U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 PM

9,200 posts, read 17,058,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
....limited shopping other than Walmart, restaurants limited pretty much to fast food or Olive Garden for "fine dining" is just not my cup of tea.
Options for shopping in my town are Chuck's Repair or not shopping. I can shop for a wide selection of tires, chainsaws, and fish bait. That's it.

Options for dining in my town are AJ's Bar and Grill or eating at home. The food at AJ's is great, all 8 items on the menu.

That's it. You can rent a room for the night at the Sportsman's Lodge, but who rents a room for the night in the town where you live? Never mind, that's a whole other can of worms.

Now, tell me again how limited your choices are for dining and shopping there in Ft. Smith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 07:46 PM

21,117 posts, read 36,615,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I don't think the issue is of the size of the town but the culture shock involved in a move to this area of the country. We are north of Fort Smith and this area of the country is "different". Services are limited in the smallest to the larger cities if you are from east of the Mississippi. I experienced this culture shock on a few moves. Will you learn to like it? You might or you might not and only time would tell you that.
That is why the COL is LOW in these places. Few services exist, education spending is low, educational attainment is low, jobs are few, and wages are low. If people want more services they'll just have to spend a bit more money on the local level. It's pretty simple.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,228,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
You do not need to tell potential employers this.......
I have a friend who was fired from his job, he had worked there a dozen years, he chose to be honest and tell his story in job interviews, he was never hired..
I work for a large company and asked our HR manager about my friends problem and job interviewing. I stressed to him that it was just a general conversation, and I wasn't trying to get my friend a job ( he's not cut out for my line of work)
He said not to mention that you were fired, or to mention the previous job. If they ask why did you leave a job you had for several years or what was obvously a good job like your goverment gig, that love is always a good answer.. Where I live we have an Air Force Base near by. My friend started to say that he left his previous employeer because his fiance was in the Air Force was being transfered to (Pick Anywhere). That he left for her, and after a few weeks it was apparent that they couldn't live together so he packed up and headed home.
I've used the love excuse and it hasn't gotten me anywhere either. I did have a case of bronchitis which was in the beginning stages of pneumonia for about three weeks in July 2009 and missed a week of work, lost my voice, and was totally not at my best whenever I was at work during that time. Perhaps I could use that as my excuse?

Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 PM

16,359 posts, read 13,805,345 times
Quote:
I currently live in the small town of Fort Smith, Arkansas. I recently moved here from Charlotte, with the intention of it being temporary, due to a long saga that pretty much destroyed my life and my career. I am currently searching for jobs in nearby cities such as Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Dallas, etc so far to no avail. My family is now really pressuring me to stay in my hometown permanently, and trying to guilt me into it. Thing is, it might end up happening if I am unable to find a job in my career field and have to take a local job at a factory or something.

The most difficult part is I can't stand this town and in no way want to live here. Everything from the rural mindset, limited shopping other than Walmart, restaurants limited pretty much to fast food or Olive Garden for "fine dining" is just not my cup of tea.

Now with the prospect looming of having to live here permanently, I am trying to think if there is any way I could force myself to like this town. Has anybody else ever been in a situation where they have been stuck somewhere they hated and were able to force themselves to like it?
Move to Stillwater in order to be closer and more convenient to prospective job opportunities in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. I would hate to try to get reestablished in Ft. Smith, while being so far from large metro areas.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:09 PM

5,685 posts, read 8,706,022 times
I used to know a girl in Fort Smith, I'd stop by whenever I was coming through.

I KNOW that there are some decent restaurants (unless they have all closed down in the last year!)

A little Italian place in a renovated 1900's era home stands out, but there were others...

Get out more and quit complaining. (it's not a small town)

Old 08-11-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Move to Stillwater in order to be closer and more convenient to prospective job opportunities in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. I would hate to try to get reestablished in Ft. Smith, while being so far from large metro areas.
I have a UPS mailbox in Oklahoma City that I am using for job applications. The problem with Ft Smith is its just so far from everything its almost a necessity to jump through hoops in order to apply for jobs elsewhere. Thus far, the address has got me numerous interviews but no offers yet due to the obstacles I described above.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,531,561 times
Quote:
I currently live in the small town of Fort Smith, Arkansas. I recently moved here from Charlotte, with the intention of iteing temporary, due to a long saga that pretty much destroyed my life and my career. I am currently searching for jobs in nearby cities such as Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Dallas, etc so far to no avail. My family is now really pressuring me to stay in my hometown permanently, and trying to guilt me into it. Thing is, it might end up happening if I am unable to find a job in my career field and have to take a local job at a factory or something.

