U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 03:25 PM

4,784 posts, read 6,813,530 times

Advertisements

I'm not advocating cruelty (although puppies living in a barn is not cruel....in cold climates, though, they would need to be provided with at least a small source of warmth). I'm just saying, don't spend a bunch of money keeping unwanted animals alive. Just get rid of them. There will always be more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
During my time trapped in Arkansas (3 1/2 years) I often thought that if all of the humans in the state were evaporated, it might be a pretty nice place.

Arkansas does not represent, or speak for, anywhere else in the world, especially not the generally good people in American small towns.
The generally good people in American small towns mostly do not waste sentiment on animals, preferring instead to spend it on the humans in their lives, who are more important than animals. (Although the ridiculousness of doting on pets like they're humans is slowly creeping in. Not too many small-towners that would put the value of an animal's life over a human's, though....that's just nuts.)

If all the humans evaporated where you were, it would be awfully lonesome. Animals do not provide the kind of companionship, social interaction, or actual physical help that humans do.

I have a cat and I like her and take good care of her....but I don't equate her worth as equal to a human (or a family member, for heaven's sake, as so many animal nuts seem to do!).

Old 12-29-2013, 08:37 PM

3,596 posts, read 5,112,610 times
Don't buy in a new subdivision next to a dairy farm, and then complain about the bad odor. The cows were there long before you moved in.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:36 PM

3,596 posts, read 5,112,610 times
Crunchymama, what are your political beliefs?

Because almost every day, I notice people ask on the "U.S. Forum" here, about moving to a small town, but they (especially if females) insist on a place with liberal people, availability of arts activities, and no "Bible thumpers" or Confederate flags. Such people would do best in college-towns or resort-towns which have some diversity and liberalism. Because most rural areas in America lean heavily Republican (except for areas with minority races as their majority population).

Old 12-30-2013, 06:10 AM

5,643 posts, read 5,086,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Nothin' wrong with that. If we would just simply shoot all the stray animals then we could save lots of money that could be spent on helping people in need instead of feeding animals no one wants. Not advocating making the animal suffer, like my grandaddy used to do (he threw kittens into the pond in a sack....too cruel), just a quick death.

They are just animals, after all. There will always be plenty of cats and dogs in the world.

And that's the way most people in small towns think.
Disturbing. People have the ability to ask for help or find ways to improve their situation. Animals can't, and rely on the kindness of humans to survive. I can't for the life of me understand anyone justifying ignoring or mistreating a stray when most of them are caused by abandonment or by irresponsible pet owners who refuse to spay or neuter their pets and contribute to the problem of unwanted animals.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:34 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,761,429 times
I live in a rural area. I presently have 4 inside stray animals that I have rescued and numerous others that I put feed out for. Those are the ones who are too wild for me to tame. Not all of them are from my rural neighbors.
Irresponsible people are not only rural or small town people. Don't believe me? Check with your local humane society. Most larger towns and cities have them. How many animals are taken in because their humans don't want them? This is not a rural vs city problem, it is a human problem.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Disturbing. People have the ability to ask for help or find ways to improve their situation. Animals can't, and rely on the kindness of humans to survive. I can't for the life of me understand anyone justifying ignoring or mistreating a stray when most of them are caused by abandonment or by irresponsible pet owners who refuse to spay or neuter their pets and contribute to the problem of unwanted animals.
There is nothing disturbing about what I said. I never justified "ignoring or mistreating a stray". A quick shot to the head is painless.

All I'm saying is that there shouldn't be lots of money spent on keeping stray dogs and cats alive when there are suffering CHILDREN in the world. Imagine what could be done for CHILDREN if those stupid Hollywood stars would take the money they're pouring into animal causes and use it for humans! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

And my cat is spayed....not to mention, well fed, well petted, and happy.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 PM

8,274 posts, read 12,638,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama192 View Post
So if someone moves in and doesnt try to change anything, how do you think the people would respond? And when you say change things what are some examples? I'm moving to be a part of someone elses community and do things their way, because I hate where I am now. I am not moving to continue my lifestyle somehwere else.
I've lived in semi-rural area and even suburban areas where for example we have newcomers come and tell us that there shouldn't be a Christmas tree in the lobby of the public school, or that we should say Happy Holidays cause Jews and Muslims might be offended.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:49 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,816,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've lived in semi-rural area and even suburban areas where for example we have newcomers come and tell us that there shouldn't be a Christmas tree in the lobby of the public school, or that we should say Happy Holidays cause Jews and Muslims might be offended.
400 years ago, it was the Christians who forced their religion on the natives.

Change is normal. If you can't say Merry Christmas anymore, too bad. You had your heyday for a few centuries.

1000 years from now, I strongly doubt that there will be a U.S, a China, an India, the EU, an Australia, or other nations as we know them today. The world has always been changing and will continue to do so.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,596,801 times
The past couple weeks have reminded me of a couple more "unwritten rules" of small town living.

If you have elderly neighbors, or some who work odd shifts; you are running your snowblower anyway, go clear their driveway and walk. Bring your shovel so you get the steps as well, no need to do a half-assed job and leave their steps full of snow .

If you hear tires spinning, time to put on your jacket and boots to help whom ever is stuck in the snow. If it is a neighbor, then you get to razz them later on about it (not too funny for them at the moment.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living