U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,826 times

Advertisements

My folks had to shut down a Sawmill after several years running because of people moving in from the city complaning about the noise.This mill gave work to several families.

Had a Guy from the city buy my farm at my price because he claimed I killed all the Deer in the area.But he would come for couple weeks every year trying to run our life.Thing is so many Mennonit Kids in the area were coming of age to hunt and would cut Deer off from coming on to his place.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:37 PM

168 posts, read 283,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
My folks had to shut down a Sawmill after several years running because of people moving in from the city complaning about the noise.This mill gave work to several families.

Had a Guy from the city buy my farm at my price because he claimed I killed all the Deer in the area.But he would come for couple weeks every year trying to run our life.Thing is so many Mennonit Kids in the area were coming of age to hunt and would cut Deer off from coming on to his place.

brushrunner
That is horrible, the main reason why there is a hatred between rural and urban areas in my opinion.

I have a friend who is a farmer who had a development built next to some of his land around 8 to 9 years ago. He had all sorts of problems with the people living in the development. The land to the north of the development that was his he used for cattle and the development complained about the smell. The land to the east he used for crops and they would complain about noise when he was planting and harvesting. He had the cops called on him because he was harvesting sugar beets at night as fast as he could before the frost came in and froze the ground.

They trespassed on his land all the time even though his land was posted, he would find garbage along and in the shelter belt between his land and the development.

Of course he could no longer hunt on that area of his land without complaints.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,673,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSUBison View Post
That is horrible, the main reason why there is a hatred between rural and urban areas in my opinion.

I have a friend who is a farmer who had a development built next to some of his land around 8 to 9 years ago. He had all sorts of problems with the people living in the development. The land to the north of the development that was his he used for cattle and the development complained about the smell. The land to the east he used for crops and they would complain about noise when he was planting and harvesting. He had the cops called on him because he was harvesting sugar beets at night as fast as he could before the frost came in and froze the ground.

They trespassed on his land all the time even though his land was posted, he would find garbage along and in the shelter belt between his land and the development.

Of course he could no longer hunt on that area of his land without complaints.
Thats why we need to have stricter zoning laws to keep the Cities and Rural areas separate.....everytime they try to do it the Suburbanizing folks scream bloody murder and of course they have the most power even more then the Urban and Rural people combined....

Old 02-12-2013, 11:20 PM

374 posts, read 444,453 times
In defense of some city slickers,There was a time when country people respected each others privacy and property.Seems they forgot to teach this to their kids.I live in the country,small town and these ATVs tear up the roads we have to pay to repair,drive through private property like they own it and some may nto know enough about the gun they hunt with.

Thing is nobody paid much attention to them because their was a race or game on somewhere.or a reality show,that was so unrealistic to anyone with a brain it was silly.

Welcome to the prozac nation,yall come back now ya hear.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 AM

6,502 posts, read 5,591,402 times
There's a woman (yes, another "transplant") who complains about our school lunch menus (wants us to serve the students "Indian" vegetarian foods, such as yogurt dip, lentils, couscous, etc.) No, she's not Indian...just sounds like another one of the newcomers who bemoan the lack of trendy multicultural diversity in this area.

Nothing against that food, personally (although I don't like it myself), but if you want your kids to eat that stuff...MAKE IT AT HOME or FIND AN INDIAN RESTAURANT. We have to efficiently and financially feed the other 99 percent of the students who will probably pitch that food in the trash, or refuse to even try it.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 02-15-2013 at 04:19 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 01:47 AM

14,505 posts, read 24,014,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I agree with you on the worth of doing research on anything that will make a significant difference in your life. That, obviously, includes moving to a new place.

However, my point is that most rural towns, especially East, midwest and south are trashy. Heck, I will throw into that New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arizona etc. In New Mexico most small towns have crime rates of 500+ and some even 900-1000!

I can go state by state and we will eventually conclude that most rural places are high crime, loud and infested with ATVs, alcohol and gunshots galore. 15 old cars next to a mobile is not uncommon either.... Dogs running loose etc. And it ain't the city folks doing this (most people accuse the wealthy newcomers on this forum so obviously they are not the ones accumulating the extra junk cars or litters of dogs or throwing garbage near roadways).

The situation in places like WY is maybe different since there is more money in those small towns (the ranchers are wealthier) but for the majority of the country, rural is poor, trashy and loud.

My point was exactly what you said, actually, most city people should do their research before moving somewhere rural because most city people imagine European rural - small villages like from English, German or French countryside where farmers actually still farm and villages are peaceful, they look neat and show pride of ownership.

