U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 PM

16,303 posts, read 13,790,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I had to laugh about you calling Ft. Smith a small town. The biggest city I've lived in was 50,000 people (Casper, WY). We had two Wally Worlds and the Olive Garden didn't moved in until after I had moved.

That being said, I do understand the frustration of wanting to move somewhere else due to not being able to find a job. I also understand the frustration of being guilted into living somewhere. I took a very low-paying job near my hometown due to a guilt trip. I was luckily able to leave within a year. Hopefully you will be able to move somewhere you like.
Seems like places have to be over 250000 in pop. before big city news writers quit referring to it as a small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 02:53 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,796,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Fort Smith is mostly a manufacturing hub. My family lives in Fort Smith and when I left Charlotte without a job I had no other option than to move back in with them.

I guess Fort Smith is not horrible, its just not for me. I prefer larger, more vibrant places with a more diversity of things to do. A lot of the young people here hang out at Wal-Mart late at night because there isn't anything else to do. At my age, people treat me funny because I'm not married yet (I just turned 27).

If a worst case scenario happens and I get stuck here, I may have to take a factory job, go back to school either for my masters degree or a second bachelors, and then leave when I graduate.
I guess it depends a lot on what your interests are. I googled Ft. Smith and it looks pretty darn interesting to me. The Belle Grove Historical District looks beautiful, and I am certain there would be some wonderful volunteer opportunities with the organization that oversees that area (Ft. Smith Historical Society maybe?).

There is also a wonderful down-town restoration project going on that is revitalizing the commercial area downtown and making it not only beautiful but useful to attract both businesses and shoppers.

What is so wonderful and amazing about a smaller town is that there are so many wonderful opportunities to become active in IMPROVING the quality of life for the people who live there. For instance, you could initiate a project to put in bike paths in and around town, through parks, etc. You could also create a new business that offers a much-needed service to the community. You could create something wonderful.

But I guess stuff like going out to eat and going to the mall is more important to you.

Maybe when you grow up a little more these things will become more important and you will want to live in a town/small city where you can contribute and become a valuable member of society. Hey, I was 19 once, I remember that getting boinked was high on my list.

See how you feel about it when your 30.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-12-2012, 03:12 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,224,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I guess it depends a lot on what your interests are. I googled Ft. Smith and it looks pretty darn interesting to me. The Belle Grove Historical District looks beautiful, and I am certain there would be some wonderful volunteer opportunities with the organization that oversees that area (Ft. Smith Historical Society maybe?).

There is also a wonderful down-town restoration project going on that is revitalizing the commercial area downtown and making it not only beautiful but useful to attract both businesses and shoppers.

What is so wonderful and amazing about a smaller town is that there are so many wonderful opportunities to become active in IMPROVING the quality of life for the people who live there. For instance, you could initiate a project to put in bike paths in and around town, through parks, etc. You could also create a new business that offers a much-needed service to the community. You could create something wonderful.

But I guess stuff like going out to eat and going to the mall is more important to you.

Maybe when you grow up a little more these things will become more important and you will want to live in a town/small city where you can contribute and become a valuable member of society. Hey, I was 19 once, I remember that getting boinked was high on my list.

See how you feel about it when your 30.

20yrsinBranson
I honestly don't mind visiting Fort Smith, living here though is just not for me. Downtown Fort Smith is nice for a town this size but I prefer more urbanity. I have no desire to get involved in the politics in this town either. Everybody is different so everybody has their preferences as to where they want to live and where they would never live. To be fair, there are many larger cities I would never live in either as they just aren't a good fit for my lifestyle. I would never choose to live in the California Bay Area for instance. If I have to end up staying here for longer than intended it won't be the end of the world though. Tulsa is only an hour and a half so it would be a very doable day trip for stuff that I can't do in Fort Smith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living