U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 04:10 PM

3,857 posts, read 5,385,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

Anyway, those of you who live far in the boonies - give me some trash-free hope!
I wish I could. I am roughly twenty-five miles in any direction from a "real" downtown area, and I still see cans, bottles, bags, pizza boxes, etc., lining the country roadways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 04:23 PM

2,050 posts, read 1,254,362 times
What disgusts me is during the hunting season here we find fast food sacks and containers 30 miles or more from the nearest large town. What on earth are people thinking when they throw these out of their vehicles, much less plastic bags?

Old 10-25-2012, 05:44 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,807,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
OK, our farm is TWO AND A HALF MILES AWAY from town. We're about five miles from a Walmart. But, we just combined our beans and now what do I see rolling around the fields? Plastic Walmart bags! You know they're in the corn, too. And they're out there floating around all the time, it's just that they're more visible when the fields are cleared. AAAAARRRGGG! Stop using plastic bags, people! Unless you just love the fact that plastic ends up gumming up our equipment and floats around with and in the food you eventually eat. I should say that it's not just Walmart, it's the town's grocery store bags too. If you just have to use plastic bags at least throw them away or recycle them in a way that they won't get out and float around the universe. It's so depressing to look out over our beautiful fields on a bright blue sunshiney day with hawks and geese in the sky - and see dirty little blue bags floating around the ground or stuck in the sloughs. Yuuuck!
We reuse our plastic bags constantly for garbage, litter box clean outs, etc. and never seem to have enough of them. The ones that aren't usable any longer get burned with the rest of the trash. I have not seen any blowing across our land, but we're 17 miles away so maybe they can't make it that far.

Until they come up with a plausible alternative, I'd say we're pretty much stuck with them. Personally, I much rather have an army of plastic bags than disposable diapers, but most ecologically minded people aren't willing to sacrifice the convenience. They would rather complain about WalMart bags.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,421,265 times
I get the bags in my yard from time to time.
The same thoughts going through my mind.

I don't like to use them myself. When I go grocery shopping, I use a large tote bin 18x24x20 size which is perfect to fit in a shopping cart. I fill it up and during checkout it's emptied then everything goes right back in it. It's a great system. Not just for the time it saves and the bags it saves but it enables me to put much more in the backseat of my p/u and don't have bags spilling out all over the place. One trip in and out of the house with the groceries. And the bread never gets squashed anymore. I wouldn't go back to bags even if there was no environmental impact.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:55 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,973,895 times
Thankfully, where we are, about 20 miles from anywhere, we don't see this. We also started taking our own "permanent" bags for shopping many years ago. It just makes good sense.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,458,423 times
Oh the benefits of being a Walmart nation. Stores should stamp the person's last name into the plastic bag itself so the Sheriff can issue fines for each bag found on the side of the road.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,046,772 times
We use the cloth for groceries because our store does not give away plastic for free and you can only purchase paper or cloth. The plastic we get from other stores we use for litter, etc. I saw a PBS special where one guy was actually collecting those throw-away plastic bags and using them somehow in a process to make electronic devices/generate electricity or something like that. He had a newer, small operation but I wished that he had published his address because I would be glad to send him mine once a year.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:26 PM

62 posts, read 87,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Oh the benefits of being a Walmart nation. Stores should stamp the person's last name into the plastic bag itself so the Sheriff can issue fines for each bag found on the side of the road.
And how in the hell is that going to work when people start getting fined because the bags blow off of the recycling truck? Dumb idea, IMHO, as there would be no practical way to make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living