The most difficult part is I can't stand this town and in no way want to live here. Everything from the rural mindset, limited shopping other than Walmart, restaurants limited pretty much to fast food or Olive Garden for "fine dining" is just not my cup of tea.

Now with the prospect looming of having to live here permanently, I am trying to think if there is any way I could force myself to like this town. Has anybody else ever been in a situation where they have been stuck somewhere they hated and were able to force themselves to like it?

Im not sure if one can 'make' themselves like ay type of town/city if they dont want to. You might have to accept being there until something else comes up. Have you visited or researched anything before moving there? As a kid, my dads job transferred us all over the place and we too, had to accept living where we were sent, it doesnt mean you have to force yourself to like it.
We too, are pretty much limited to a lot of things, being a town of about 3500 people, but I like it that way. All the real jobs are either in manufacturing and its hard to get into, or you have to commute.
Can you relocate to a nearby town that you might like? Try visiting it several times beforehand, do some research, see what might be out there? Just my thoughts.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:29 PM

7,977 posts, read 9,382,018 times
I had to laugh about you calling Ft. Smith a small town. The biggest city I've lived in was 50,000 people (Casper, WY). We had two Wally Worlds and the Olive Garden didn't moved in until after I had moved.

That being said, I do understand the frustration of wanting to move somewhere else due to not being able to find a job. I also understand the frustration of being guilted into living somewhere. I took a very low-paying job near my hometown due to a guilt trip. I was luckily able to leave within a year. Hopefully you will be able to move somewhere you like.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:33 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,807,731 times
Quote:
I currently live in the small town of Fort Smith, Arkansas. I recently moved here from Charlotte, with the intention of it being temporary, due to a long saga that pretty much destroyed my life and my career. I am currently searching for jobs in nearby cities such as Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Dallas, etc so far to no avail. My family is now really pressuring me to stay in my hometown permanently, and trying to guilt me into it. Thing is, it might end up happening if I am unable to find a job in my career field and have to take a local job at a factory or something.

Take a job that will bring in money. Save every penny. Keep looking for jobs elsewhere, one will come along eventually.

I have been to Ft. Smith and it's a fine town. Why don't you like other than the fact that it is you "hometown"? (And they have the best Asian restaurant I have ever been to and it isn't a "chain" so that argument is BS).

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-12-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
Im not sure if one can 'make' themselves like ay type of town/city if they dont want to. You might have to accept being there until something else comes up. Have you visited or researched anything before moving there? As a kid, my dads job transferred us all over the place and we too, had to accept living where we were sent, it doesnt mean you have to force yourself to like it.
We too, are pretty much limited to a lot of things, being a town of about 3500 people, but I like it that way. All the real jobs are either in manufacturing and its hard to get into, or you have to commute.
Can you relocate to a nearby town that you might like? Try visiting it several times beforehand, do some research, see what might be out there? Just my thoughts.
Fort Smith is mostly a manufacturing hub. My family lives in Fort Smith and when I left Charlotte without a job I had no other option than to move back in with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Take a job that will bring in money. Save every penny. Keep looking for jobs elsewhere, one will come along eventually.

I have been to Ft. Smith and it's a fine town. Why don't you like other than the fact that it is you "hometown"? (And they have the best Asian restaurant I have ever been to and it isn't a "chain" so that argument is BS).

20yrsinBranson
I guess Fort Smith is not horrible, its just not for me. I prefer larger, more vibrant places with a more diversity of things to do. A lot of the young people here hang out at Wal-Mart late at night because there isn't anything else to do. At my age, people treat me funny because I'm not married yet (I just turned 27).

If a worst case scenario happens and I get stuck here, I may have to take a factory job, go back to school either for my masters degree or a second bachelors, and then leave when I graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living