Now, onto your "guy in the overalls" reference. I think it is high time we all understood the fact that only 2.5% of US population farms. Most likely today in a rural area it will the "guy in camo on an ATV". Most "cowboys" nowadays don't ride a horse and don't touch cows but they sure love running around in their souped up duallies with aggressive treads and loud mufflers. Heck, I actually ride my horse almost every day and I have done it in the mountains of Wyoming and on the streets in Florida or Texas. I don't lay any claim on the term cowboy or rural but I think I actually live a more "cowboy" or "rural" lifestyle than any of the "locals" you so vigorously defend

Sad to say but I think it is the culture. People just love shooting stuff, living "off leash", making noise and generally acting inconsiderate and it is much easier to do that out in the boonies where there are no ordinances or enforcement of said ordinances - something these folks could not do in a city. However, a lot of people actually like their countryside clean, noise and pollution free etc. When the two groups come in contact, there is bound to be trouble

OD
'Living off leash', lol .

well, city/suburban people tend to be used to having to keep the lawn cleared, mowed, then in the country, they dont see a need, or may have goats to take care of this.

The North/south differences, culture is similar to the country /city divergence. Never the two shall meet, imo. It depends on the region, but it seems the 'us vs. them' mentality still exists, whether people talk about it or not.

Its also more difficult to assimilate into a culture which one doesn't understand.

Its not bad or good, it just is. Its probably a reason the nation is so divided, still.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 AM

797 posts, read 1,145,952 times
The reason there are city folks moving in is because some farmer realized there was more money to be made selling his land for developement than selling it for agriculture.

Simple !

Old 02-28-2013, 04:47 PM

510 posts, read 781,306 times
This thread has been an entertaining read. But I do think the actual urban city folk haven't been as bad as the suburban folks. The city slickers do support anti-rural laws, but I don't find too many from the cities wanting to move out into the countryside and add in the nit-picky laws. Those tend to come from the keeping-up-with-the-Jones folks from the suburbs. They tend to be the ones that are the fake country folks. I don't recall instances of apartment dwelling city people hitching up their boats or trailers of ATVs and dirtbikes heading out to the farms. The suburban people tend to be the ones with garages for all the toys that want to expand to bigger backyards...and assume that since there is a home owner's association that anything goes; while at the same time bring the city influence with them.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 PM

8,597 posts, read 5,359,483 times
A somewhat different perspective here....

I’m a city-boy who moved to a rural locale to escape the covenants and related restrictions of suburbia. I wanted acreage to work on my cars and to shoot guns; and enough space between myself and neighbors to genuinely have privacy, instead of its mere appearance, as happens in suburbia. All of these desires were borne out by experience. But it’s not all good news. A rural area reflects strongly the wealth, culture and tempo of the local town anchoring said area. If the town is blighted, it’s tough for the surrounding area to thrive. If the town is prosperous, those “hicks in overalls” could indeed be sophisticated, worldly individuals who just prefer looking like peasants during their leisure hours. While overall I like my area, the poverty of the anchoring-town spills over with much negative influence. For example, our property taxes are relatively high, because the tax-base in the town has been eviscerated by the Great Recession, and for a great many square-miles surrounding the town we all pay property tax essentially to the town.

As this area is economically depressed, it’s very very rare to find farmers parceling and selling their land. Newcomers such as myself enter the area by buying existing homes which are already sitting on acreage. Our zoning is mixed, residential and agricultural. 5-acre to 10-acre residential tracts abut 10-50 acre farms, some of which are only nominally farmed. Many farms are too small to be productive, and have fallen fallow.

When moving to the country, I was prepared for the well, septic and propane lifestyle. That was no surprise. What however was a surprise was telecommunications. In the years that I’ve lived here, the suburbs got cable, fiber, DSL, etc.; we got nothing, because there just isn’t a business-case for the utility companies to services areas with low population density. The wealthier locals installed satellite dishes and are willing to pay $100/month just to watch TV. The rest of us are stuck in 1920.

I’ve never had an unpleasant experience with neighbors, even though I tend to be a slob who doesn’t prioritize maintaining his property. People aren’t uptight about mowing lawns or trimming hedges – which is exactly why I moved here. But there is a downside. I hardly know any of my neighbors. The pleasant old lady living in the house immediately south of mine was very friendly when we last spoke – in 2002. I’ve never met the guy across the road or the one who owns property behind mine.

In sum, I find no cause for acrimony with my neighbors, nor they with me. The real problem isn’t with the countryside but with its anchoring town. And amongst the urban conveniences that I miss, the only major one is telecommunications.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM

797 posts, read 1,145,952 times
In the county I farmed in, there wasn't much of a problem as there were strict zoning laws.

Where my farm was, we were zoned A-40

A= agriculture
40= how many acres were necessary for a dwelling to be erected on that parcel.

Some areas were A-80 and some were A-160
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living