U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM

37,149 posts, read 43,082,479 times

Advertisements

Where I grew up, vandalism and breaking and entering are pretty minimal, because every farmer owns a shotgun and everyone knows it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,661,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Where I grew up, vandalism and breaking and entering are pretty minimal, because every farmer owns a shotgun and everyone knows it.
Guns and dogs usually make a rural household quite safe....

Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM

31,151 posts, read 50,332,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
one thing to look at about crime rates is violent crime versus thefts. Alot of rural areas with a high crime rate have hardly any violent crime but alot of thefts. So old lady Jones calls the Sheriff's Dept. because someone took her shovel that she left next to the road. That's alot better than getting murdered........
Where we lived immediately before moving here, was getting murders every week, a child abduction on our block, car jackings, etc.

Here in the nearest town someone complains about a drunk walking on the sidewalk and it gets a lot of attention. Barking dogs, and children diving into the river from the railroad bridge all get covered in the weekly news paper.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM

9,336 posts, read 8,062,385 times
Thanks for all the comments. I always considered that part of what keeps crime low is that people in small towns generally know what is going on better and know more of what people are up to and doing. There isn't as much going on and so people notice little incidents better. Few people are strangers in a small town. This may mean that one of the big negative factors is living in the country with few people around. That way the criminal can do his or her dirty deed and then escape and there's no one around to notice. Not so true in a small town. Everyone might know your truck and saw it parked where it never is parked. Its those kind of things that make a small town different than a suburb. I still think the small town big enough to have a police force would be preferable. The police also have a better idea of who is up to what in a small town.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:45 PM

The Game Warden drives through our town once a week. One time he apprehended a man fir-tipping on my land, The warden did not believe him that he had my permission to be fir-tipping. I was home and explained to the warden that the man did have my permission, so he released the man. Game Wardens here are pretty good at watching for poachers and illegal timber harvesting.

We also see a Sheriff Deputy when he does his weekly drive through our town.

That is about it for Law Enforcement here.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:45 AM

34,460 posts, read 43,326,884 times
Just looked at the crime report for June here. Population 2000, have beach, pier and boardwalk which draw people from out of town on weekends, sometimes 2 or 3000 on the beach over the two days.

8 thefts (1 unattended purse stolen on the boardwalk, 1 bike which was left at the end of the driveway (later found), the rest were thefts from unlocked cars, 2 of which were in the municipal lot serving the beach).

1 drug arrest, connected to the purse theft.

1 drunk driving.

1 disorderly conduct, tied to

2 responses to residences for domestic issues.

1 suspicious person, linked to one of the thefts from cars.

1 scalping of beach passes (we'd been trying to catch this guy for awhile). The dumb ass is a resident who would come and get a bunch of passes saying he had relatives visiting. He'd then stand at the parking lot entrance and try to sell them. The funny thing was that people were paying him more for them than they would have at the Welcome Center.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 AM

5,044 posts, read 8,033,418 times
I live in a small rural town that, if you just drove through and didn't see the people living here, you would think was Mayberry judging from it's old-timey appearance and carefully maintaned "downtown square".

But look closely. That "sucking sound" of the manufacturing jobs that went overseas, coupled with a now third and fourth generation welfare class that has never been responsible for themselves in the first place, and adding in all those who have now decided that a disability check and food stamps is better than a back-breaking, peasant wages job at Wal-mart, and you have a typical "New Normal" all American small town where only the out-of-staters who see dirt-cheap real estate and property taxes don't realize what in the world is going on. The rest of us that are working, on whose backs all this mess is falling, are trying to find a way to move back to the city where better jobs and, hopefully, some element of intelligence still exists.

There are neighborhoods in my small town that are so bad, most of us won't go near them even in broad daylight. And the bad thing is, those areas are on an increase.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:39 AM

We went to a house-warming party for our son and his GF last night. This was in a town of 5,000 population. We met her family and there were 20 people there. The GF's father is on disability. I am on pension, and my Dw works. Our son has a job, so does his GF. 2 grandparents on SS. It seems that everyone else at the party is either on welfare or they simply have nothing.

3 workers, 2 on SS, 1 pension, 1 SS Disability, and 13 on welfare or nothing.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:06 AM

5,044 posts, read 8,033,418 times
When I run an errand on my lunch hour from work during the week, I find the stores crowded with able-bodied people of all ages in obvious "non-working" garb (pajama pants, flip slops, etc., "gang" color garb, dirty and sloppy, etc.).

Sure, some may just be "off" for the day. But I get the feeling that is not the truth. This is something I have really noticed over just the past 2 - 3 years. Many of these people do not have the "social graces" to work in a middle-income, customer contact job, no matter how much "schooling" they get. A decade or so ago, they would have been able to find gainful employment in a local factory or mill. This is something we have done to ourselves for more "corporate profits" and so we can "compete".

I read somewhere that upwards of 40% of Wal-marts grocery profits now comes in the form of food stamps (EBT). Since Wal-mart is one of our largest corporations, and one of the largest campaign donors, think this is going to change anytime soon?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:38 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,531,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Heres one thing to think about, in small towns especially the really small ones of less than 1000 people, your more likely to leave your door unlocked..................

.............Now I never did this myself, but it's just that small town folks are more likely to not lock their doors and are more likely to have stronger relationships with their neighbors and what not. And most robberies are planned and the people robbing someone has most likely been in their house before and is familiar with their house and the people who live there and their schedules (when they are and are not home, etc.) Random robberies where people drive down the road and just pick a random house to rob DO happen, but those are very, very rare. No doubt the media and commercials for home security products make people think that stuff happens to 75% of the population on a daily basis.

Not saying that people in big cities don't leave doors unlocked or they dont visit their neighbors and get to know them quite well, it's just that it's much more common in small towns. I remember in my grandma's town of like 300 people we'd walk around the town for fun and she'd tell me who lives in just about every house lol
Being from cities a good part of my life it took some getting used to, when I first came to this small town in WI, to see people leave doors unlocked or car windows open while they go inside and shop. Even more so, cars running for the few moments they run into the Quik Trip for a soda or something and no one will bother you.
Everyone pretty much knows everyone so we all pretty much watch each others backs. Some folks may not like the idea of everyone knowing everyone but sometimes its for the better. Leaving your b b q grill out on your front porch, or kids toys in the yard, or bikes on the lawn for a few days out here isnt uncommon...without being under lock and key.
Not saying we dont have crime here, but I was looking at the stats and they seem pretty much accurate.
We dont close blinds, lock every door tighter than Fort Knox or put outdoor furniture under lock and key, heck, Ive seen really nice lawn furnitere out on front , heck, no one touches it. Boats with toolboxes on the front of the boat, out in the open, its still there 3 days later....
Just expressing what Ive seen since Ive been here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living