U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 04:58 PM

7,391 posts, read 4,054,468 times

Advertisements

Two things that were important in small town life where I lived were (1) be careful who you talk about because everyone is related and (2) pull to the side of the road and stop when a funeral procession goes by. I moved to this small town from a "big city" and (surprise, surprise) I discovered someone in the town who was fairly closely related to me!! If you stop for a funeral in most places in the US you'll be rear ended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:06 AM

9,147 posts, read 8,412,096 times
Quote:
And this is why i avoid small towns, too much close mindedness Just because someone came from california, doesnt mean they are a bad person.
The reason they know you are from California, is either you told them, or the way you act. And if you told them and let them know when telling them that makes you superior and smarter than the local, they are going to be somewhere between ignore, to downright unfriendly.

I grew up in small town Northern California, lived in big cities such as Philadelphia, and Memphis when stationed there in the navy. In my corporate days lived in Silicon Valley, Bloomfield Hills (high rent area north of Detroit), North of Denver to name some. Lived for the last 30 years, on Oregon Coast, Southern Utah, and South East Montana where we have lived the past 7 years in a small town of under 2,000 people. In that 30 years, I have been rapidly accepted, and have not had any unpleasant experiences from people.

Of course I was just a friendly as the people, ready to stick out my hand in friendship, wave at people to say hi, and they wave back. When they ask how I like the small town compared to where I moved from and the big cities, I just say I am glad to be home back in a small town and smile. They smile back understanding what I am saying, and we become friends.

Try having that attitude and the small towns will accept you.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 PM

1,310 posts, read 869,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
And this is why i avoid small towns, too much closemindedness
Just because someone came from california, doesnt mean they are a bad person.

Never had any trouble living in a small town even though I was from California. Coming from the LA area I can vouch that there is as much close mindeness in a city as there could be in a small town.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 PM

899 posts, read 955,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
We lived in Belen, NM about 25 years ago. We actually loved it. I did a good deal of watching and learning while there. We rented a really nice house dirt cheap from an older guy who wanted to be called "Uncle Ernie". He owned just about every house for 4 or 5 blocks around. A new couple from Chicago moved in about six months after us. Behind their place was an open filed also owned by "Uncle Ernie". One day I was sitting on the porch when Uncle Ernie came by for a visit. Seems the new folks were complaining about all the tall weeds in the lot behind their new house. The Chicago woman was wigging out that there may be animals and big bugs in the field and complained to the township. He wanted us to know that we should keep out back windows closed during the windy season. By going around Uncle Ernie and running to file a complaint with the town was a violation of some unspoken rule. So, Uncle Ernie told them he would do something about the weeds. The next weekend he shows up in the field with his tractor with a disc assembly behind it. He turned the weeds under and just kept going. He disced that field until the ground was the consistency of talcum powder and every plant was gone. About a week later the windy season kicked in. Every time the wind blew in from the south, it was like a dust storm around their house.

And I quote "Thems not weeds, they were dust control. Anyone with half a brain would have known that."
this is why YOU don't know better than THEM (the people who actually have lived in these small towns).

when i think of "small town," i think of the movie sleeping with the enemy starring julia roberts. why? because the movie shows an idyllic small town somewhere in the middle of america. well maybe a medium town as a college is nearby because the drama professor in that film works there.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/slee...ith_the_enemy/

i personally would love to live in a small town as i am very friendly however, i do like things that are not accepted there. lots of wild sex, being up at all hours of the night going for walk if i so desire, and not following convention in general. one more thing. how would i get my teeth cleaned? i visit the dentist every 3 months for a cleaning. do small towns have dentists?

i think the major change that should happen in small towns is to keep up with medical technology such as modern facilities and techniques and medicine (the new statin drugs for example). there's no reason to live a life that will average 45 years of age ala 1900s when you can live to 76 in 2014. no one wants to die or be sick anyway but i can see why people would resist medical care change. i would just worry about dental care if i moved there. it's not just about teeth either. the plaque from the teeth somehow gets into your bloodstream and clogs up your heart's arteries. there's research on that.

Last edited by Hairy Guy; 04-07-2014 at 05:58 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,266,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
this is why YOU don't know better than THEM (the people who actually have lived in these small towns).

when i think of "small town," i think of the movie sleeping with the enemy starring julia roberts. why? because the movie shows an idyllic small town somewhere in the middle of america. well maybe a medium town as a college is nearby because the drama professor in that film works there.

Sleeping with the Enemy - Rotten Tomatoes

i personally would love to live in a small town as i am very friendly however, i do like things that are not accepted there. lots of wild sex, being up at all hours of the night going for walk if i so desire, and not following convention in general. one more thing. how would i get my teeth cleaned? i visit the dentist every 3 months for a cleaning. do small towns have dentists?

i think the major change that should happen in small towns is to keep up with medical technology such as modern facilities and techniques and medicine (the new statin drugs for example). there's no reason to live a life that will average 45 years of age ala 1900s when you can live to 76 in 2014. no one wants to die or be sick anyway but i can see why people would resist medical care change. i would just worry about dental care if i moved there. it's not just about teeth either. the plaque from the teeth somehow gets into your bloodstream and clogs up your heart's arteries. there's research on that.
Are you under the impression that upon leaving New York, medical technology, dentistry and morality suddenly vanishes?

I have never read such meaningless babble.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:17 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,837,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post

Sleeping with the Enemy - Rotten Tomatoes

......" a life that will average 45 years of age "..

Surprising how many people in the nursing home in Albany MN ( POP 1800) are in their high 90's or are centurians.

Strong farm families of German descent are some tough people.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:54 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,091,517 times
Wow. Hairy Guy has some ridiculous and ignorant ideas on how small town life is. I would think it would be better for you to stay in the big city and not risk it though. I know I would not want you moving to my town. Yes, we have dentists, doctors and they don't all just go "rootin' 'round in there wif a stick". We even have indoor plumbing. Sad part is that you most likely do not even realize how foolish that post sounds.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:57 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,513,849 times
Our dentist is in another small town only 16 miles away. Occasionally I run into her in the grocery store. That's small town life!

Old 04-16-2014, 03:14 PM

9,200 posts, read 17,054,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Our dentist is in another small town only 16 miles away. Occasionally I run into her in the grocery store. That's small town life!
I don't get it. I run into lots of people at the grocery store: the dentist, the doctor, the mayor, even Jim Carrey once. Do dentists not go to the grocery store in bigger cities?

Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,091,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't get it. I run into lots of people at the grocery store: the dentist, the doctor, the mayor, even Jim Carrey once. Do dentists not go to the grocery store in bigger cities?

Sorry to hear you ran into Jim Carey. Sometimes he gets loose and his handlers have to go get him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living