Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:41 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times

Advertisements

Itsmefred.

I agree, and I usually point out to Americans that not having to worry about being sent into bankruptcy, by huge medical bills, goes a long way towards explaining our happiness.

A second point is the much lower crime rates in my country, as a whole. We are not afraid of our neighbours, and it shows.

I read about how Americans are buying homes in "Gated Communities ". In Canada, there are no such things. We also don't have "home owners associations", that can dictate about what colour your garage door can be painted. We do have ratepayers associations, but their sole reason for being is to represent a certain neighbourhood, at city council. They have no power over their members homes, or local building standards.

Jim B

Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 07:11 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,456 times
Quote:
I read about how Americans are buying homes in "Gated Communities ". In Canada, there are no such things. We also don't have "home owners associations"
To be fair, I would venture to guess the vast majority of Americans don't live in gated communities or HSAs, either. To be sure, I don't have either within at least 100 miles in any direction...

Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
It seems that drugs, gangs, and a plethora of evil people are out to ruin our country and they are winning. Until the attitude about crime changes, I guess this will continue. As for me, the rural thing is out. I'm sure I'd be very safe in the northern midwest, but its too cold for retirement there. The rural south is very questionable, so I guess I stick with the suburbs.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Itsmefred.

I agree, and I usually point out to Americans that not having to worry about being sent into bankruptcy, by huge medical bills, goes a long way towards explaining our happiness.

A second point is the much lower crime rates in my country, as a whole. We are not afraid of our neighbours, and it shows.

I read about how Americans are buying homes in "Gated Communities ". In Canada, there are no such things. We also don't have "home owners associations", that can dictate about what colour your garage door can be painted. We do have ratepayers associations, but their sole reason for being is to represent a certain neighbourhood, at city council. They have no power over their members homes, or local building standards.

Jim B

Toronto.
You communists!
OD

Old 09-27-2012, 02:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Where you live in rural America makes a difference. I live in an Ag county where there is a greater chance your ammonia tank will be stolen, than a chance your house will be burglarized. 14,000 in 700 square miles is not a populated area so the pickin' is slim. It does not mean we do not have services, because we do. I just means it might be 10 miles.

You can't escape drugs and crime, or the dregs of society; it's life. As far I am concerned I never lived in any community that was pure as driven snow that did not have a bad seed element. The difference is the degree of anger. Sometimes its internal in families and gangs, and sometimes it is organized. Most of the stuff in my community is the former and not the latter.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
14,000 in 700 square miles is not a populated area so the pickin' is slim. It does not mean we do not have services, because we do. I just means it might be 10 miles.
Wow...ten miles...positively far flung

Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM

Just how far "far flung" actually is ... depends upon where you are in the county in relation to where you want to go. A township is 6 square miles. My seasonal farmers market is 15 miles, and my satellite bank is 23 miles, but if I want to go to a BIG town to do my banking and some shopping, or do a little gadding about (because I can), then it's a 120 miles round trip.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:35 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
It seems that drugs, gangs, and a plethora of evil people are out to ruin our country and they are winning. Until the attitude about crime changes, I guess this will continue. As for me, the rural thing is out. I'm sure I'd be very safe in the northern midwest, but its too cold for retirement there. The rural south is very questionable, so I guess I stick with the suburbs.
I agree. Drugs are a big problem. Poor people don't steal because they are poor but because they are on drugs and need a fix. In SE KS, illegal drug is pretty much ignored and the welfare rate is high. You can watch the drug traffic start to move after the first of the month comes around, watch thefts rise after all our tax provided dollars have been spent on drugs. Yeah, it is reported but it is an industry the best I could tell. Stealing metal items is popular because they sell it easily and for a pretty good price. There are jobs but you can't get a job if you don't pass the drug test. Being in a rural area is more risky because it takes forever for the sheriff to arrive if they do or at least that was our experience. We have been really surprised across the US that police/sheriff just shrug about the crime and explain how it is to be expected. What can you do? They say all you can do is try to discourage them but if someone wants to take something, they will find a way.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Just how far "far flung" actually is ... depends upon where you are in the county in relation to where you want to go. A township is 6 square miles. My seasonal farmers market is 15 miles, and my satellite bank is 23 miles, but if I want to go to a BIG town to do my banking and some shopping, or do a little gadding about (because I can), then it's a 120 miles round trip.
My nearest shopping mall (in a town of 20,000 people) is 150 miles away... Our county is 1000 square miles and has 2500 people. Positively overcrowded compared to some of the places I've lived.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Fred, you need to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living