U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2012, 01:47 PM
 
549 posts, read 874,450 times
Reputation: 962

Advertisements

Well the septic running into the lagoon is pretty common here since we have mostly clay and rocks. We were told by the guy who inspected our septic that the cat tails were a no no in the lagoon. We had asked the seller to get rid of all the trees and cat tails but they missed quite a few cat tails. And I think they need to go since they seem to be growing so close to the opening of the pipe. Lagoons don't smell and they are fenced off. No big deal. I was a little freaked out when we found the house and saw it had a lagoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 PM
 
833 posts, read 1,494,384 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
Well the septic running into the lagoon is pretty common here since we have mostly clay and rocks. We were told by the guy who inspected our septic that the cat tails were a no no in the lagoon. We had asked the seller to get rid of all the trees and cat tails but they missed quite a few cat tails. And I think they need to go since they seem to be growing so close to the opening of the pipe. Lagoons don't smell and they are fenced off. No big deal. I was a little freaked out when we found the house and saw it had a lagoon.
My farm was in rural Minnesota and the clay problem required a mound system.

The only manure lagoons allowed are for livestock and they are heavily regulated requiring lots of permits.

I can not imagine anywheer ( except in 3rd world countries ) that household septics would be allowed to drain in open lagoons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 12:43 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,779 posts, read 6,689,578 times
Reputation: 8308
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
My farm was in rural Minnesota and the clay problem required a mound system.

The only manure lagoons allowed are for livestock and they are heavily regulated requiring lots of permits.

I can not imagine anywheer ( except in 3rd world countries ) that household septics would be allowed to drain in open lagoons.
I've never heard of that either and we have heavy, clay soil here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Not on the same page as most
2,503 posts, read 5,627,373 times
Reputation: 1557
Maybe someone with a backhoe could come in and dredge the lagoon, and scrape out the vegetation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
9,200 posts, read 17,051,861 times
Reputation: 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Maybe someone with a backhoe could come in and dredge the lagoon, and scrape out the vegetation.
That's how they're usually taken care of around here. The fact that it's a wastewater treatment lagoon may require some permits to do that in this case, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,772,964 times
Reputation: 12782
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Surprised that anywhere in the US would allow a private septic to drain into an open lagoon.

In a third world country,I could understand.


I suspect you've never noticed the ponds by the interstate rest areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:28 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top