U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 AM

5,643 posts, read 5,086,145 times

Advertisements

When I lived in a rural area, it used to bug me to no end to have visitors drive up my driveway, stay in their car and honk their horn when they wanted to talk to me. I considered it extremely rude. Recently, I saw another post where a neighbor followed the same routine. Is this considered normal? What is the reason for this....seems to me it would be more appropriate to knock on the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 08:55 AM

1,344 posts, read 2,577,185 times
I haven't seen the other thread but it's common at my place. If my dog doesn't know you, she's going to let the visitor know that they really shouldn't try to get out of the vehicle. Therefore, they beep their horn.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:12 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,435,621 times
From my observation, it's a regional thing. I've lived in rural areas of eastern Colorado, and Wyoming, as well as western Nebraska, Kansas and the Dakotas.
Only in the Dakotas did we have people pull in the yard and honk.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 AM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
If a homeowner is armed, you don't want to quietly come up the drive and surprise him. Also, it allows the homeowner time to hide the moonshine.

Oh yeah, if you don't come immediately, be prepared for the visitor to say that they "hoped you weren't sleeping." (It is the polite comment)

Last edited by harry chickpea; 11-09-2012 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-09-2012, 10:02 PM

8,260 posts, read 15,233,160 times
Harry, you are just a font of information. I was wondering the same thing as the OP about the honking and just assumed it's how people do things here - no wonder there's no doorbell !!

And it sure makes sense. Oh, and this weekend is the gun show and yes, we're buying some guns.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 PM

20,494 posts, read 38,417,337 times
It's a modern way of saying "Hello, the house!" to let people who aren't used to people being around all the time know that there are visitors. Plus, what Harry and RyanR said.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 AM

4,004 posts, read 5,381,181 times
I live in a small quiet street and visitors honk their horns...well, one in particular across the road.

It drives me mad...that and the running engine that just goes on an on and echos through the whole street.

They pull up in the driveway, obviously picking someone up. Well whoever it is knows they're there, the car is running noisily and they honk.

And then they honk again.

And then if I'm really lucky, its another honk.

Like, it's four footsteps to the door...get off your butt and go find out what's taking them so long, if you're in that much of a hurry.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 AM

20,494 posts, read 38,417,337 times
A small quiet street is very different from a rural area as the OP was talking about. It's definitely inappropriate in that situation, more appropriate in areas where, for example, the driveway is a quarter mile long, as ours is, and the person you're visiting might be in the barn or pasture or wherever and not know you're there if you just knock, and honking as you drive up to the house isn't going to bother the neighbors.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:31 AM

10,115 posts, read 7,107,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
When I lived in a rural area, it used to bug me to no end to have visitors drive up my driveway, stay in their car and honk their horn when they wanted to talk to me. I considered it extremely rude. Recently, I saw another post where a neighbor followed the same routine. Is this considered normal? What is the reason for this....seems to me it would be more appropriate to knock on the door.
What if you're out in the barn or the machine shed vs. in the house? It's a farming/ranching thing--it's to let someone on the place know you're there. If it's a farming or ranching family, the chances are pretty high that they're going to be anywhere BUT the house. Old habits die hard...

Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 AM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
TexasHorseLady, I was about to mention "Hello, the house" but I didn't think people would get it or have even heard of it, just like when using the phone saying "Ahoy!"

Another honk thing you might run across is family members honking as they pass the house of another family member, part in greeting, and part to let them know they are coming home from work or shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living