U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:46 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,660,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This is what I learned: 1. Look at the poverty rate of the area not because poor people commit crimes but because people who can't pass a drug test end up on welfare instead of working 2. Look at the type of crimes committed and you'll see a lot of robberies/theft where drug dealers run wild and welfare and drugs can be an industry for a small town that really has nothing else. The locals will swear to you that crime isn't that bad but keep in mind that they have never actually compared it with anywhere else and they consider every quirk about their area to be "normal". You have no idea the kinds of things they think that everyone does or things that go on everywhere! I learned all this the hard way. Do your research like your life depended on it!
Good advise, and somewhat of an eye opener, kinda crazy how one small little town or county can have a lot of petty crime and right next door there is hardly anything..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 AM

9,326 posts, read 8,058,022 times
Anywhere else: Thanks for that insight!!!!!. That is a GREAT insight. I'm going to start applying that to every small town I'm considering.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:08 PM

726 posts, read 1,030,310 times
I moved to a small town based on City/Data.com crime rates. The biggest joke I ever played on myself.
There is no crime here because no one reports it! They say they have their own sort of ruff justice.
Thats also a joke. Passive agressive perhaps, but not much more.
10 days ago I was mugged, left bleeding on the ground. Now, everyone in town "knows" something, but no one will talk.

Don't move to a small town unless you know most of the people there! Trust me.
I'm moving to a gated commuity.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,589,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
LOL! So somehow ALL small towns are the same as the crummy one you chose to move to? Not even close.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,504,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I always thought of small towns as a way to get away from big city crime. However, I'm wondering, based on a little research if this is not necessarily so. I haven't lived in a small town, rural area for some time. Is this typical, that small towns are not refuges from crime?? Are you as likely to be robbed or burgled in small towns as suburban neighborhoods? Or is it dependent on the area/state/ region you live in?
Small towns have big city crime, just not in the quantity, just like the job market.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
I moved to a small town based on City/Data.com crime rates. The biggest joke I ever played on myself.
There is no crime here because no one reports it! They say they have their own sort of ruff justice.
Thats also a joke. Passive agressive perhaps, but not much more.
10 days ago I was mugged, left bleeding on the ground. Now, everyone in town "knows" something, but no one will talk.

What state did you move to?
OD

Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,412,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
LOL! So somehow ALL small towns are the same as the crummy one you chose to move to? Not even close.
If you actually get the inside scoop, Bydand has it right. You just have no idea. Our crime is high but much is unreported and the news and newspaper doesn't announce it because it would make the area look bad, well, make the area look like the pit that it is and this is not just one town. When they are all related, as they like to brag, friends and families don't answer to the same authorities as outsiders do. I found most smalls towns that are nice have very little real estate on the market. Watch for blighted properties since they usually spell trouble also. Often, especially with the older people, when they talk about the town, they are talking about what it was in their day and often do not realize that things have changed and they are often the ones targeted because of this. There are people that consider theft and property damage as child's play and you don't want to live in their neighborhood!

*Decided to edit to say we are still looking for our new town. I am just horrified the next will be like this and we will have a hard time getting out again. I would like a small town but the problem is that crime is usually spread out across the town while in a bigger town, you can choose to live, shop, etc. in certain parts of town. I would say that if you are looking at a town and watching the newspaper and not seeing people busted for illegal drugs that you might expect that they just ignore it rather than it doesn't exist there.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 08-16-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
If you actually get the inside scoop, Bydand has it right. You just have no idea. Our crime is high but much is unreported and the news and newspaper doesn't announce it because it would make the area look bad, well, make the area look like the pit that it is and this is not just one town. When they are all related, as they like to brag, friends and families don't answer to the same authorities as outsiders do. I found most smalls towns that are nice have very little real estate on the market. Watch for blighted properties since they usually spell trouble also. Often, especially with the older people, when they talk about the town, they are talking about what it was in their day and often do not realize that things have changed and they are often the ones targeted because of this. There are people that consider theft and property damage as child's play and you don't want to live in their neighborhood!

*Decided to edit to say we are still looking for our new town. I am just horrified the next will be like this and we will have a hard time getting out again. I would like a small town but the problem is that crime is usually spread out across the town while in a bigger town, you can choose to live, shop, etc. in certain parts of town. I would say that if you are looking at a town and watching the newspaper and not seeing people busted for illegal drugs that you might expect that they just ignore it rather than it doesn't exist there.
If you want the idea of a small village being quaint and peaceful, Europe is the ticket.
OD

Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,359,824 times
I've read this entire thread and have some observations, about the biggest difference between Canada and the USA.

I think that the main reason why Canada has such a low crime rate, for all types of crime has to do with "education " and who has it.

As a country, Canada leads the world in University graduates, based on a percentage of our total population. Canada has a national population of 34 million people, and 53 percent of adult Canadians hold at least one 4 year University degree, and many have more than one.

We also spend a lot of money on Universal health care.

So, how does having a University education and being sure that you and your family are totally covered by a country wide health care program relate to crime rates?

Poor people steal, and don't have the education to get a secure, well paying job. Being educated is the one thing that lifts people out of poverty. Poverty and crime go hand in hand.

Canada has never had the "criminal underclass " that the USA has. People without hope tend to be criminals.

Not to say that Canada has NO crime, but we sure do have LESS of it.

One of the ways that we differ from the USA is the way that our Police services are funded. Provincial funding for Police is based on the NEED for it, not the population size. Sure big cities have more Police officers, but the "small rural places " are well manned and have the full resources that the Province can bring to bear, if needed. No squabbles about "jurisdiction " , either.

In the Province that I live in, Ontario, we have big city Police Services, but the Ontario Provincial Police have 7,000 officers that are spread out across the Province ( Ontario is just as big as Texas in square mile area ) and they can be brought in, if needed, at any time, to bolster a detachment, that needs help with a big situation. The population of Ontario is 13 million people. The largest city is Toronto with a population of about 5 million people, and a Police Service of 5500 officers, plus 2400 civillian employees.

I mentioned education, and that is one big difference between Canada and the USA, as it pertains to the level of training and professional education that our Police officers have. We look for mature and well educated Police recruits, and we pay them very well, and make sure that they continue to acquire MORE education as they progess through their careers. Being able to speak, read and write a foreign language is worth 15 extra points, on the entrance interview. As is a University undergraduate degree.

A final point ...... The BEST crime city in the USA, would be one of the worst cities, in Canada. Based on incidents per 100,000 of population. How about this, a city of 250,000, in Ontario that had NO homicides for TWO full years ? Windsor, Ontario, is the name.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:54 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,956 times
I think you might be right, Jim.

On a similar note, my husband is frequently commenting on how much more laid back Canadians seem to be than Americans.
He works in the oil field in North Dakota/Montana, and, by extension, Saskatchewan. He works for both American and Canadian companies and finds it interesting that almost to a man, the Canadians are happier and more easy-going. Even company heads...
He finds it intriguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living