U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,703,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Well, 9 am there he was, tracter and bushhogger!

What hay? lots of stuff mixed in with that tall stuff - he's not sure what he ran over but there's white fluffy stuff (not cotton balls) floating around now, trees and other stuff, he just ran 'em right over!

He and my husband had a nice chat. We learned he's the one who sold some of his land to the original owner - and that the owner got killed! YIKES! But we also learned that there's a string of barbed wire to mark the perimeter of our land - and he's on 3 sides of us. It's a beautiful piece of wooded land, a little holler off to one side and he did say I need to get boots before I go traipsing off - snakes yanno.

We have no stove/oven (yet) so I can't bake him a pie - but he said he has grapes in the yard that they don't eat or do anything with and I offered to make him some jam come spring. There's a ton of blackberry vines here and I can't wait to make jam out of that, too.

Wow....it really sounds like you have a wonderful place - countryside, nice folks, woods, and yep - some critters that you will want to give a very wide berth to. When you put your boots on to go traipsing, take along a big stick or something to protect yourself with in case you do encounter a snake, or worse!! Homemade blackberry jam - it will be worth the wait - and get ready to be eaten alive by chiggers!!!! Wonder if the white stuff floating around is from cottonwood trees? Enjoy yourselves there!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 AM

492 posts, read 506,226 times
Blackberry jelly...yum!!! AND a loaf of fresh baked bread would be nice to give him. Sounds like a good neighbor to have. We just moved into a new area and the neighbors were here with plants and helpful ideas all the time. They made us feel very welcome.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:02 AM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
Field rat - fat little buggers about 4" to 5" long before the tail. When you bushhog you see 'em scurrying out of the way. They leave a nice big red streak when they don't.

A good bushhog will take down a tree up to a couple inches in diameter. Fluffy stuff could be a lot of different things, usually some sort of fluff for seeds to get carried in the wind. If you keep after the field, it'll get more tamed.

I sense something that you didn't do which is a no-no. It sounds like you didn't have the property surveyed at the time of purchase and are depending on others to tell you what you own. NOT a good idea. If the fence is there, it may have been there long enough to be the legal boundary, but then again...

Old 11-12-2012, 12:25 PM

8,260 posts, read 15,233,160 times
We actually DID have a survey done and along with exact GPS coordinates, foot and INCHES lengths, exact degrees to the fraction of a minute, it also said, "alongside a fence". There's a big difference in reading a description/survey and knowing WHERE the line is in the middle of woods which are a part of our property. And being "city folk", we didn't go racing out into the woods trying to find the boundaries - but my husband did, found the fence, has walked the line, been torn up by the blackberry thorns (omg, we have a TON of them) and found out that we a huge "holler" out back and tons of skunk holes - oh joy.

One other part of our descrition is: westerly side bounded by land now or formerly of A, northerly side bounded by SAME owner, and easterly side, same. Our property was cut out of the neighbor's large farm and he surrounds us. So whatever information he throws our way is greatly appreciated, even if he can't remember exactly how many acres he sold the original owner.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 PM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
Excellent. I am happy to stand corrected.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM

3,429 posts, read 5,261,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Well, 9 am there he was, tracter and bushhogger!

What hay? lots of stuff mixed in with that tall stuff - he's not sure what he ran over but there's white fluffy stuff (not cotton balls) floating around now, trees and other stuff, he just ran 'em right over!
The fluffy white stuff may well have been Canadian Thistle; see the last picture on this site:Invasive Weeds of Alaska

It's nasty weed and very hard to eradicate. When I find them in the part of my land that is my "yard" I hand dig them out before they get big. The leaves have thorns that hurt like the dickens. I use kitchen tongs to grab hold of each leaf and cut them off until there is just the main stem, then dig that out. The rest get cut down when my neighbor bush hogs the pastures, which he does in exchange for being able to pasture several of his horses here. Some of the land does also get hayed and we split that about 50/50. So I currently have about 140 square bales in my barn that another neighbor will buy for her horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living