U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 PM

21,104 posts, read 36,596,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
Well, I've been in that area of VT for 9 years and the Littleton area for 8 years prior to that and Vt is the better choice for me. Sure, NH has no state income/sales tax but for ME everything else seems more beneficial in VT. I have a nicer, new house (basically the same as the one in NH) and my property taxes are 1/3 of what they were. VT has a tax rebate system based on your income. If you're looking to retire and possibly have more equity in your house or own it outright and don't need a huge income then VT could work better. Remember... There is NO tax free state so you need to look at your own situation.

Also, I'd look at the growth potential in Newport stemming from Jay Peak expansion and we have been getting a lot more Canadians. In Littleton it's basically unplanned urban sprawl based on shopping. As for the people/environment? Same.
I heard about the Jay Peak expansion. I also heard a possibility of continued expansion for Burke Mountain. You must have found a low tax town in VT because many of them have a property tax burden that is at or higher than NH towns. St. Johnsbury being a primary example. My favorite area of northern NH would be the rural corridor of route 2 in Jefferson and Randolph. Now, that is a great area, especially for outdoor recreation with the Appalachian Trail and all the spur trails off Bowman junction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 04:58 PM

14,719 posts, read 45,819,453 times
When I spent a couple weeks working near Brattleboro, it was entertaining to see the natives drive their Volvos over the line to the big Wal-Mart in NH nearby. With NH being so similar to VT but with generally lower taxes, why anyone would pick VT over it is beyond me.

This was obvious to me after only 2 weeks there. If you were already in VT, OK then - or maybe in swanstone's particular situation. If you want to live in a bigger, nicer house but don't have much income (not sure how you would make that work unless you already have the paid-for house or sell one elsewhere and pay cash for the house) maybe VT would work better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living