U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM

2,570 posts, read 2,609,974 times

Advertisements

ognend assumes that the rancher that feeds the deer, elk, antelope, etc. automatically get a license to hunt same. ognend assumes all rural people hunt. ognend assumes much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
ognend assumes that the rancher that feeds the deer, elk, antelope, etc. automatically get a license to hunt same. ognend assumes all rural people hunt. ognend assumes much.
Quote:
And you obviously haven't had just over 300 head of elk and untold numbers deer and antelope on your privately owned hay fields, now have you?
Quote:
They do provide food for those of us who subsistence hunt.
It was you who said all of the above, no?

I never said ALL rural people hunt just like you never said ALL city folk are "high-falootin'".

By the way, there are plenty of people around here in Texas who feed the deer and hunt them at the same time. There are some who just feed them (why, it's beyond me, I heard that you can get a wildlife property tax exemption but I suspect most of them are city folk transplants who just love the idea of Bambi eating in the backyard).

OD

Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,076,381 times
Honestly I can understand that mentality. Some people move into the area because they seek "quiet" yet their behavior suggests otherwise. Disturbing those that do cherish "peace" and "tranquility."

Old 01-03-2013, 02:25 PM

20,490 posts, read 38,407,488 times
ognend, if you already have an agricultural appraisal (commonly known as an "ag exemption"), you can get an open land appraisal (a form of the ag exemption). It's intended for preserving open land and making it feasible to do so. There's a lot more to it than feeding deer - you have to have a plan, it has to involve certain things, you CAN have agricultural animals (including horses) on the land at the same time as long as you're not overloading it. I'm really surprised if you were looking for rural land in Texas, given your posts, that you're not familiar with it.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
ognend, if you already have an agricultural appraisal (commonly known as an "ag exemption"), you can get an open land appraisal (a form of the ag exemption). It's intended for preserving open land and making it feasible to do so. There's a lot more to it than feeding deer - you have to have a plan, it has to involve certain things, you CAN have agricultural animals (including horses) on the land at the same time as long as you're not overloading it. I'm really surprised if you were looking for rural land in Texas, given your posts, that you're not familiar with it.
Spoken like a true realtor?

There are many factors when purchasing a property. How much you are willing to pay, location, is it a good deal, does it have potential, what you are getting for the price etc. etc. The tax exemption was honestly the last thing on my mind, especially in an area where there was not that much choice in our price range. We ended up lucking out on a foreclosure, otherwise we would have been long gone.

I just don't have the mind/attitude to always look for every single loophole. In my opinions these exemptions should not exist.
OD

Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 PM

34,458 posts, read 43,307,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Spoken like a true realtor?

There are many factors when purchasing a property. How much you are willing to pay, location, is it a good deal, does it have potential, what you are getting for the price etc. etc. The tax exemption was honestly the last thing on my mind, especially in an area where there was not that much choice in our price range. We ended up lucking out on a foreclosure, otherwise we would have been long gone.

I just don't have the mind/attitude to always look for every single loophole. In my opinions these exemptions should not exist.
OD

Then don't take advantage of them.

I'll tell what would happen if some of them weren't in place, the suburban sprawl from which you escaped would take over everywhere. Without Ag/Forestry Preservation and exemptions assessments would be done on the "highest, best use" which is residential subdivisions. Farmers/rural land owners couldn't afford to pay the taxes on the land and it would go to developers.

I saw it happen here in MD.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Then don't take advantage of them.

I'll tell what would happen if some of them weren't in place, the suburban sprawl from which you escaped would take over everywhere. Without Ag/Forestry Preservation and exemptions assessments would be done on the "highest, best use" which is residential subdivisions. Farmers/rural land owners couldn't afford to pay the taxes on the land and it would go to developers.

I saw it happen here in MD.
Hey, it's just my opinion . I agree that ag exemptions should stay, there are other legitimate conservation related uses too. But, a few times (or more than a few times), unscrupulous people take advantage of these things. Before we found our place, we looked at some properties to rent. One guy had a 100 acres with a huge, Florida style home on it. He also had a few head of cows. He was a real slob and I felt sorry for his cows but he only kept them to get an ag exemption. When it was time he would send them to the auction and bring in a few new ones and the cycle repeated. This dude was rich as hell but he still stooped low to be a "pretend rancher". Meanwhile my *real* rancher neighbor is struggling to survive. That's all I meant.

OD

Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 PM

Actually, I knew about ag exemptions, etc., when we first purchased our place, long (years) before I was an agent or even thought of being one. It was part of my due diligence as a buyer and it greatly impacted what our monthly payments would be, of course. It also made it possible to afford more land than we otherwise would have been able to do, as long as we were willing to do what needed to be done for the land to continue to qualify, and our planned uses for the land (breeding horses, having some cattle, raising hay for the horses, etc.) qualified.

Also, "a few cattle" on 100 acres, unless you're talking about West Texas or someplace similar, would get your ag exemption yanked by hungry tax men in a heartbeat. The requirements have to do with what's usual for the area and that the land will carry. I know - I had to defend ours and I read the statutes (again) before I went down there.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, I knew about ag exemptions, etc., when we first purchased our place, long (years) before I was an agent or even thought of being one. It was part of my due diligence as a buyer and it greatly impacted what our monthly payments would be, of course. It also made it possible to afford more land than we otherwise would have been able to do, as long as we were willing to do what needed to be done for the land to continue to qualify, and our planned uses for the land (breeding horses, having some cattle, raising hay for the horses, etc.) qualified.

Also, "a few cattle" on 100 acres, unless you're talking about West Texas or someplace similar, would get your ag exemption yanked by hungry tax men in a heartbeat. The requirements have to do with what's usual for the area and that the land will carry. I know - I had to defend ours and I read the statutes (again) before I went down there.
This was near the town of Lockhart in Central Texas and this was straight from the slob's, pardon, owner's mouth. His acreage was overgrown in weeds and you could barely see the cows.

I did my due diligence when it came to taxes but we were looking to pay a very low price and get a "deal" and that's what we got. We had other requirements too. As you know, sometimes (often times?) you cannot get ALL of the requirements down at the same time...

OD

Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 PM

True. We originally started out looking for five acres, ended up settling for 55 when that turned out to be the right piece in the right location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living