U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:46 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,022,330 times

Advertisements

Corn are doing great in my region... same with rye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 03:49 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,432,925 times
I don't know much about crops. We grow grass. And the pastures are starting to get awfully dry...

To make it worse, my husband works in the oil patch in ND and every time I talk to him he's complaining about the fact that it's raining.
Again.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:26 PM

5,778 posts, read 6,688,044 times
We were afraid of another drought year - almost no rain last year, and no snow to speak of this last winter, and fires springing up everywhere. Most crops were in the ground by the end of April but the soil was powder dry. Now we've had two rainy weeks and everything is looking really good. We're not too wet yet but a little sunshine would be nice and we're supposed to have that starting tomorrow.

The garden is also looking good. I had it in by the end of April.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,544,550 times
The ground is so dry the catfish are carrying canteens.....seriously we are in a drought in the corn belt. No measurable rain for a long while. The corn crops are curled and many of the fields have big areas which are turning black. The beans don't look as badly as the corn. Winter wheat is being harvested right now. There is a possibility of rain for this Sunday.....the farmers are beginning to do rain dances!!! LOL

Old 06-15-2012, 07:33 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Here in SE WY, Panhandle NE, & NW CO ... where folk have adequate irrigation water available, alfalfa is doing OK. But dryland wheat is headed out on a lot of fields not higher than 6" tall, probably won't be combined as the seed heads are not filling out.

I flew last Saturday over the region to check out who was cutting already, and found that a lot of pivots weren't run this year. Other than those farmers who exchanged their irrigation right water to sell to the fracking companies this year, it looks like a lot of people didn't have enough water to run all of their irrigation systems and natural moisture wasn't adequate for dryland crops on their land. For example, one local farmer has 9 sections under pivots and only 3 of them were fully irrigated, 2 were just 1/2 irrigated, and the rest were alfalfa that looked burned out.

Dryland corn and sunflowers looked very stunted, not doing well.

Regionally, it looks like hay production this year will be in very short supply.

I visited with my local ag spray operator this week, and he said that his business was off by 60% this year. Many area farmers aren't spraying much acreage this year because there's nothing there to spray. Not a good sign for all the various crops in the area.

In an average year, I need to trim up the native grasses that grow by my pasture fences to keep them exposed for livestock control, or trim up my equipment yard to have access there. This year, I haven't had to run a mower anywhere on our place. Neighbors with dryland that depend upon having some forage for their horses are already having to bring in hay because their native grass fields are barren this year; even the weeds aren't growing.
Ahhh, that worries me. Last year was one of the driest in TX and hay went up to $17/square bale. We've had lots of rain here but most of it came in a few events, not distributed over time. I am not sure (have to get some more information) but I think I will stock up on hay (I only have two horses) to last for a long while when the time comes. I am thinking if TX underproduces and there is drought in other hay producing areas, we are screwed

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living