U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,318,881 times

Advertisements

Montana gets A LOT of snow in the regions that suit what you want. Jobs are scarce, even the nursing field is "iffy". I have a friend who has to drive 90 miles one way for an on call NICU nurse position only to turn back around, drive the 90 miles home, turn around and drive 90 miles the opposite direction for another on call NICU position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 PM

4,125 posts, read 5,439,290 times
The OP should look at MN if cold isn't an issue - we've got plenty of warm time in the summer.

The work is there for those skills. Schools are pretty good for that matter too. Rentals are fairly reasonable and there are plenty of smaller towns to choose from for preference of life style.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 AM

29 posts, read 38,147 times
I had not even considered NY. I will have to look into the area and see what I can find. I am sure I will be looking for a place that I will have to drivev to see the different landscapes just for cheaper and more regular weather.... but I am up for a drive as long as it isn't 3+ hours to get there. lol And thank you for the update on montana. I noticed I was not finding much for job availablitity there and the pay for health care positions also is not very good either. The weather was the one thing that I was loving about the state and the fact that it rated 29th out of 50 for school stats for states.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
It's a miracle that this thread is still alive considering that the OP terms are "I love warm, I love cold, I love anywhere really, please tell me where to go". My advice is - stop wasting time here and do some research online, narrow down what is important to you (really important) in terms of jobs opportunities , climate, school, taxes, outdoors activities, sports, medical care, airports, whether it is blue or red and yadda yadda yadda and then decide on a few states and ask focused questions. This is a huge country and there is something for everyone but just asking a broad question like you did will get you nowhere.

OD

Old 11-18-2012, 11:08 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,871,514 times
OP, where in Iowa do you live now, what area? If you have a 3 hour limit as far as traveling, that will limit you a great deal right there. If finding a job is a consideration, be aware many of the smaller towns are not going to have much in the way of employment opportunities. I wouldn't be moving without a job lined up. Take a look at taxes in the new state too, that can have an effect on your bottom line. It also seems that many of the southern small towns do have problems with crime and gangs. More so than one would think, consider that if you do plan a move south.

I'm in Iowa and I'd like a change too, so I understand wanting something different. Still you don't seem to have defined exactly what you want and what areas will be a good fit. I agree Minnesota might work for you. I think overall its much prettier than Iowa. Michigan is also a beautiful state, the northern lower peninsula, and the upper peninsula are an unspoiled natural paradise.

There is a wealth of information on the internet about just about every place. I would make a must have list, and then do some research on possible places for relocation, starting relatively close to you and working your way out from there. A good job opportunity might dictate where you end up, so check websites like monster.com. Good Luck.
http://www.monster.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living