U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:52 AM

118 posts, read 229,155 times

Advertisements

THere is no problem having a nice car in rural areas but its the attitude that goes with the nice car people hate.

The I am so much better than you poor peasants attitude is offensive to most people. So as long as your not an ******* drive what ever you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 11:26 AM

9,582 posts, read 17,762,929 times
Driving a nice car is no problem, but if you're a business owner you're somewhat expected to support other business owners in your small town. It's an unspoken (or not) reciprocation. You "shop at home" and "support your community."

As an example, let's say you own a shoe store. You buy a car from the Chevy dealer. You can expect the salesmen and owners of the dealership to buy their shoes from you and to probably send their wives to buy shoes from you. Or you buy a car from the local Ford dealer. No problem. At least you bought locally, so you won't be scorned. But if you go to the big city and buy a Lexus, don't expect to sell too many shoes to car dealers in your town. You might sell some, but they're not going to feel obligated to support you in any way.

The easy way around that is to have the local dealer find you a nice Lexus and buy it from him.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:49 PM

34,458 posts, read 43,307,926 times
It may depend on some factors no one has taken into account.

At my school in suburban/rural Metro DC the teacher's lot is filled with BMW's, Volvos, Lexuses, Benzes, and a few Caddies. No one gives it a second thought (I drive an F150 or '91 Lumina, by the way). If it was in the rural PA town where I grew up the vehicle mix would be a cause of protests at the School Board meetings, pickets at the schools, angry Letters to the Editor and editorials in the local paper.

If you're an elected official in a small town then you buy small. I had a complaint to the MD Office of the Special Prosecutor filed by a resident many years ago about a new car I bought. She was convinced I was embezzling Town funds. The car? A 1989 Plymouth Reliant.
One of our Mayors always had an aura of wrongdoing about him so when he got a new Lincoln Town Car the joke was that it was the "Town" car.

A doctor can drive a Caddie but not a lawyer. Why not a lawyer? Because every person in Town that the lawyer has won a judgement from will see his money driving down the road and get pissed off all over again. A high end Buick (or, in earlier days, Olds or Pontiac) was ok. Just not a Caddie.

If there's some labor strife in the area it's usually a good idea for the plant management to not be showy.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 8,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It may depend on some factors no one has taken into account.

At my school in suburban/rural Metro DC the teacher's lot is filled with BMW's, Volvos, Lexuses, Benzes, and a few Caddies. No one gives it a second thought (I drive an F150 or '91 Lumina, by the way). If it was in the rural PA town where I grew up the vehicle mix would be a cause of protests at the School Board meetings, pickets at the schools, angry Letters to the Editor and editorials in the local paper.

If you're an elected official in a small town then you buy small. I had a complaint to the MD Office of the Special Prosecutor filed by a resident many years ago about a new car I bought. She was convinced I was embezzling Town funds. The car? A 1989 Plymouth Reliant.
One of our Mayors always had an aura of wrongdoing about him so when he got a new Lincoln Town Car the joke was that it was the "Town" car.

A doctor can drive a Caddie but not a lawyer. Why not a lawyer? Because every person in Town that the lawyer has won a judgement from will see his money driving down the road and get pissed off all over again. A high end Buick (or, in earlier days, Olds or Pontiac) was ok. Just not a Caddie.

If there's some labor strife in the area it's usually a good idea for the plant management to not be showy.
See this kind of behavior makes small towns seem ridiculous and backwards. How dare other people dictate what someone can or cannot drive. Other than the lawyer winning the judgement and someone relying on their job as an elected official as the sole source of their income, I don't see how a doctor is different than any other business owner in that only the doctor is "ALLOWED" to drive the Cadillac. Disgusting!

Old 05-30-2012, 06:17 AM

34,458 posts, read 43,307,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith217 View Post
See this kind of behavior makes small towns seem ridiculous and backwards. How dare other people dictate what someone can or cannot drive. Other than the lawyer winning the judgement and someone relying on their job as an elected official as the sole source of their income, I don't see how a doctor is different than any other business owner in that only the doctor is "ALLOWED" to drive the Cadillac. Disgusting!

And the behavior is different in what respect than people in upper end areas complaining if someone doesn't have a certain model car because what they have "brings down the neighborhood"? And yes, it happens.

In this area realtors got into Benzes several years ago. Those that didn't have them were ostracized by those that did and even became selling points for some of them. As in, "Well you know that ___________ only drives a ________. How succesful an agent do you think he really is? Whereas you know I'm successful, just look at my car".

Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 PM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
If you spend between $15k to $40k on a car, I do not think that anyone cares. Pickup trucks? $30k to $50k.

However Hummers and Ferraris do kind of stand out.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:01 PM

5,455 posts, read 6,720,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith217 View Post
OP, the folks are giving you humorous examples to make the point.

Most people do not care what kind of car a person drives, they do care about the kind of person he/she is. Especially in a small town where you stand a good chance of having to come in contact with each other often.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:07 PM

4,998 posts, read 6,807,171 times
I drove a Mercedes in my previous pre-rural life and it just didn't seem like the kind of image I wanted to project in a rural, poor area of Idaho. My kids attended school here and we wanted to be more a part of the community than to constantly remind people that we were from another place.
A pickup was more appropriate for my lifestyle up here so I switched. I still have a pickup but now I drive my "north Idaho sports car"... a cherry red Jeep Wrangler. Way hotter than a Mercedes anyway.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:51 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,871,514 times
Drive what you want to drive. People will judge you by your involvement in the community, how you run your business, and what kind of person you are. As NWRepublic said, if one has an attitude and acts like a snob, that's what will create a problem. Personally, I think its ridiculous to spend so much for cars, when they only goes down in value. But to each his own.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:01 PM

20,611 posts, read 13,289,653 times
Tho here in Arizona it ain't smart owning a German or Swedish car unless you're in Phoenix or Tucson cause there ain't any dealers for them in places like Prescott, Bullhead and so on. That's why people drive US or Japanese cars in places like that. Like other posters said: many people in the little towns DO like their big crew can pickup trucks, Suburbans or Jeeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living