U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:13 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,967,917 times

Advertisements

20yearsinBran son, I've asked this before and I'll ask it again. Why are you there? You rather consistantly express dislike for the people in this neck-o-the-woods.

In general as a response to the overall theme of this thread, in my experience of living in nine states, three other countries and many villages and towns scattered among them, as well as a city or two, I've only ever once found "locals" to be stand-offish and distrustful. I have to believe that how you're treated as newcomers or "outsiders" is a direct reflection of how you treat the "natives."

We live south of Branson, 20+ driving miles away. It's very rural and there are local stores we patronize as well as some in Hollister and in Branson. At no time have we ever been treated with anything but welcome and friendliness. But perhaps that's because we don 't lament living here, give off disdain or disparage those who may seemingly be less educated or "cosmopolitan" than we are. We also certainly don't advocate potentially causing great physical harm or death to others.

You reap what you sow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:41 PM

6,368 posts, read 14,143,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Urbanites who want to keep ATVs and dirt bikes off their property need to fence it with a locked gate. Letting it be known that they have strung some wire across trails at strategic locations (about head high), will discourage these trespassers as well as signs that say "No Trespassing". Doing a little target practice during the weekends is also a good idea.

20yrisnBranson
After reading this, I'm pretty sure it's not the other side with the attitude problem.

Really glad you're not my neighbor.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:22 PM

20,490 posts, read 38,407,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
20yearsinBran son, I've asked this before and I'll ask it again. Why are you there? You rather consistantly express dislike for the people in this neck-o-the-woods.

In general as a response to the overall theme of this thread, in my experience of living in nine states, three other countries and many villages and towns scattered among them, as well as a city or two, I've only ever once found "locals" to be stand-offish and distrustful. I have to believe that how you're treated as newcomers or "outsiders" is a direct reflection of how you treat the "natives."

We live south of Branson, 20+ driving miles away. It's very rural and there are local stores we patronize as well as some in Hollister and in Branson. At no time have we ever been treated with anything but welcome and friendliness. But perhaps that's because we don 't lament living here, give off disdain or disparage those who may seemingly be less educated or "cosmopolitan" than we are. We also certainly don't advocate potentially causing great physical harm or death to others.

You reap what you sow!
Exactly. I shudder to think what 20yearsinBranson considers "making nice", with that kind of attitude. Probably something along the lines of "Well, aren't you lucky that now we're here to show you how the "more intelligent and interesting" folks live."

Old 09-01-2012, 10:11 PM

5,875 posts, read 3,807,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_state View Post
You also have to think of the flip side; we don't want our "precious" hunting season taken away because one couple wants to take their stroll through the woods. There are plenty of places where I live that you can't hunt but can hike. How about people taking away where we can fish because their property is on the boarder of the creek?

That attitude you get is because 20 years ago things were completely different. People moving into town were friendly. Now people get defensive over people moving in for fear because out-of-towners want to come in and change our way of life.
Quote:
take their nature hike on their newly-purchased acreage
That being the key sentence he used. Hunters are notorious for trespassing on other peoples land to hunt. I grew up in a rural town, with a cemetery next door. They'd always park in the back of the cemetery and walk back on to our land. Course they didn't notice we could see them doing so...

So I'd just go out back for awhile for some target practice...

I did get a bow once. A nice hunting one. While walking towards the back the hunter took off running from my dog and left his bow behind. My hunting stand also came from another hunter that decided to setup on our land without permission.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And this attitude would be precisely WHY an attitude such as that described in the OP exists.
Baloney.

All these things go both ways.

