U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,435,621 times

Advertisements

ohazco, do you have Viaero? At first I thought the lousy service issues were specific to my phone, or maybe just my primary tower. But I was talking to friends from Wray and Idalia a couple of weeks ago who were having the exact same complaints... Have you had issues in Burlington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 05:49 PM

96 posts, read 148,281 times
[quote=StealthRabbit;26290388]
Farmers Market? For small towns and many producters... consider a 'cooperative' mobile market that has a step van, and can come pick up from small growers and have a schedule of different towns during the week. THIS is really benefiticial to growers and consumers ! (Save time and money).
Here is what our local area does. Gorge Grown Mobile Farmers' Market | Gorge Grown Food Network I used to have a commercial 'u-pick' berrie farm, I would have LOVED to have a mobile Farmers Market come and fetch my produce. (Regular schedule + NO need to pack up and go sit all day at market, when you need to be home FARMING)

I just love this idea! I wish someone would come to my town and do this! I would pay to have fresh produce delivered and I think a lot of the mom/pop places would benefit from this too instead of paying a lot to have the other stuff drove in...

Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM

133 posts, read 553,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I would kiss the ground if someone would open a Greek, German, or Polish restaurant. A Greek coffee shop would be great. I'd be very pleased if another dry cleaners would open to provide competition and end the price gouging.

Your reception by locals depends upon the area. Where I live newcomers are very welcome as long as they don't try to destroy our conservative and libertarian laws and practices. But not all places are like this one where more than half of the population were born somewhere else. Our merchants are fat and happy this year with record tourist business. The recession here was going from a supercharged economy to a decent one. Property values are moving up again.

But you'll find a very different situatioin where people don't have money; they'll hate the outsider who does. There are also places where there's great resentment against transplants, usually because they're believed to cause property values to go up. But if you're going to a prosperous area you should be fine. I wouldn't open a business, however, until I'd gotten to know the community and met people. Then you'll find out what they want.

But there are places where people just hate transplants on general principles. Our neighboring state of Montana is like that. Where is your land? Knowing that will help people give you the right advice. I'd also open a thread on the state forum and try to get a feel for local sentiment.

I grew up in the Chicago area but I now live in a county with a population density of four per square mile. I wouldn't go back there for anything. I prefer antelope and bear to barflies and muggers.

Oh, my. We have much in common. I grew up in Illinois also. There isn't a gyros to be had within a hundred miles of here. I've brainstormed on what it would take to start a "chicago-style" grill. This is a college town. For a rural community, we're lucky to have an economy. Unfortunately, the rents are high for a rural market.

Interesting note, if you want to start a business like this, work the vendors over for as much equipment as possible. Sign a contract with a gyros vendor and push them for a spindle. Likewise, the soft drink vendors will provide refrigerators, fountains, etc. Really, the hardest part is securing a place to rent.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 AM

347 posts, read 729,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
ohazco, do you have Viaero? At first I thought the lousy service issues were specific to my phone, or maybe just my primary tower. But I was talking to friends from Wray and Idalia a couple of weeks ago who were having the exact same complaints... Have you had issues in Burlington?
No I don't... I have Verizon, but Verizon is not worth much outside the I-70 corridor around here. I know the co-op and my wife's business use Viaero because of its better coverage in the country, but haven't really talked to them about their coverage beyond that. I have a flip phone from 7 years ago so I'm out of loop on the cell phone stuff though haha.

As to business idea's, our feed store and bowling alley are both for currently for sale. A bigger deal here (and rural communities across the country) is that our movie theater closed this weekend due to the unaffordable need to upgrade to digital. I see that Wray and St. Francis, and others across the country, are raising money to save their theaters... I hope we can do that too.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:53 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,435,621 times
Quote:
but Verizon is not worth much outside the I-70 corridor around here
No, it's not. Shoot, drive up to Wray and you won't have anything w/Verizon unless you're right IN town. Same is true to the east of Wray and north... (my husband has Verizon because they have the best coverage up in the ND oil field)
Viaero, OTOH, covers everywhere I go. I drive all over the state of Nebraska, western Kansas, eastern Colorado and up into both Dakotas. Viaero almost always has coverage.
Sometimes it's roaming, for example, in Denver, but a nationwide plan covers that and most of the time it's local anyway...

