U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 04:05 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,873,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I've always loved nature and was thrilled when I moved to a very rural area in NE Mississippi. But walks in the woods were few and far between due to it always being some kind of hunting season, birds, deer, turkey, etc. Locals were unbelievably rude when it came to their hunting, and anything that interfered with it, so the peaceful walks through the woods along logging trails were out of the question 10 months out of the year.

Unwanted pets were constantly being dropped off at my home. Hunting dogs that didn't perform well were abandoned in the woods and found there way to my home, starving and emaciated. There was no animal shelter in the county and my offer to volunteer at one if it was created found no interest. It was too easy for the locals to either shoot their unwanted dogs or dump them off.

Weekends were hell with the ATVs that would speed up and down the dirt road in front of my house, stirring up clouds of gritty dust and making the dogs go ballistic. The peace and quiet of country life just wasn't to be found, despite living surrounded by hundreds of acres of woods and meadows. I finally gave up and moved.
That's just terrible, sorry things ended up as they did for you. I take in strays, have for many years, so I don't doubt ya one bit. I don't know where I will go, I have a small acreage in Iowa now, but really want to move. I don't like neighbors or the city, and with the dogs I need an acreage but don't want to live in a place where hunting is what almost everyone does for fun. Maine was my choice for years but its so far, I guess I'm just more tired out these last few years. I thought about the lower peninsula of Michigan, maybe in the general area of Traverse City. Michigan is a beautiful state. I wouldn't ever go south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,023,739 times
Well.... I am from another country's city
but I looooove the country, especially my country boy husband.

Love my garden & the great trees on my land & chicken coop & bunnies, perhaps a pig or some goats.... love the nature wildlife & the deer in our backyard, the foxes too...
and will be adopting a Great Pry as a family member & to herd the flocks.

I love not having to pay for water nor that stupid HOA fees.
Thankfully, my country here does not allow any subdivision type development & is only a "farm" type industry allowed... most all farm & residential... not even a restaurant (yah, no pizza shop even in my town; have to get into the next town for that).

I always have the heart for the countryside (just ask DH)...
And would never change a thing about the wonderful, wonderful country except to petition for the government to get off our countryside tax payer's backs.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 PM

9,789 posts, read 11,276,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
That's just terrible, sorry things ended up as they did for you. I take in strays, have for many years, so I don't doubt ya one bit. I don't know where I will go, I have a small acreage in Iowa now, but really want to move. I don't like neighbors or the city, and with the dogs I need an acreage but don't want to live in a place where hunting is what almost everyone does for fun. Maine was my choice for years but its so far, I guess I'm just more tired out these last few years. I thought about the lower peninsula of Michigan, maybe in the general area of Traverse City. Michigan is a beautiful state. I wouldn't ever go south.
Consider Wyoming. We're not the South and we're certainly not the Bible Belt. Those things don't happen here or would be extremely rare. We are far right so a lefist would not be happy here.
Guns are a way of life here but remember that an armed society is a polite society.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:29 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,661,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Consider Wyoming. We're not the South and we're certainly not the Bible Belt. Those things don't happen here or would be extremely rare. We are far right so a lefist would not be happy here.
Guns are a way of life here but remember that an armed society is a polite society.
Just spent a week deer hunting in Southern Wyoming, near Baggs. Definatley very nice folks from the area. Even was invited to dinner by a local rancher, another rancher showed me where the deer hang out on his property, after I helped him repair a fence....Oh Yeah got a nice muley too, Backstrap for supper tonight....

Old 10-11-2012, 04:33 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,092,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Interesting. I've heard stories about subdivisions being built with farmland surrounding them, and the new residents complaining about manure and other aspects of "agricultural" life.

