U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 06:06 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,150,557 times

Advertisements

Its that time of year again!

From August to October, all over New England we have different agricultural fairs. Filled with giant pumpkins, prize animals, horse shows, concerts, etc. Many of these fairs date back to the early 1800s. Popular ones include the Fryeburg Fair in Maine, Topsfield Fair in Massachusetts, and Deerfield Fair in New Hampshire.

Is this common in other parts of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:49 AM

9,200 posts, read 17,058,364 times
Yes.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:03 PM

31,151 posts, read 50,332,412 times
In my opinion the best fair is the Common Ground Fair in Maine.

The Common Ground Country Fair

Old 08-26-2012, 12:10 PM

20,700 posts, read 19,657,854 times
I think it's common all over the country and all over the world as these are harvest fairs and late summer and fall are harvest time.

The best fair I ever went to was hmmmm, I think it was in Hardwick MA or a town nearby. Best pies, delicious homemade food, small town atmosphere, genuine feel, good people, nice exhibits. They had antique cars. It didn't have that commercialized feel that so many fairs have now, it was like going back in time.

I don't care much for the Topsfield Fair as it's mostly country western performers and rides to go on.

Another great fair, if it's still there and still great was in CT right outside of Middletown. Can't remember the name of it but it was huge and really well done. Very small town very big fair.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,150,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think it's common all over the country and all over the world as these are harvest fairs and late summer and fall are harvest time.

The best fair I ever went to was hmmmm, I think it was in Hardwick MA or a town nearby. Best pies, delicious homemade food, small town atmosphere, genuine feel, good people, nice exhibits. They had antique cars. It didn't have that commercialized feel that so many fairs have now, it was like going back in time.

I don't care much for the Topsfield Fair as it's mostly country western performers and rides to go on.

Another great fair, if it's still there and still great was in CT right outside of Middletown. Can't remember the name of it but it was huge and really well done. Very small town very big fair.
Belchertown fair?

One of my favorites too, right there on the town common, no admission .

Old 08-28-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Belchertown fair?

One of my favorites too, right there on the town common, no admission .
No, it wasn't the Belchertown fair but it was nearby. A teeny tiny town fair--I mean the town was tiny, the fair was big. This was an authentic old time fair. It was like going back in time and the homemade food was to die for, pies and stuff. Belchertown fair was fried dough type food.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:14 PM

250th Hardwick Community Fair - 2012

I'm almost positive it was this one. It's a small town fair, very small town fair. Might not be fun for people who prefer something that's more modern and commercialized because this one is the real thing and genuine. There were beautiful displays of vegetables and flowers in a white wooden building and there was something to eat that was the best thing I'd ever had in my life. I don't remember what that food was but it was homemade and not for people on diets. LOL

Old 08-28-2012, 01:05 PM

41,490 posts, read 52,125,327 times
Fresh country food does not count when you are on a diet.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 PM

190 posts, read 621,680 times
The Centre County Grange Encampment and Fair...aka "Grange Fair", "The Great Grange Fair", or just "Grange" is located in tiny Centre Hall, PA. What started out as a picnic in 1874 has turned into a huge county fair like no other. Yes, people actually camp out at this fair in tents and campers and the wait list for a spot is near-ending. Supposedly it is the last one of its kind in America. The food is great, the people are friendly, top-name concerts are free, and prices are reasonable. Definitely one-of-a-kind!!

Grange Fair - Centre County Grange Encampment and Fair, Centre Hall, PA

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living