U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM

96 posts, read 148,248 times

Advertisements

In our area there are a lot of farmers and ranchers that grow a lot of organic produce and meats. I would like to see a restaurant that supported the locals by incorporating food from the area in their meals.

We have a peach farm you can pick your own peaches and berries, fresh honey and of course lots of cattle around and a meat market. Recently they have started trying to have a farmer's market downtown one weekend a month, but it hasn't taken off yet. We have a mom and pop joint that serves fried greasy food and some hamburger places and a Subway. All of these restaurants order their food products in frozen from who knows where to serve to us. A lot of growers are opening their doors to people from the city to drive out and pick their own peaches or berries, as well as other fresh vegetables that are in season. I would like to see a restaurant that used at least SOME of the locally grown produce and meats in their foods. Now THAT I would pay to eat!

Good luck to you and kudos to you for bringing small business to the small town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 01:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,481 posts, read 41,079,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I can say that anyone who has a larger passenger van, .... People will always need transportation and supplies ... It might not be a full-time gig, but it would definitely be a reliable one in the repertoire.

One idea that we've had would be coordinating bulk supply ordering and delivery. Sort of like a merchantile, but without the storefront and inventory. .... You'd have to be a good people-person with excellent organizational skills and ultra-reliable... but it could work for the right person.
This is something I encourage for smaller remote communities "Provisioner / transportation / errand service". I keep a fleet of 50 mpg VW's that have 'decent' cargo capacity + Roof racks for 20' plastic pipe and lumber + tow light trailers, + a minivan + a Cummins 1T dually and flatbed trailer (30,000# GCVW), and a Mack Semi (w/ dump). Seems to be about the right mix, based on potential needs for rural transportation

When living in Asia, many folks use 'provisioner services' for groceries and goods. (B'cuz it takes forever to go all over town to; meat store, fish store, veggie store, fruit store, bakery, lighting store, plumbing store, lumber store, toothpaste store ... AND you may Queue for hours in EACH store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey7083 View Post
In our area there are a lot of farmers and ranchers that grow a lot of organic produce and meats. I would like to see a restaurant that supported the locals by incorporating food from the area in their meals.

We have a peach farm you can pick your own peaches and berries, fresh honey and of course lots of cattle around and a meat market. Recently they have started trying to have a farmer's market downtown one weekend a month, ... A lot of growers are opening their doors to people from the city to drive out and pick their own peaches or berries, as well as other fresh vegetables that are in season. I would like to see a restaurant that used at least SOME of the locally grown produce and meats in their foods. Now THAT I would pay to eat!

Good luck to you and kudos to you for bringing small business to the small town!
Farmers Market? For small towns and many producters... consider a 'cooperative' mobile market that has a step van, and can come pick up from small growers and have a schedule of different towns during the week. THIS is really benefiticial to growers and consumers ! (Save time and money).
Here is what our local area does. Gorge Grown Mobile Farmers' Market | Gorge Grown Food Network I used to have a commercial 'u-pick' berrie farm, I would have LOVED to have a mobile Farmers Market come and fetch my produce. (Regular schedule + NO need to pack up and go sit all day at market, when you need to be home FARMING)

Food prep / sales in small rural town.... Personally. I would do that 'mobile also', then serve 1 day / week in different towns at Parks / churches / grange hall / schools / firehalls...
BBQ trailer and a NICE outfitted roach coach, and you could be pretty successful and busy catering local / regional events as well.

Be sure you have diesel power, so you can burn your used fryer oil for fuel! (plus the oil from mom and pop's burger bar. + local Mex and any Chinese cafes. (Best for lower Fat oil)

Old 09-28-2012, 04:47 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,012,298 times
Most people who live in rural areas tend to be self-sufficient, e.g., change their own oil, repair their own cars and equipment, houses, barns, fences, etc. I would like to be able to buy a $1.00 bolt locally rather than spending $25.00 in gas and half the day driving to get one. My vote goes for a rural business is for a small general/auto/hardware store.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 PM

14,719 posts, read 45,824,484 times
Just sayin', running a restaurant is a LOT of work. Ever since getting married, I eat out a lot less than when I was a batchelor.

Where we are, there are quite a few good restaurants though. What I really miss is a good old-fashioned hardware store that sells hunting and fishing supplies as well as all sorts of knives and tools.