I know a man who lived in a (semi-)rural area, divorced his wife, subdivided his land into two lots, sold one and kept the other to himself, and went off to Florida. When he returned, he built a house on his plot of property. On one side (across the road), kids would shoot high-powered rifles at all hours of the night. The police couldn't do anything about it, as it didn't violate any ordinance or law. The neighboring plot opposite to the one he sold was bought up by a couple of 4x4 truck enthusiasts, who would drive their trucks loudly through challenging muck and springs after a hard day's work. He called the police on them, too, but alas, there was nothing they could do about it.
This happened near where I use to live. It was a fairly rural area about 45 miles outside of a major metro area. All working farms, most of which had been there since the revolutionary war. One of the farms was sold to a developer who build about a dozen McMansions, in the upper six figure price range. Within weeks of the first owners moving in the complaints started. By the time the plan was finished the owners actually petitioned the township to have the farms near by rezoned as residential to strip them of the agricultural status. What a bunch of selfish *****s. Needless to say, this did not earn them many friends in the community. That takes a lot of nerve to move to an area and try and destroy the lively-hood of your neighbors.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,614,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
This happened near where I use to live. It was a fairly rural area about 45 miles outside of a major metro area. All working farms, most of which had been there since the revolutionary war. One of the farms was sold to a developer who build about a dozen McMansions, in the upper six figure price range. Within weeks of the first owners moving in the complaints started. By the time the plan was finished the owners actually petitioned the township to have the farms near by rezoned as residential to strip them of the agricultural status. What a bunch of selfish *****s. Needless to say, this did not earn them many friends in the community. That takes a lot of nerve to move to an area and try and destroy the lively-hood of your neighbors.
I'm calling BS on this one pal!

Since when can anyone get a farm rezoned? Sorry the farmers are up to there little tataas in government regulations that protect their special status. Not gonna happen ever

Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 PM

347 posts, read 729,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

Since when can anyone get a farm rezoned? Sorry the farmers are up to there little tataas in government regulations that protect their special status. Not gonna happen ever
That and you can't rezone someone out of their current land use. You can change the zoning which would affect changes in land use on the site (which most farmers don't oppose because it usually means much bigger $$ if they ever sell)... but not current use.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:07 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,092,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

I didn't say they succeeded. They complained to the township board and wanted the zoning changed. Their efforts didn't go anywhere and they ended up being shunned by the rest of the community. This is not an isolated case. During the building boom it was happening fairly often. Pigs often draw the biggest complaints, as you can smell them for miles. It will be interesting to see if history repeats itself soon. Someone is building 20 or so million dollars homes right next to an active dairy about two miles from my current place. We'll see how fast the complaining starts.

As the other poster said, the problem is they're rezoning individual parcels and the selling farmers are the ones demanding it. So you have a block of land zoned agricultural, and all of a sudden 20 acres in the middle gets rezoned residential when the owner decides to cash out. No one really complains as they want to be able to cash out as well. Over a half dozen farms in my township have been rezoned in the past five years. The average sale price of the land has been over two million dollars, with one selling for over 10 million. Kind of hard to pass up.

Last edited by Velvet Jones; 10-12-2012 at 07:17 AM..

Old 10-12-2012, 01:28 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I didn't say they succeeded. They complained to the township board and wanted the zoning changed. Their efforts didn't go anywhere and they ended up being shunned by the rest of the community. This is not an isolated case. During the building boom it was happening fairly often. Pigs often draw the biggest complaints, as you can smell them for miles. It will be interesting to see if history repeats itself soon. Someone is building 20 or so million dollars homes right next to an active dairy about two miles from my current place. We'll see how fast the complaining starts.

As the other poster said, the problem is they're rezoning individual parcels and the selling farmers are the ones demanding it. So you have a block of land zoned agricultural, and all of a sudden 20 acres in the middle gets rezoned residential when the owner decides to cash out. No one really complains as they want to be able to cash out as well. Over a half dozen farms in my township have been rezoned in the past five years. The average sale price of the land has been over two million dollars, with one selling for over 10 million. Kind of hard to pass up.
So if someone is selling million dollar homes next to a pig farm or a dairy farm, who is to blame for the problems following that sale? The people who don't want to smell the pigs? The guy who sold them the million dollar home? The farmer who sold the land?

If farmers are for re-zoning themselves to be able to sell down the road to some stupid city folk or some greedy developer, well, blame the greedy farmer lot.

OD

Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 PM

17,098 posts, read 22,617,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
So if someone is selling million dollar homes next to a pig farm or a dairy farm, who is to blame for the problems following that sale? The people who don't want to smell the pigs? The guy who sold them the million dollar home? The farmer who sold the land?

If farmers are for re-zoning themselves to be able to sell down the road to some stupid city folk or some greedy developer, well, blame the greedy farmer lot.

OD
If a person knowingly buys a house in the middle of a pig farm, they have no business complaining there's a pig farm around them. It was there when they bought it and they knew about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living