The town of 2600 we live in right now is heavily patrolled by the local sheriff's office, they also have a marshall (traffic cop), never seen such a small town with so much police. I recently got a speeding ticket and mentioned it in a conversation with a friend of ours (long time resident of the area). He told me that the local cops know him and will not pull him over, never have. So, what am I supposed to do? Ingratiate myself to the police officers, bake them a pie or hang out at the same church with them? I thought the laws are meant to be enforced equally? Am I being an a** in any way? Nope, I am just being treated different 'cause I am new. Funny thing is, I probably pay more in local taxes than many of the locals. How sweet my money must be for taking but no love in return

Good luck going to the local municipal court to contest the ticket. The local judge is a local just like the traffic cops. Even though in my case the ticket was unwarranted (the local cop claimed it was in a school zone but the school zone light wasn't flashing!) I don't even plan to contest it since I know that there is no way in hell I will receive a fair treatment. The locals love the newcomers money, they love selling their properties to "brainless" city folk, they love talking about how stupid the city people are behind their backs but fact is all those properties gets sold for much more than they are worth. A lot of local "barrons" have been made by chunking up thousand+ acre ranches and selling them in 5-20 acre parcels for insane amounts of money, all from the "dumb city folk". Well, ladies and gentlemen, you cannot have it both ways, take someone's money and then when they move in and want to make their own rules, you complain

Finally, I don't want to be friends with everyone, I don't think I need to bake you a pie and give you eggs so that you can do a decent job on my septic or electric (for which I am still paying) and above all I don't want to go to the local church to make friends. I don't shoot animals and I don't care for ATVs and drunken bonfires and trespassing over my land to hunt. So what? Does that exclude me from your precious countryside?

OD

Last edited by ognend; 09-04-2012 at 12:06 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM

20,490 posts, read 38,407,488 times
ognend, I stand by my statement. When you look with disdain on the people who live in your community (and who were there before you arrived, sometimes for generations), and their ways, don't be surprised when you are repaid in kind.

Though people somehow always are and never quite get how very offensive they're being because they, of course, are right and the rest of the population is just dumb hicks with IQ's below 75. (Here's a hint: the ones with the IQ's in excess of 135, and often the net worth to match it - and there are more than a few out there - saw you coming and will never let you know it because they live there precisely to get away from that kind of attitude.)

Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
ognend, I stand by my statement. When you look with disdain on the people who live in your community (and who were there before you arrived, sometimes for generations), and their ways, don't be surprised when you are repaid in kind.

Though people somehow always are and never quite get how very offensive they're being because they, of course, are right and the rest of the population is just dumb hicks with IQ's below 75. (Here's a hint: the ones with the IQ's in excess of 135, and often the net worth to match it - and there are more than a few out there - saw you coming and will never let you know it because they live there precisely to get away from that kind of attitude.)
I am not saying the locals are all bad. That would be extreme. I am just saying that it is a two-way street. We have made a lot of friends in this small town and it takes time to refine the relationships and pick out the bad from the good, like anywhere else. I also think there are bad people in the cities too, education and money are no certain predictors of class and attitude

I was more reacting to the statements that sounded hostile to the newcomers. I don't want to repeat myself but "outsider money" is what often creates local "baron" families that own the little town through pumped up land prices mostly. Law enforcement is similar, do not count on the local deputies moving a finger past the absolute minimum they have to do for you (most often you are just a traffic ticket to them, no warning, straight to the ticket). At the same time they are more than happy to look away from the transgressions some of the locals commit simply because they know each other. When the county sends out deputies to patrol the area where the deputies themselves don't live, the locals quickly get the flavor of how it feels to be treated "equally" and most of them don't like it

Again, if you don't like outsiders in your little town, don't sell the land and do band together. Problem is, money is so green and nice, especially some sucker's money who came in and paid 5 times the going price for those worthless 5 acres farmer Johnson couldn't sell to anyone else local . A few more suckers come in, locals make money but the suckers are now a group that is banding together too and they want stuff their way...

OD

Old 09-08-2012, 02:44 PM

5,685 posts, read 8,704,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Baloney.

All these things go both ways.

