U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:27 AM

14,798 posts, read 8,207,720 times

Advertisements

We had the same problem with neighbors visitors waking us up at 6am every morning. We just knocked on their door and asked them to please tell their idiot, inconsiderate friends to stop honking so early. Problem solved, however it was replaced by their barking dog at 6am. The world is full of inconsiderate morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 PM

23,632 posts, read 17,423,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
When I lived in a rural area, it used to bug me to no end to have visitors drive up my driveway, stay in their car and honk their horn when they wanted to talk to me. I considered it extremely rude. Recently, I saw another post where a neighbor followed the same routine. Is this considered normal? What is the reason for this....seems to me it would be more appropriate to knock on the door.
I agree with you, OP, I find it incredibly rude. What the heck is wrong with getting out of the car and going up to the door and knocking on it. How many times are we getting visitors that we didn't know were coming?! Doesn't anyone have a phone anymore? How about calling the person you want to visit and letting them know you're on the way. Solves a lot of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I haven't seen the other thread but it's common at my place. If my dog doesn't know you, she's going to let the visitor know that they really shouldn't try to get out of the vehicle. Therefore, they beep their horn.
While I still think it's unnecessary, a beep, quick and short, is one thing, a long, blasting of the horn is entirely different. Ask me how I know! Every single flippin' morning at 5:30 am, idiot would park outside, blare his horn, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over to let the person he was picking up for work, know he was there.

Get the hell OUT of your &$*@! car and KNOCK ON THEIR DOOR! Or, if you can't be bothered to do that, use that cell phone you blabber on constantly and call them, "Hey, I'm right outside!"

Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM

20,489 posts, read 38,407,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I agree with you, OP, I find it incredibly rude. What the heck is wrong with getting out of the car and going up to the door and knocking on it. How many times are we getting visitors that we didn't know were coming?! Doesn't anyone have a phone anymore? How about calling the person you want to visit and letting them know you're on the way. Solves a lot of issues.

Did you read the rest of the comments. Given that it's a rural area, it's entirely possible that the person you're calling on is not IN the house to hear the door knock, is out in the barn, the shop, the field, the pasture, the arena, and might even, shocking as it might seem, not have their cell phone on them, and won't be able to hear you knocking on their door OR ringing their bell.

While I still think it's unnecessary, a beep, quick and short, is one thing, a long, blasting of the horn is entirely different. Ask me how I know! Every single flippin' morning at 5:30 am, idiot would park outside, blare his horn, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over to let the person he was picking up for work, know he was there.

Get the hell OUT of your &$*@! car and KNOCK ON THEIR DOOR! Or, if you can't be bothered to do that, use that cell phone you blabber on constantly and call them, "Hey, I'm right outside!"
Now, this situation is entirely different. If the person is expected to pick you up the same time every day, they shouldn't be honking even once, never mind repeatedly.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 PM

23,632 posts, read 17,423,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Did you read the rest of the comments. Given that it's a rural area, it's entirely possible that the person you're calling on is not IN the house to hear the door knock, is out in the barn, the shop, the field, the pasture, the arena, and might even, shocking as it might seem, not have their cell phone on them, and won't be able to hear you knocking on their door OR ringing their bell.
Rural people don't have cell phones? Doesn't seem smart.

Did you not read the rest of my comment? Like, how about you fricken call the person before you come over?! That's considered good manners.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:35 PM

18,546 posts, read 55,477,958 times
Quote:
Rural people don't have cell phones? Doesn't seem smart.

Did you not read the rest of my comment? Like, how about you fricken call the person before you come over?! That's considered good manners.
Ever been on a tractor? A cell phone has as much chance of being heard as a butterfly yelling "help help, I'm being attacked by birds!" much less getting answered. FWIW, it is only this year that the cell towers are upgraded enough that we even get a signal on a part of our land. City and rural are different. Horns are generally used differently and the manners are slightly different.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 PM

20,489 posts, read 38,407,488 times
No, if you'll read, you'll see that they might not have their cell phones on them. Let's say that someone's training a green (inexperienced) horse, for example. It can be pretty stupid to be wearing a cell phone and have it ring and spook the horse you're riding, so you don't wear it. Or you're on a tractor and it's pointless to have the cell phone ringer turned on, even if you have it with you for safety reasons, because you're not going to hear it OR feel it vibrate over the noise and vibration of the tractor itself. Or a myriad of other reasons that people who live and work in rural areas can easily think for not having their cell phone surgically implanted on their body so that they're available 24/7 to people who can't conceive of someone not having their cell phone with them and set to ring all the time.

In any of those situations, calling ahead to tell the person you're coming is going to be as useless as ringing the doorbell when they're not in the house but on the property.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:47 AM

8,260 posts, read 15,228,803 times
In addition to what Harry and THL said, what makes you think that people WANT to be disturbed by a phone call? If I'm out on the deck or in the pool, I'm not running in the house to answer the freakin' phone. OTO, I'd happily get a glass and offer you some sweet tea if you stop over. What a pleasure to have a friend or neighbor just drop in because they were in the neighborhood.

While we chuckled the first couple of weeks we were here not knowing the reason for the beeping, I'm appreciative of those beeps - The UPS guy, mailperson, the contractor for the deck, and other deliveries. I just wish more neighbors would drop by!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,486 posts, read 41,085,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
...waking us up at 6am ...
Waking you UP at 6AM (must be AFTER the 4AM milking / chores / breakfast? You're lucky, I seldom get back to the house b4 7:30 to take my nap, or get breakfast.
Quote:
.. What the heck is wrong with getting out of the car and going up to the door and knocking on it. ..."
Which DOOR? Garage, side, back, basement, mud room,... I CERTAINLY hope not the FRONT door... most rural folks use that door about once / yr... to hang the Christmas wreath. Someone could die at my frt door and I wouldn't know till they got REALLY smelly. You know you have a FLAKE if they ring the front door.
Quote:
Rural people don't have cell phones? ....
Where are U from...? Cell Phones? We still have dialup as our only available connection. cell phones in RURAL America... not under this administration... Pretty lucky the REA got it's start YRS ago. Cable / cell companies aren't investing in Rural America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
...not knowing the reason for the beeping, I'm appreciative of those beeps - The UPS guy, mailperson, the contractor for the deck, and other deliveries. I just wish more neighbors would drop by!
Yes... it can save the UPS / mail person LOTS of steps (If they can raise U with a beep...) MOST frequently it has been due to a dog... (or the dog U didn't see / hear till you ALMOST got to the door... WHACK / RIPP / POUNCE / Crunch, GRRRR

Mine will only keep the tax assessor PINNED. Others get off easier

Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,660,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
:
Mine will only keep the tax assessor PINNED. Others get off easier
Ha.....

Old 11-11-2012, 02:32 PM

676 posts, read 1,076,073 times
That might make sense in rural areas, but I don't get it elsewhere. I live in a pretty populated area. It's not uncommon for people to do this and to do it multiple times. Especially car services. One was doing this at about 3 or 4 am. After the third honk, I went down to the street (in my robe and pajamas) to tell the driver to either call the person on the cell phone or call dispatch to call the person. He asked me if I was going to the airport, when I was dressed in my robe and jammies!

I can understand one honk, but if they don't hear after one, why do they think 2 or 3 honks is going to be heard any better? It's just going to wake up the entire freakin' neighborhood. If they're too lazy to get out and ring the door bell, most people have cell phones, use the cell to call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living