Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Bla Bla Bla... I'm ignoring the fact the people who sold out are mostly different from the people whom I'm trying to change their lives... Bla, Bla, Bla...
Any real arguments on your side or is the only argument being disrespectful?

Did anyone beat anyone into selling their land? Look, land is a commodity (I didn't come up with that concept, it's capitalism - remember?) and the "local folks" probably inherited what was taken by force from native people anyways, easy come easy go, karma is a b*tch... now it changes hands (at a pretty nifty profit for the locals too, it's not like it is given out for free, if so, where do I sign up?!) and some hands are different than others. When enough hands "join up" in a certain lifestyle the "locals" become the minority the "new locals" become the louder voice and the majority (with more money). It's America, the bed has been made, the newcomers are not doing anything illegal so I don't see what you are complaining about

All these McMansions, all these people coming in, they didn't force anyone into anything so why not go to the guy who sold his high-prized 160 acres for six times more than it was worth and ask him why he did it?

Note that I don't like what has happened to the small towns (just like you) but I cannot blame the guy coming in with the check, if something is not for sale, it's not for sale, if it is, it will be bought...

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 08:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Bla Bla Bla... I'm ignoring the fact the people who sold out are mostly different from the people whom I'm trying to change their lives... Bla, Bla, Bla...
Exactly. It's an excuse, pure and simple, for moving into a community and behaving boorishly while pretending to sophistication and intelligence and superiority.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
In other words - "we love taking your money, we would love if we even didn't have to work and you could just mail us a check but if you come here and you hit us over the head with a big fact check for our land we'll take it but still will hate you and talk bad behind your 'liberal city idiot' back even though we took your money willingly"...

Joking aside, nobody forces anybody to sell their land, it's a free country ya know...

OD
True. But then again, I've always found it weird that people want to get away from the rat race and then try to bring it with them when they find a new home.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
True. But then again, I've always found it weird that people want to get away from the rat race and then try to bring it with them when they find a new home.
I think that's where you are wrong. I think a lot of people want to bring the conveniences with them, NOT the rat race

The rat race comes when there are too many people in the same place. You know, when something gets "discovered". Unfortunately, there are not enough pretty places for everyone to enjoy. However, the local folks profit greatly by this "discovery". To them it is a immediate gratification thing - money. The subtle things like "soul of the place" or history are not that important, apparently.

I've been to Jackson Hole - it was a zoo and I didn't care for it. However, a hundred miles away a small town of 900 people, Dubois, was still the small West town I would love to go back and visit again and again. Yep, land around it was still astronomical but nowhere near Jackson Hole.

Hey, I am not happy about this either. I have spent the last 5+ years looking at land in New Mexico, somewhere where I can just hop on my horse and ride out of my backyard into a national forest and not see a person for a few days. Well, guess what, all the pretty places cost a pretty penny. Californios, Easterners, wealthy Texans, they have all bought up the nicest places. Heck, where I live now in a town of 2600 people in the Hill Country most homes are owned by Houstonites who come here once in six months on a weekend but the local land prices and taxes are insane...

However, I blame the locals for all that. They could have kept their sleepy little town if they valued it so much. Apparently, they didn't.

OD

Old 09-08-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Exactly. It's an excuse, pure and simple, for moving into a community and behaving boorishly while pretending to sophistication and intelligence and superiority.
Have you anything real to say or you just pissed off?

Again, did anyone make your neighbor sell his place? And his neighbor? And his neighbor? People come in with their ideas of what and how and when there are enough of the same ideas, they become prevalent. You may not like it but it is reality. I have met a bunch of "local" realtors who can't wait to sell you the world in their "sleepy" town and fill their coffers. Come to think of it, aren't you a realtor? You never made profit on one of them stupid city folk?

I am sure you go to your listings and beg the local owners to NOT sell...

OD

Old 09-09-2012, 12:09 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
We have lived in a medium sized city for over 30 years and recently bought rural property. We decided to immediately take care of the poison ivy proliferation that the previous owner let go (a very overwhelmed townie) the downed dead wood all over the property and the brush growing in the fence line.

We keep a low profile and dress like the locals, fortunately that is our mode anyway. We introduced ourselves to neighbors as we were able to. We have taken an interest in local affairs. We've been patient with a neighbor's sweet but not too bright young lab that walks several hundred yards down his people's driveway crosses the road and then walks down our long drive to do his business. We walk him home without recrimination. Hopefully he'll learn to stay home to poo when he matures. We had one neighbor take the hay in our field and the other is taking the second cutting for bedding a win-win situation really. We offered both neighbors on each side to graze tied up animals on our rather large "lawn' and to use our large fire ring.

We've had offers to watch our pets and folks keep an eye on our place. I think initially the neighbors were maybe concerned about who we might be but we've done our best to blend in with the locals even though we like fancy coffee. (We make it ourselves.) I think the key is respect for neighbors and when there is conflict to be fair and reasonable trying to see both sides of the issue. Admittedly we don't have folks trying to burn down our house.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I bought in a rural area and I get along fine although there are some things people do that **** me off from time to time.

1) Ride their four wheelers up and done the roadway. These things are very loud and I can hear them inside my house which is 300 yards off the road. It is illegal to ride on the roads in Tennessee and I do not appreciate the disturbance. What it is are people that live out here on small lots that figure they should buy a fourwheeler since they live in the country but they don't have anywhere to ride them. I normally keep my gates locked but a couple of times they have started "exploring" my land.

2) People around here have incredibly loud vehicles. It is not uncommon for some idiot to ride around in a pickup you can hear from a mile away. I don't know what that's all about but it shows an incredible lack of respect towards other people.

3) Poachers. I have watched three times late at night where someone jacklights deer that are on MY property. It is useless to call the game people and I do not feel it would be wise to confront them myself as I am sure alcohol is involved. I have also stopped people during hunting season on my land.

4) Methheads- Plenty of methheads around here. They will steal anything that isn't locked up.

5) People are slobs. We have free dumps sites in every town but it never fails that people will have a load of crap and decide to just dump it on the side of the road. The dump will take ANYTHING but these idiots can't be bothered to take it there. Another issue is slobs that will load up their household trash in the back of a pickup without securing it. They leave a trail of trash all the way to the dump alongside the road. One time I found a bag with an address in it- I went back and dumped it in their front yard.
ALSO people will dump unwanted animals on you. I already have six dogs so I end up having to take THEIR PROBLEM to the pound.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:03 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Exactly why I live in the city. I don't like any of that stuff and I know it. But if country folks like living that way, let em'. But they need to stay out of my city with those country habits!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I live in a nice, small, rural town. They hired a woman from a big city to come work here, and she was mean. Just plain mean. She did not last long around here. She left in less than a year.

Mean folks, don't last long in friendly places.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Actaully when I had a rual palce it took time but actaully knew neighbors much better than nay urban area I've lived.The most friendly tho is subburbs :IMO. Urban environoment seems to be one of defensive keep to yourself more and even direct eye contact is avoid in some cities.Often its the try to make rural more like the subburbs they do not reallt care for but when you like your environmant you protect it everywhere I have been.Perhaps those who have moved i time are more protective tha those who lived there all their lifes because they are more use to using government to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living