I do love a good old-style used book store, too. Out down the valley, there are not too many of them, but in the Tri-City area a few still do OK.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 PM

347 posts, read 729,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
lol

If wishes were horses, fools would ride. What I wish would open up and what is actually viable in such a sparsely populated area are two different things.

I wish we had a good, high speed internet provider for less than $80 a month.
I wish we had 3G cell service.
I wish we had large quilt shop that gives classes.
I wish we had a four year college closer than 200 miles away (oh wait, that's not a small business...)
I wish we had a pizza place with delivery. Or a pizza place that was open every night of the week, for that matter. lol
Sidetrack, but fyi I saw in the paper Viaero just upgraded to 4G through most of NE Colorado into KS & NE a little bit, if you happen to lie in the covered area.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,430 times
Yeah, ironically, they recently did that. And it has caused absolute chaos in the system.
Texts go missing or wait hours to be delivered or received. Calls are dropped or never connected...
I've had Viaero for nearly ten years, but I swear if they don't get this figured out soon, I'm going to Verizon!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 PM

43,012 posts, read 93,764,981 times
Verizon does have the best national coverage. I researched this because hubby's job takes him everywhere.

I want to thank everyone for sharing their ideas. I loved hearing what it's like in other areas of the country.

I'd love to hear more!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 PM

9,784 posts, read 11,269,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What I really miss is a good old-fashioned hardware store that sells hunting and fishing supplies as well as all sorts of knives and tools.

I do love a good old-style used book store, too. Out down the valley, there are not too many of them, but in the Tri-City area a few still do OK.
Big hardware stores are big city stores. Used bookstores have become an anachronism. But amazon and its marketplace sellers serve people everywhhere so it's no loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Verizon does have the best national coverage. I researched this because hubby's job takes him everywhere.

I want to thank everyone for sharing their ideas. I loved hearing what it's like in other areas of the country.

I'd love to hear more!
Century Link employees here carry Verizon cellphones. That seems to say it all.

Home businesses and telecommuting are rapidly growing fields in Wyoming. Since there are no state taxes or licences they're a natural.

Brothels in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Utah closed about thirty years ago. Does Utah's having brothels surprise people? Well, contrary to what most people would thnk Utah once had many open towns as they were called. There were punchboards in every corner store in Salt Lake through the early Seventies or later.

Leadville, Colorado, the most wide open and toughest, was shut down by the US Army in 1942 and never rose again to its former glory. The last brothel closed about 1970.

The first time I played a slot machine I was about seven years old; it was in Colorado.

Jackson, Wyoming, a town known for illegal high stakes gambling, became another playground for wealthy liberals. The rest of Wyoming is still very conservative or libertarian.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,951,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What type of small business have you always wished you had in your area?

We're moving from city suburbs to a rural area. It's not like we're strangers to the area. We have owned 100 acres .
If your NOT strangers.... than you would know what type of small business would benefit the community. Owning property and "not being a stranger" are 2 totally different things.. I "vacation' in a very rural area.. and anyone that comes in and "thinks" they aren't strangers are in for a LOAD of hurt! The mentality of "I own property" does NOT buy you brownie points.. the townspeople will look at you and go "And, your point is what?"..

Define Rural??? I grew up in a county of less than 60k people. I vacation in a town of less than 500.. (just to get away from the metro area)

My suggestion... find out what people WANT in your "area".. What I would love in the area I go to is a nice coffee shop.. Not a chain..
A place to get a homemade muffin and a great cup of coffee.. have some games out for the locals to hang out and play bridge, or chess..

What type of people are you going to be catering to vs what you want to cater to.. My town I grew up in someone tried to open up a "high end" fashion store (clothing over $100 per shirt).. people can afford it, but are more thoughtful on what they can spend that money on and are more money consious.

If you are not a stranger.. ask around..

Old 10-02-2012, 01:16 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,372,356 times
Rural? My county is less than 15,000 because we have a LOT of 1000 acre farms. The county seat is small but rich in people resources; hardware, auto supply, lumber company, lawn and yard mowers and tractor repair, restaurants, a walkable square, auto sales and service, hospital, library, 10Mbps down, a variety store, etc.. What it doesn't have is transportation, handyman, a farmer's market or large appliance repair. Ya takes what ya can git.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living