U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 PM

8,260 posts, read 15,233,160 times

Advertisements

to an offer from a neighbor to bushhog (? right term?) our other front acre before spring?

We've been here a month - we have slowly been getting things together, buying furniture, built an enclosure for the kitties - and the deck and pool are done.

We've been here almost 6 weeks and I've met some great "neighbors" in the market and the store down the street (there's only 1 within 5 miles); but I haven't met any real neighbors. So today, we heard a car horn in our driveway and I went out to a man asking if we had a small dog. Nice gentleman who introduced himself as our "next door neighbor" - further on down the road. After some small chitchat, he offered to bush-hog/whack our 2nd acre. He said he'll do it next time he gets it hooked up, sometime by spring - that the previous owner had a garden in that area and we might consider that instead of the other area we were looking at.

So, what's the protocol for thanking him for his effort, time, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,703,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
to an offer from a neighbor to bushhog (? right term?) our other front acre before spring?

We've been here a month - we have slowly been getting things together, buying furniture, built an enclosure for the kitties - and the deck and pool are done.

We've been here almost 6 weeks and I've met some great "neighbors" in the market and the store down the street (there's only 1 within 5 miles); but I haven't met any real neighbors. So today, we heard a car horn in our driveway and I went out to a man asking if we had a small dog. Nice gentleman who introduced himself as our "next door neighbor" - further on down the road. After some small chitchat, he offered to bush-hog/whack our 2nd acre. He said he'll do it next time he gets it hooked up, sometime by spring - that the previous owner had a garden in that area and we might consider that instead of the other area we were looking at.

Was he asking to do it for payment or just because he was being nice? Is it something that you wanted done - you would either hire it out or do it yourself? If you want it done, and he has the equipment to do it you could either drive over to his place, or flag him down next time you see him drive by and talk to him to negotiate a price and/or time frame. If you would rather he not do it you could just tell him you thought it over and have decided to do something else with it, or decided to wait a while longer until you are sure what you want to do. I would probably bake him a pie or something (that's just how I am) to keep it friendly since he is your neighbor, and be appreciative of his offer. People in the country are just friendlier I think, and he was being neighborly. There is no "protocol" to being nice to someone - just talk to him like you would anyone and get to know your new neighbor. BTW - bush-hog is the correct term if you mean cutting the weeds down in a large area of ground - it's a big mower attached to a big tractor.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 PM

2,572 posts, read 2,611,383 times
^^^ Agreed.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:53 PM

He offered to do it - we mentioned having a garden - he told us that was the best spot because of the sun and the former owner had a huge garden there and he asked about the new yard tractor.... I think he might have seen my husband out trying to mow it - there's a funky looking swath cut along the road but it's too high to mow. It was a neighborly offer. I'm just trying to not offend while learning the culture. We moved from NYC to the middle of........farms and woods and........lots of cotton around here. It's different.

So much to learn - armadillos in our lawn, something else leaving huge piles of dirt at the end of tunnels....

Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,703,158 times
Quote:
He offered to do it - we mentioned having a garden - he told us that was the best spot because of the sun and the former owner had a huge garden there and he asked about the new yard tractor.... I think he might have seen my husband out trying to mow it - there's a funky looking swath cut along the road but it's too high to mow. It was a neighborly offer. I'm just trying to not offend while learning the culture. We moved from NYC to the middle of........farms and woods and........lots of cotton around here. It's different.

So much to learn - armadillos in our lawn, something else leaving huge piles of dirt at the end of tunnels....
h... that sounds like moles in the yard - they tunnel through the dirt and leave piles of loose dirt in their wake. Many ways to get rid of them - I would suggest a little trip on the internet to see what is available. They will keep your yard a mess unless you are able to kill them.

I truly think that once you get situated you are going to love the country. You are probably in a culture shock right now and I truly never heard of armadillos living in Tennessee - but I looked it up after I saw your post - and you're right!!! I learned something new thanks to you. You have to know the general consensus thinks that ALL native NY'ers are "difficult" to say the least - so he is probably expecting to run into some of that. I hope you left it behind because the folks in the state of Tennessee are unarguably some of the friendliest you will ever hope to find. Put down some new roots and welcome to the real world!!! I was born and raised in Ohio (now living in Illinois) but we vacationed in Tennessee for most of my childhood and young adulthood and I do have some relatives there. It is a beautiful place, but there is a lot of beautiful country here in the USA!!!

Last edited by CFoulke; 11-09-2012 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: addition...

Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Quote:

Is he doing it to be nice (for free) or is he expecting payment? I would just ask him directly and say that you just want to make sure you understand his offer fully so that there are no ill feelings down the road.

We have met some great people around here. One of them was a guy who has a construction business - we needed an area 25x15 leveled so we found him on a recommendation from another neighbor. We let his 17 year old son learn the trade in the bobcat by working on our pad - it took him two days, we still paid but at the end we think we gained a friend. My wife is a veterinarian and has taken care of his sick/injured goat (for free). For the right people, it is worth to go the extra mile and "invest" in the friendship.

On the other hand, we got ripped off by an unscrupulous septic guy.

Sometimes your gut instinct is right, something it's wrong...

OD

Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 AM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
First - take him up on the offer.
Second - protocol is to offer him the hay if he wants it.
Third - keep the areas bushhogged or mown. It keeps down the populations of ticks, snakes, field rats, and keeps the fire ant mounds from getting too big.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 PM

1,344 posts, read 2,577,185 times
As just mentioned, yes, offer him the hay.

I'd also have a 6-pack and a 5-gallon can of fuel (but you'll first need to know if the tractor is gas or diesel).

Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 PM

9,789 posts, read 11,276,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It keeps down the populations of ticks, snakes, field rats,
I'm curious about what you mean by a field rat. Out west we have the packrat. They're cute little devils but they'll chew anything. I can't leave a garden hose outside. But I've never heard of a field rat.

To the OP: I'd ask him how much it will be the next time you run into him.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 PM

Well, 9 am there he was, tracter and bushhogger!

What hay? lots of stuff mixed in with that tall stuff - he's not sure what he ran over but there's white fluffy stuff (not cotton balls) floating around now, trees and other stuff, he just ran 'em right over!

He and my husband had a nice chat. We learned he's the one who sold some of his land to the original owner - and that the owner got killed! YIKES! But we also learned that there's a string of barbed wire to mark the perimeter of our land - and he's on 3 sides of us. It's a beautiful piece of wooded land, a little holler off to one side and he did say I need to get boots before I go traipsing off - snakes yanno.

We have no stove/oven (yet) so I can't bake him a pie - but he said he has grapes in the yard that they don't eat or do anything with and I offered to make him some jam come spring. There's a ton of blackberry vines here and I can't wait to make jam out of that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living