 5,212,867 times
Reputation: 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
So Phoenix, Flagstaff, and Tucson are not population centers?! What about Denver?

I guess it only counts if its in Ohio? Ok:

ReCreation Land - 60,000+ acres SE Ohio

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wayne - 250,000+ acres S & SE Ohio

Alphabetical Listing of Wildlife Area Maps - All over the state

Cuyahoga Valley National Park - Cuyahoga Valley National Park-20,000+ Acres NE Ohio

Maumee State Forest - 3,100 acres NW Ohio

Ohio State Parks - Maumee Bay State Park - 1,300 ac waterfront NW Ohio

Yup, 400 miles round-trip to enjoy the public bounty of abandoned mine sites in SE & S Ohio. That sounds as very appealing ersatz of public space most of Ohioan don't have.

I think we are clearly speaking about different things. I'm talking about accessible public space in a context of every day existence (like a river bank, lake or forest on outskirts of a town for kids to play, for example) and you all are pointing to 200+ miles trips that can make up for the lack of public space in everyday life. What can I say more except that I'm trying to describe Sun to the people who never experienced it? And I'm afraid I'm starting to repeat myself.
 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Burlington, Colorado
347 posts, read 729,514 times
Reputation: 498
Sorry, that post wasn't to prove we have the utopia you desire, simply to correct what you said about all the land being 1000 miles away in a desert... thats all. Sorry for the confusion.
 
Old 05-25-2012, 04:06 PM
 
5,326 posts, read 5,212,867 times
Reputation: 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
No, what I said is that it is arrogant to assume the only reason we don't prefer your ideas is that we have never seen them or are not as exposed to or educated on them as you are, dismissing the possibility that we have as much knowledge on the subject as you but have come to a different conclusion as to what we think is the best way.
So you were a part of mysterious "we" who came to conclusion that readily, no strings/long commutes attached public space is bad for America. I have no doubt that somebody made that decision. Towns and suburbs are intentionally designed so as to eliminate public space and supply abundance of no trespassing/loitering signs on every corner. It's a part of the American social control scheme. Amazingly the most democratic country on the face of Earth managed to eliminate public space from its towns. It must be golden age of democracy or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top