The town of 2600 we live in right now is heavily patrolled by the local sheriff's office, they also have a marshall (traffic cop), never seen such a small town with so much police. I recently got a speeding ticket and mentioned it in a conversation with a friend of ours (long time resident of the area). He told me that the local cops know him and will not pull him over, never have. So, what am I supposed to do? Ingratiate myself to the police officers, bake them a pie or hang out at the same church with them? I thought the laws are meant to be enforced equally? Am I being an a** in any way? Nope, I am just being treated different 'cause I am new. Funny thing is, I probably pay more in local taxes than many of the locals. How sweet my money must be for taking but no love in return

Good luck going to the local municipal court to contest the ticket. The local judge is a local just like the traffic cops. Even though in my case the ticket was unwarranted (the local cop claimed it was in a school zone but the school zone light wasn't flashing!) I don't even plan to contest it since I know that there is no way in hell I will receive a fair treatment. The locals love the newcomers money, they love selling their properties to "brainless" city folk, they love talking about how stupid the city people are behind their backs but fact is all those properties gets sold for much more than they are worth. A lot of local "barrons" have been made by chunking up thousand+ acre ranches and selling them in 5-20 acre parcels for insane amounts of money, all from the "dumb city folk". Well, ladies and gentlemen, you cannot have it both ways, take someone's money and then when they move in and want to make their own rules, you complain

Finally, I don't want to be friends with everyone, I don't think I need to bake you a pie and give you eggs so that you can do a decent job on my septic or electric (for which I am still paying) and above all I don't want to go to the local church to make friends. I don't shoot animals and I don't care for ATVs and drunken bonfires and trespassing over my land to hunt. So what? Does that exclude me from your precious countryside?

OD

Bla Bla Bla... I'm ignoring the fact the people who sold out are mostly different from the people whom I'm trying to change their lives... Bla, Bla, Bla...

Old 09-08-2012, 04:04 PM

28,905 posts, read 47,361,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
How many people have encountered this attitude?

I've encountered this attitude many times reading about rural areas, and in real life (being a resident of a "rural" area).

The simple fact is this divide exists. Urbanites, especially wealthy urbanites, are often portrayed as having a much different attitude than life-long residents of rural areas. Urbanites often establish a retirement or vacation or permanent home in rural areas seeking "peace" and "tranquility", only to find that they cannot take their nature hike on their newly-purchased acreage because it's hunting season and the risk of stray bullets hitting them is worse than in the toughest urban ghetto, or to discover on their weekend retreat that the "serene" and "ecologically precious" trails running through their wooded country estate have ruts in them from youth on ATVs and dirt bikes.

What do you think of this? City-people who have moved or established a home country-side, what was your perception of the natives, and was there any culture shock? Did you bridge it, and if you did, what did your "peace offering" consist of?
Well, I know people who are natives of towns like that, and they have a point. Basically, they've had this wonderful place to live for generations, and then suddenly become flooded with people from New York or LA. Real estate prices rise. Traffic increases. And, worst of all, the newcomers suddenly begin demanding more in the way of city services or culture, basically trying to make it into a little version of the place they just fled.

I just came back from Jackson, Wyoming on vacation. We spent some time chatting with our guide on an all-day river rafting tour. The way he put it, "We like tourists. We just want them to spend their money and go home." The guy and his wife are lifelong residents of Jackson, but now both have to work multiple jobs to live there because the influx of out-of-towners have made things so expensive.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I know people who are natives of towns like that, and they have a point. Basically, they've had this wonderful place to live for generations, and then suddenly become flooded with people from New York or LA. Real estate prices rise. Traffic increases. And, worst of all, the newcomers suddenly begin demanding more in the way of city services or culture, basically trying to make it into a little version of the place they just fled.

I just came back from Jackson, Wyoming on vacation. We spent some time chatting with our guide on an all-day river rafting tour. The way he put it, "We like tourists. We just want them to spend their money and go home." The guy and his wife are lifelong residents of Jackson, but now both have to work multiple jobs to live there because the influx of out-of-towners have made things so expensive.
In other words - "we love taking your money, we would love if we even didn't have to work and you could just mail us a check but if you come here and you hit us over the head with a big fact check for our land we'll take it but still will hate you and talk bad behind your 'liberal city idiot' back even though we took your money willingly"...

Joking aside, nobody forces anybody to sell their land, it's a free country ya know...

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living