U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM

15 posts, read 39,342 times

Advertisements

i live in california and i HATE it, the air is ugly there is a lot of crime schools are overcrowded...n no jobs, i wanna move my 2 small kids n husband to a rural town where people are nice and u can make a decent living... im looking into tennessee,,nebraska,,,iowa,,oregon... :-s anyone got ideas? how do i do this? whee do i begin? i want a small nice town...whee halloween is Safe..and my kids can walk to a library without getting abducted... i live in a bad part of cali..due to the recession i have to sleep with a loaded gun wondering is someone going to climb through a window..or try and grab my children please help! my husband does contruction,technical stuff, hes an electrician..audio video tech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 03:04 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,973,895 times
All I can recommend is for you and your husband to do a lot of research. City-Data is a good place to start. There are many states in the Midwest, South and Southeast where there are numerous small towns that might meet your needs but as a native Californian (as is my wife) who left the state as soon as it was feasible, you may be in for as bit of culture shock. We were spared that, both of us having lived elsewhere in the past and having a good idea and some first-hand experience with different social and cultural areas.

Oregon has been significantly Californicated so it might be familiar but it also costs more than the other states you cited. Nebraska and Iowa are very agricultural and comparatively sparsely populated. Tennessee has no state income tax. Work for your husband will likely be a prime driver. Just do your homework and with luck and perseverance you'll find just the right spot. We did.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 PM

2,572 posts, read 2,611,383 times
Start looking on state job service sites. Save everything you possibly can. Figure out what little you can live with.

I moved across country with basically enough to go camping as far as kitchen things go. Other than that we brought clothing, sleeping bags, toiletries, and photos. Everything else can be bought second hand and you meet a lot of people at garage sales or through ads.

Of the four states you mentioned, my initial leanings are eastern Nebraska and western Iowa. Close enough for commuting to Omaha, NE or Sioux Falls, SD but with some small towns where rents may be less expensive.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:32 PM

48 posts, read 156,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valarieM85 View Post
i live in california and i HATE it, the air is ugly there is a lot of crime schools are overcrowded...n no jobs, i wanna move my 2 small kids n husband to a rural town where people are nice and u can make a decent living... im looking into tennessee,,nebraska,,,iowa,,oregon... :-s anyone got ideas? how do i do this? whee do i begin? i want a small nice town...whee halloween is Safe..and my kids can walk to a library without getting abducted... i live in a bad part of cali..due to the recession i have to sleep with a loaded gun wondering is someone going to climb through a window..or try and grab my children please help! my husband does contruction,technical stuff, hes an electrician..audio video tech.
As a Southern Californian I can totally understand where you're coming from. We've been looking and researching places for almost a year now and have it narrowed down to a couple of states. The main things we've looked at are:

1.) Population state and city wide (we want small town feel. tired of city life)
2.) Job Market (go to any job site and just do some searching for jobs you want and states you're interested in. It gives you a feel for how the job market is in that particular state)
3.) Costs of owning or renting a home (zillow.com is where I do all my reseach for that)
4.) Outdoor activites (both of us love hiking, fishing, archery, etc)

Now some sites that really helped us were:

Find Your Spot dot com- It helped gives us an idea of what states to start out with
Monster.com - Allowed us to see how which states would have more job openings for a particular job market (keep in mind that the number of jobs do change, but it did help)
Zillow.com - you can check out the cost of renting and/or owning in the states you are curious about. In comparision to California...everything's better.
City-Data.com - Amongst the obvious reasons, the photo threads really helped to give an idea of what the states look like. Plus with you having kids, you can easily get some information about the school districts and whatnot by starting a thread about it. And read the General Moving Thread for the hints
and whatnot about how to go about it.

I hope that helps. I realize I may not be the best person to answer this (as I'm STILL in Sou Cal), but it's how we started looking. Just remember that there are give and takes to whereever you go. I love my mountains and want them, but where the job market for my husband is better, there are no mountains. On the plus side, I looked at a map of the US and found that the surrounding states DO have mountains and are like a half-day's drive. So...I think I can hang.

I hope you find that safe place you are looking for.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,661,294 times
The Shale Oil Fields in North Dakota are booming, he might find good employment up there....

Old 09-23-2012, 08:06 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,144,125 times
Part of the problem is small town and work, the two don't often go together. Like others have said, do your research and prepare to commute to a larger town for work. I'm in AK right now and there is work to be had but full time, non-seasonal work is much sparser the smaller one goes in town population.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,380,085 times
It will be a culture shock for your kids where ever you move. There is a big difference between a small town and a rural town. Medical care and education are your largest concerns.

I can show you a village of under 10,000 with a good school system, that is totally independent of the larger city that surrounds it. Construction is on the uptick, and you can find live theatre, and a place for audio/video techs. No mountains, but high rolling hills, cliffs, forested areas, and a children's hospital. You can also find several more communities within 20 miles in any direction.

In northwestern Arkansas, if you drive from the Missouri border to Hot Springs you pass thru three mountain ranges. Grove, OK is in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains on Grand Lake. Big Springs, TX is hot bed of oil fields. Joplin, MO is still rebuilding after last years EF-5 tornado destroyed hundreds of buildings.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 AM

8,686 posts, read 9,461,468 times
Quote:
i live in california and i HATE it, the air is ugly there is a lot of crime schools are overcrowded...n no jobs,
I live in CA and have none of those problems.

Quote:

i wanna move my 2 small kids n husband to a rural town where people are nice and u can make a decent living... im looking into tennessee,,nebraska,,,iowa,,oregon... :-s anyone got ideas? how do i do this? whee do i begin? i want a small nice town...whee halloween is Safe..and my kids can walk to a library without getting abducted... i live in a bad part of cali..due to the recession i have to sleep with a loaded gun wondering is someone going to climb through a window..or try and grab my children please help! my husband does contruction,technical stuff, hes an electrician..audio video tech.
Yep this is how it is in my nearby CA town of 4500.

With that said, good luck with your search!

And remember: CA does not mean LA. 95% of CA's land mass is not urban.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 AM

192 posts, read 301,867 times
You're exactly like me!!! Im in San Diego and want out so badly. I just had a baby and me and my husband are so tired of it here. We are going to The tri-cities area in tennessee. The cities are only like 20 thousand people and there are a bunch of smaller towns around. http://www.city-data.com/city/Blount...Tennessee.html I think it is so beautiful there. It might be what you are looking for too.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 AM

5,929 posts, read 5,937,929 times
Oh also, Google Maps, you can put in any kind of address or place, and then you can see a street view of it. its like the next best thing taking a tour right from your own home! (or wherever your computer is)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living