U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:42 AM

43,012 posts, read 93,764,981 times

Advertisements

What type of small business have you always wished you had in your area?

We're moving from city suburbs to a rural area. It's not like we're strangers to the area. We have owned 100 acres up there for over 35 years. Now we've decided to move there permanently.

I'd like to start a business. Maybe a small store. Maybe a restaurant. Not sure.

Also, my big concern is if the rural area/small town would be receptive to a business being opened by an outsider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:52 AM

9,784 posts, read 11,269,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

We're moving from city suburbs to a rural area. It's not like we're strangers to the area. We have owned 100 acres up there for over 35 years. Now we've decided to move there permanently.

I'd like to start a business. Maybe a small store. Maybe a restaurant. Not sure.

Also, my big concern is if the rural area/small town would be receptive to a business being opened by an outsider.
I would kiss the ground if someone would open a Greek, German, or Polish restaurant. A Greek coffee shop would be great. I'd be very pleased if another dry cleaners would open to provide competition and end the price gouging.

Your reception by locals depends upon the area. Where I live newcomers are very welcome as long as they don't try to destroy our conservative and libertarian laws and practices. But not all places are like this one where more than half of the population were born somewhere else. Our merchants are fat and happy this year with record tourist business. The recession here was going from a supercharged economy to a decent one. Property values are moving up again.

But you'll find a very different situatioin where people don't have money; they'll hate the outsider who does. There are also places where there's great resentment against transplants, usually because they're believed to cause property values to go up. But if you're going to a prosperous area you should be fine. I wouldn't open a business, however, until I'd gotten to know the community and met people. Then you'll find out what they want.

But there are places where people just hate transplants on general principles. Our neighboring state of Montana is like that. Where is your land? Knowing that will help people give you the right advice. I'd also open a thread on the state forum and try to get a feel for local sentiment.

I grew up in the Chicago area but I now live in a county with a population density of four per square mile. I wouldn't go back there for anything. I prefer antelope and bear to barflies and muggers.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:02 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,526,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

A small ma and pa type of store or cafe sounds great but make sure of the 'bigger' ones in or near your area, not everyone supports the smaller communities and businesses. Ive always wanted to start my own hot dog stand but out here there really is no busy place to set up, would have to do so in the a nearby city, and the nearest bigger city is about 29 miles from here.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:05 AM

34,454 posts, read 43,301,321 times
Also look at your service area, really LOOK at it. It is large enough to support the business? Would it be seasonal? Is the business really something that's needed/wanted or would it be a hobby/vanity business? Ask yourself and others why that type of business isn't there already.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:25 AM

248 posts, read 682,169 times
Move first then figure out the community's needs

Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the responses. It's in Northwestern, Pennsylvania.

There are a few small towns near within reasonable commute to our property that seem to have thriving small businesses. That's where I'd open one. I'm just in the brainstorming phase. We're heading up there this weekend to scout out the area. There are restaurantsand and other types of small businesses. Need to check out small boutiques---the competition is an outlet mall and a real mall.

Happy in Wyoming, thanks for mentioning a coffee shop. I was thinking of a sandwich shop or something with a limited menu like that., at least to start out. I have visions of a small live music venue or organizing live concerts for the area.

As for trying to change conservative laws, I wouldn't do that. I'm a liberal but the libertarian type who doesn't care what anyone else does. My current city, Pittsburgh, is a live and let live type of place. I think that translates throughout the rural places in the north too.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,430 times
Quote:
Move first then figure out the community's needs
I agree. These things tend to vary greatly based on your geography, demographics, proximity to major population centers, etc. And you can't truly get a feel for it from internet searches...

Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I agree. These things tend to vary greatly based on your geography, demographics, proximity to major population centers, etc. And you can't truly get a feel for it from internet searches...
For the sake of interesting conversation in the "Rural and Small Town Living" forum, I'm asking.

What type of small business do you wish would open up in southwest Nebraska and northwest Kansas?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:44 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,430 times
lol

If wishes were horses, fools would ride. What I wish would open up and what is actually viable in such a sparsely populated area are two different things.

I wish we had a good, high speed internet provider for less than $80 a month.
I wish we had 3G cell service.
I wish we had large quilt shop that gives classes.
I wish we had a four year college closer than 200 miles away (oh wait, that's not a small business...)
I wish we had a pizza place with delivery. Or a pizza place that was open every night of the week, for that matter. lol

Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Or a pizza place that was open every night of the week, for that matter. lol
This is probably doable!

I realize there is rural, and then there is RURAL, where houses are miles apart.

The county I'm considering has a population of 55k in 683 square miles. (Keep in mind I'm moving from a metro area with a population of 2.5 million.)

It has two cities, which I consider small towns because their populations are 6k and 11k, and quite a few smaller towns.

The two cities are next to each other so that population is basically 17k.

There is another city of 5k about 20 minutes away in another county to the north.

There is another city of 8k about 30 minutes away in yet another county to the west.

There is another city of 6k about 40 minutes away in yet another county to the east.

It's between two large metro areas. One has 2.5 million about 2 hours away. The other is 600k about an hour away.

I did post in my state's forum, but nobody has answered yet. I figured I'd come down here and talk to the rural and small town lovers!

So, if you live in an area where houses are miles apart and the nearest town is a half a day's drive away, what do you wish that small town or small city had that it doesn't have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living