There's a reason I've been with Viearo for a decade. But I sure wish they'd get this 4G thing figured out, soon!!

Quote:
I see that Wray and St. Francis, and others across the country, are raising money to save their theaters...
Their theaters are "saved" for the moment, they're just always raising more money to operate them.
Wray, Sainty, Benkelman, NE, Imperial, NE... All of them are volunteer-run. You can plan on a single movie (current ones), for 2-3 nights each week. They all have a minimally-paid manager, and different groups and families will "adopt" the operation of the the theater for a weekend's show. But it's a good way to keep affordable entertainment in town.

Last edited by itsMeFred; 10-04-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 01:51 PM

972 posts, read 1,482,146 times
How about a small antique shop? That has always seemed like a good idea to me. If the town is small (under 20,000) it would need to be on a main street of town, so people passing through town would see it as well. Antique/Consignment store and possibly do Estate sales as a part of that...although it would take some time to build up a business enough to be able to do both of these.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:42 PM

16,359 posts, read 13,805,345 times
Main street in my town is trying to cope with the presence of two Wal-Marts and strip malls by opening used merchandise or thrift stores. So offer something that the big stores don't want anything to do with. However, I know a town big enough to have just one Wal-Mart is too big or not rural enough to a number of people.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:34 PM

3,857 posts, read 5,385,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What type of small business have you always wished you had in your area?

We're moving from city suburbs to a rural area. It's not like we're strangers to the area. We have owned 100 acres up there for over 35 years. Now we've decided to move there permanently.

I'd like to start a business. Maybe a small store. Maybe a restaurant. Not sure.

Also, my big concern is if the rural area/small town would be receptive to a business being opened by an outsider.
Just a thought...what about a little shop where you sold items that are made by some of the local artisans? It's a fact that up here in northern Pennsylvania there are dozens of folks in any given town that love to make homemade, hand-made gifts and crafts. This would give you instant inventory, an immediate rapport with the locals, and a chance to boast of goods that are made in the USA.
I personally live thirty miles from any downtown areas, and I can think of at least ten people right around my house that make quilts, rugs, pottery, framed photography and paintings, jewelry, etc.

Here's a link that may help you find people close to where you're planning to move:

Northern Tier Cultural Alliance

You may just find a willing bunch who would be thrilled to have their creations showcased in a real store!

Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM

4,128 posts, read 5,441,297 times
My suggestion is don't jump in to anything without learning all you can about it first. You need to research extensively to determine a market for what ever venue you're shooting for. Weather it be food or anything else. And even if you've spent time there you still don't have a feel for the year-round market.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,509 posts, read 41,105,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
.... I sure wish they'd get this 4G thing figured out, soon!!

Their theaters are "saved" for the moment, they're just always raising more money to operate them.
Wray, Sainty, Benkelman, NE, Imperial, NE... All of them are volunteer-run
. ....
Rural internet.??.. novel Idea... (I have better internet today in China that I have ever had in rural USA... China and most countries understand the benefit to commerce and citizens.)

Here is what we are doing locally; http://www.mcedd.org/LTPT/LTPThome.htm At least you don't have to worry about pushing your CO / NE signal around and through 300' tall trees.

RE: movie theatres in Rural NE, CO, SD and WY...my coworkers and I brought your movies (and newspapers) for MANY years in this beast (or one just like her...) http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...lion-miles.jpg

Last remaining fleet of Stude Diesels. I met a farm guy on the Oregon coast from Peetz, CO that remembered laying in bed on Saturday night and hearing me for miles away, scream ('n jimmy) up the long hill and HOWL off into NE...

I did NOT enjoy hanging around the theaters till movies were rewound and placed in the cans... The movie houses were all quite friendly and offered MORE popcorn...I didn't get paid by the hr, and the runs were LONG and Very lonely and COLD... Especially while listening to Saturday evening 'Music-to-neck-by' from KUNC This is REAL small town Stuff!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-13-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living