U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:55 PM

3,080 posts, read 10,037,472 times

Advertisements

Well, maybe it's different where you live. Where I grew up, you wouldn't shoot somebody for crossing your land, as annoying as it is. Wouldn't shoot them for cutting through a fence or tearing up a corner of the beanfield either.

If the damage was serious, what you would do is try to figure out which "neighbor" it was, then go pay them a visit to get them to stop.

Most of the time, though, it's just an annoyance not worth bothering about. One of the things city-or-suburb-dwellers should recognize they're going to have to deal with on their XXX acres of wooded land that people were hunting on, fishing in, and using long before they showed up and bought up the rights. Unless you're planning on spending your life patrolling your property, you're going to have trespassers. Best be prepared.

Myself, I'm glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore. After I moved to a metro area, I never looked back. I don't need a gun to defend my property; I've got neighbors within shouting distance and police cruisers rolling down my street 24/7. I don't need a 4WD vehicle, there's subways that run even when there's 2 feet of blowing snow. I don't need to buy groceries by the truckload in winter and spend half the summer pulling weeds; if I need something, I can just run down to the store and be back in 10 minutes! The rent is higher, but I'd bet that city life is, all told, cheaper. It's certainly a lot more convenient.

Maybe nobody else is bothered by it, but I don't like the insecurity of the countryside. Reading that earlier bit about ATV's reminded me of what it was like and got me posting in here. You're a long way from help out there, and there's plenty of strange happenings to put you on edge; somebody walking along the woods in the back pasture, cars pulling up in the dead of the night on an unused road, dead-line phone calls, etc. I recommend you leave your family home alone as little as possible--especially if you've got a nice looking house or expensive things--and that you get a solid outdoor guard dog like a German Shepherd, and train your wife and kids to load and shoot the guns you should keep close at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,432,420 times
Quote:
Well, maybe it's different where you live. Where I grew up, you wouldn't shoot somebody for crossing your land, as annoying as it is. Wouldn't shoot them for cutting through a fence or tearing up a corner of the beanfield either.
Wait a sec...How did we make the leap from knowing that trespassing is wrong and, at the very least, extremely rude to opening fire??
Or are you talking about Themanwithnoname who said his targets are set up alongside the No Trespassing sign. Ie, you really don't want to be there! Not that he's shooting at trespassers.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,474 posts, read 41,064,757 times
TODAY, living URBAN would have been cheaper... 60 T of fresh gravel (once every 5-10 yrs) We are a LONG way from the pit... ~ $400 just for trucking

Old 09-19-2012, 09:43 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,925,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post

If the damage was serious, what you would do is try to figure out which "neighbor" it was, then go pay them a visit to get them to stop.

Most of the time, though, it's just an annoyance not worth bothering about. One of the things city-or-suburb-dwellers should recognize they're going to have to deal with on their XXX acres of wooded land that people were hunting on, fishing in, and using long before they showed up and bought up the rights. Unless you're planning on spending your life patrolling your property, you're going to have trespassers. Best be prepared.
Yeah, happened to a guy here who bought a 5500 acre ranch. Got even taken to court a few times by the locals even though it was his land fair and square.

Different people, different strokes. I would allow maybe people hiking or horseback riding across my ranch IF they behaved - I would play it by ear. If not, I would post the land and there would be consequences for someone cutting my fencing and trespassing. It is called PRIVATE for a reason

Quote:
Myself, I'm glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore. After I moved to a metro area, I never looked back. I don't need a gun to defend my property; I've got neighbors within shouting distance and police cruisers rolling down my street 24/7. I don't need a 4WD vehicle, there's subways that run even when there's 2 feet of blowing snow. I don't need to buy groceries by the truckload in winter and spend half the summer pulling weeds; if I need something, I can just run down to the store and be back in 10 minutes! The rent is higher, but I'd bet that city life is, all told, cheaper. It's certainly a lot more convenient.
I am on the other end. Grew up in a city of 2 million. Lived in New York City too... Cannot stand the urban traffic, rude and inconsiderate drivers, the suffocation of asphalt and concrete. I want to just be able to ride my horse anywhere I want and anytime I want and enjoy life, tend to my garden and whatever livestock and chickens I have, spend all day with my family and that's it. Ideally I would split my existence between somewhere like Wyoming or New Mexico and Florida so I can get the best of both places - mountains and wilderness and the ocean

Quote:
Maybe nobody else is bothered by it, but I don't like the insecurity of the countryside. Reading that earlier bit about ATV's reminded me of what it was like and got me posting in here. You're a long way from help out there, and there's plenty of strange happenings to put you on edge; somebody walking along the woods in the back pasture, cars pulling up in the dead of the night on an unused road, dead-line phone calls, etc. I recommend you leave your family home alone as little as possible--especially if you've got a nice looking house or expensive things--and that you get a solid outdoor guard dog like a German Shepherd, and train your wife and kids to load and shoot the guns you should keep close at hand.
Agree with you here
OD

Old 09-19-2012, 12:47 PM

3,080 posts, read 10,037,472 times
Edit: I was serious about it being different where you live; not trying to be snide. In my particular corner of the midwest, someone driving across private property wasn't a huge deal. They weren't causing $1000's in damage or letting livestock out, or anything. Lots of people did it, so you wouldn't think it was a rustler or robber if you saw an armed man on a ATV in the back fields. In your neck of the woods, maybe it's a more serious situation.

About shooting ATV riders in general, though; yes, I was talking about the responses of purposful or "accidental" shootings. Even an accidental shooting is a tragedy; especially if it ends in death, paralysis, or a lifelong disability. Someone cutting across your land--in my experience and were I lived--was merely an annoyance. When I was a kid, I used to advocate dropping screws or nails along the tracks they were cutting in the back fields. Fortunately, my father was a cooler head an reminded me that killing someone or purposfully putting their life in danger is not an appropriate response to them being a jerk in a way that doesn't seriously threaten you or your livliehood.

ognend, funny how the grass really is sometimes greener.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:09 PM

1,102 posts, read 987,152 times
For me living Rural is the only way to fly. Once you go rural it is very hard to go back to living in a track house or in the city. Ones privacy and peace of mind way out weighs the occasional extra expense that can pop up when living rural. To have ones own water supply that is not subject to what ever the powers that be think needs to be added for public health....such as fluoride...is just one example of peace of mind and body for me. The space to wander....grow a garden...raise your own food...hunt..and fish without the masses is heaven. Not much left to say.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,304,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
For me living Rural is the only way to fly. Once you go rural it is very hard to go back to living in a track house or in the city. Ones privacy and peace of mind way out weighs the occasional extra expense that can pop up when living rural. To have ones own water supply that is not subject to what ever the powers that be think needs to be added for public health....such as fluoride...is just one example of peace of mind and body for me. The space to wander....grow a garden...raise your own food...hunt..and fish without the masses is heaven. Not much left to say.
I agree.

I enjoy being able to hunt and fish on my own land, grow crops and livestock. No visible neighbors to worry about offending.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:47 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,432,420 times
Quote:
About shooting ATV riders in general, though; yes, I was talking about the responses of purposful or "accidental" shootings. Even an accidental shooting is a tragedy; especially if it ends in death, paralysis, or a lifelong disability.
In that case, you need to re-read the post, because you completely misunderstood it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living