Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 AM

192 posts, read 348,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, I don't, as it happens. I do, however, being both a city girl and a country girl at different times in my life, recognize the high-falutin' city folk in action, whether it be in the flesh or online. They do stand out.
How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 05:30 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,184,958 times
And leave the kid be....he's just a kid you wannabe bully!

Best slide guitar blues EVER !!! - YouTube

Old 11-23-2012, 07:54 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
How so?
Well, the first clue is usually "Back home we do it this way", or "When I lived in -----, we did it that way."

Old 11-23-2012, 09:03 AM

302 posts, read 580,237 times
We moved from Southern California 4 and a 1/2 years ago to a rural area. I have learned not to say "back home..." mostly because this is home now. There is a learning curve for us newbies. We just need time to acclimate a bit and we have to be willing to do that. We have become part of our community by getting involved, we attend festivals, church, and my daughters sing country and bluegrass music ata local jams, festivals, and churches. They would not have had the same opportunities in California. They didn't even know about bluegrass when they got here!

Give us highfalutin' newbies a chance. Living in the city is no picnic, we moved here to give our kids a better, slower way of life and while I miss my friends and families (that's what we mean by home) wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:19 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
Just be willing to give us country folk a chance. Please understand that we may not have fancy words or ideas about how we live. Don't look down your noses at us untill you understand that our ideas work in our lifestyle. If you can do this, you will find that you are welcomed and accepted. Understand that lifestyles are a tradeoff. Welcome to whatever rural area you have moved to, keep the open mind, and you will be fine.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I got a question regarding respect for a small town.. Me and a friend visited a small town and the hotel was not too good.. actually pretty bad compared to a big city standards. My friend was telling the clerk that she felt it should have been run better, like something a traveler might come to expect in a hotel stay. But I said well maybe thats the best they can do. So let me ask you - if a hotel is not up to standards of a large city, is it right or wrong to tell the hotel owner the complaint? or should our standards come down a lot/little. For example, they didn't have a chair in my room, but they had chairs in other empty rooms, I didn't have a chair to sit on all the days i was there; the pictures that were supposed to be on the wall were not there, (nails were on the wall though); there was lumber in the hallways because they were fixing something; there was no coffee in the room like promised. Are these things picky or should my friend have lowered her expectations? I said to my friend that maybe this is the best they could do.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:41 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Or you could have asked for a chair and coffee set.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Small town or big city, it's never wrong to politely point out that the things you expected to find in your room are missing and to ask management to make it right or move you to a different room. What would be wrong would be make judgmental, insulting statements that imply that the staff needs to be schooled in how to run their business. That's not good manners anywhere.

To some extent you do need to lower your expectations when staying in a small town since they may not have access to, or be able to afford, the amenities you would find in larger places such as free high speed internet, wide screen HDTV or a breakfast buffet.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:10 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Ok then thank you - I am concerned about manners and being respectful. I think my friend might have not realized that.. When i did politely ask for the missing things, they did bring them. Thank you. because i want to remember that next time.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:22 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Default We don't want no highfalutin' city-folk comin' here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
How many people have encountered this attitude?

I've encountered this attitude many times reading about rural areas, and in real life (being a resident of a "rural" area).

What do you think of this? City-people who have moved or established a home country-side, what was your perception of the natives, and was there any culture shock? Did you bridge it, and if you did, what did your "peace offering" consist of?
Yup, retired here from ''the big city'', and while thankfully it's not everywhere, there is a fair amount of "locals only" kinda attitude in certain stores, especially the smaller ones. And often it shows up as a certain suspicious ''attitude'' and a definite lack of ''professionalism'', which reminds me of any family business where everyone knows everyone else and they just kinda do things the way they've always done it... which is usually by ''their rules'' to begin with!

And for some of 'em, there doesn't seem to be any kinda ''peace offering'' or amount of friendliness that'll change that ''good ole boy'' mentality... they just gotta get to know 'ya over time. So, yeah, there are a whole bunch of stores here where I don't feel like putting up with the attitude and the hassle, which is too bad, 'cuz I really believe in ''shopping local'' (and the locals aren't doing so well, particularly in this economy). Although fortunately there's also a fair-size city not too far, with big-box stores where you can still spend your money and get decent, courteous service, even if it looks like ''you ain't from around here''!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living