U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:53 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,143,473 times

Advertisements

Yes or we introduced ourselves to them. 90% of the time it was when we were out working on the property. Most commented that they didn't know the previous owners because they weren't out much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 PM

347 posts, read 729,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
One of the reasons people choose to live in a small town is there is less diversity and more people are just like you. The result is people feel more comfortable talking to strangers because they share a common mindset, language and culture. If your neighbors look at you and see you as someone like them who they would feel comfortable with, they will come over and talk, right?

Heaven forbid if you are outside the mainstream of the people in that town though. Different race, religion, culture, style, ESL, etc. Then you are DOA socially, except in progressive college towns.
Ah yes, people who stereotype, generalize, and cause unprovoked trouble sure are frustrating eh? (whats the emoticon for irony?)

Last edited by ohazco; 09-20-2012 at 11:51 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 06:09 AM

9,213 posts, read 11,172,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I live in New York City but recently took a long drive through upstate NY on the rural roads through tons of small and mid sized towns. As I passed through the towns I wondered what it would be like to live there and pictured myself being lucky enough to find a job in the town and moving into different houses I saw.

Mostly these were towns of 5000-15000 people. That was the size that caught my eye. These were not suburbs of big cities or places were the majority of the residents were forced to drive 100 miles for work. (I suspect these long commute towns suck the life out of the community and the people who live there.)

Will the people I move next to on the street come over and say hello? Is there still a welcome wagon? Will I be invited to church by the local minister? Will they observe me from afar and not approach me unless I approach them?

My neighbors in NY and other bigger cities I have moved to have never paid me any mind at all.
I live outside of Syracuse, in a relatively small "town" I'd say. No, there's no welcome wagon here. One neighbor very nice, the rest indifferent. In some smaller areas, you are considered an outsider if they don't know your family, friends, etc... Odd concept to me, but that's what some small towns in the US are like. I actually feel larger areas or cities can be more "friendly," or let's just say tolerant of differences, which is "friendly" to me.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 AM

15,235 posts, read 22,237,749 times
Only one couple stopped by to introduce themselves when we moved in, so we threw a party and invited all the neighbors.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,204,097 times
It's been 2 years since I moved to a more rural setting and I have yet to meet hardly any neighbors. I just met the man that lived across the street even though I met his wife 2 years ago. People aren't unfriendly, they wave, say hi, they just don't make an effort to introduce themselves. Some people might be put out if people aren't more "welcoming" but I know that it is a two way street and I haven't made alot of effort myself since I prefer to keep to myself. Plus, I found that alot of people in the neighborhood are local business owners or work where I do so I tend to see them in an environment outside of the neighborhood.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 PM

96 posts, read 148,254 times
My neighbors came by and introduced themselves to me. One of them even had a welcoming "party" of sorts to welcome us when we first moved in. We though it was a little weird moving there from the city, but you get used to the increased friendlyness (and sometimes nosiness) of the neighbors! I have wonderful neighbors, but I also live in a small town in Oklahoma which may explain it. They keep a watch out for anyone trying to break into my house. I still remember the first call I got when my Grandma forgot her key and was trying to "break in" through a window! Not as diverse as the city, for sure, but it is great that there can be different places to live. To each their own. I've lived in the city my whole life and had neighbors that I rarely saw, much less spoken with. It's a different feeling in the small town. I feel more self-sufficient and know I have a well and plenty of land to grow on if we needed to live entirely off the land we could do it. I love where I live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living