U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 05:58 PM

192 posts, read 301,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My grandfather had a nationally syndicated newspaper column until his death in 1938. He made up a small town and all the citizens, but also talked about the small town he lived in, which is where I live now. One of his tales that would fit in this thread is, if you go out of town by train on a weekend (remember, this is in the 1930s) you better wear your Sunday go to meeting suit and shine your good shoes, because everbody hangs out at the train station on weekends to see who is coming or going. lol
Got one for you to think about. He wrote a little thing about riding the train to the next town, about 30 miles away. He said there was a moth flying around the light bulb on the train the entire trip. What my grandfather was asking was did the moth fly the 30 miles to the next town or did it ride? lol
Thats a good one. I think Im going to say he flew there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,721,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenion View Post
You know you live in a small town; When you know all the girls in it. To the point of were when you date one, then the relationship ends. Everyone of those girls in the town know all about you.
Used to live on an island in Puget Sound that was like that, where a lot of the local single folks had dated or lived with each other at one time or another, and they would talk about someone getting ''passed around'' (which always sounded kinda creepy somehow). And I first encountered just how much everyone 'knows your business', when someone once asked me about seeing my car coming down an ''unexpected'' road one early morning (as if to ask whose house was I coming from at that hour of the day)!

And then there are the folks who think they somehow have a 'claim' on your property (which always used to be ''the old Smith place'' or some such when they were growing up). Or else they don't think it's enough that I'm shopping at their place of business, they also have to ''approve'' of me. Of course they forget that's also a 2-way street, and there are other businesses!

Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM

219 posts, read 571,453 times
Like a lot of people have said, I think the biggest thing is the whole "everybody knows everybody".

Everybody knows what you do for a living, what car you drive, where your house is, your spouse, your kids, your church, the pizza shop you tried to open in 1985. So on and so forth.

But if you are new in town and the townsfolk don't know about you, well, it can get kind of awkward. You can become sort of a mysterious outcast, a Boo Radley, if you will. My family moved here in the early 90s, a year or two before I was born, and I still feel that we are kind of known as "those new people who live out on ______ road"

Small town drama and problems are usually quite petty.

- Somebody parking their car in a way that blocks a view of an intersection

- Fighting between the various volunteer fire departments

- fighting over property and hunting grounds

- tractors damaging roads, cows getting loose

- somebody "showing off" by adding an addition on their house or buying a new car.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:16 AM

121 posts, read 257,881 times
Small town, I'm unknown. People smile, I smile back. I attend local events...alone. I smile, people smile back. I'm trying to get into the rhythm and pulse of the small town I live in. I was told that if I want to meet people, I need to volunteer. I need to participate in fund raisers, hospice, and numerous non-profit organizations. I took an art class and every student in it was a new transplant, like myself. Being an attractive single woman does not help matters at all! Women grab their husbands by the ear and drag him off! This is not going to be easy. In the city I was just another pretty face. In a small town I'm a Scarlet letter. I've got my work cut out for me!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:28 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,761,429 times
No, it is just going to take time. How about trying to meet these women when their husbands aren't around? Do more than smile. Strike up conversations -with women as well as men. Understand that you are an unknown. People in small towns want to know what kind of person you are before they become friendly to you. If it seems as though you like to talk to the men more than you do the women, you may have a problem. It's not so much the looks as it is the personality.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:31 PM

9,336 posts, read 8,064,581 times
Best to say nothing negative about the town or anyone who lives there. It will often get all over town. You could end up making a lot of enemies because these people have known each other for years, they are interrelated, they have intermarried, kids have gone to school together, its like one big family. You really have to be careful what you say. Best to keep it positive.

Oh, and keep in mind: You will always be an outsider, even if you marry someone from that town.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 PM

175 posts, read 274,275 times
We lived in Belen, NM about 25 years ago. We actually loved it. I did a good deal of watching and learning while there. We rented a really nice house dirt cheap from an older guy who wanted to be called "Uncle Ernie". He owned just about every house for 4 or 5 blocks around. A new couple from Chicago moved in about six months after us. Behind their place was an open filed also owned by "Uncle Ernie". One day I was sitting on the porch when Uncle Ernie came by for a visit. Seems the new folks were complaining about all the tall weeds in the lot behind their new house. The Chicago woman was wigging out that there may be animals and big bugs in the field and complained to the township. He wanted us to know that we should keep out back windows closed during the windy season. By going around Uncle Ernie and running to file a complaint with the town was a violation of some unspoken rule. So, Uncle Ernie told them he would do something about the weeds. The next weekend he shows up in the field with his tractor with a disc assembly behind it. He turned the weeds under and just kept going. He disced that field until the ground was the consistency of talcum powder and every plant was gone. About a week later the windy season kicked in. Every time the wind blew in from the south, it was like a dust storm around their house.

And I quote "Thems not weeds, they were dust control. Anyone with half a brain would have known that."

Old 12-18-2012, 11:04 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,628,473 times
Default The town joke !

In our little town folks joke that we don't do divorces here, we just "Take turns" OMG

Old 12-29-2012, 02:39 AM

9,970 posts, read 19,304,610 times
Small towns are great. But, they aren't going to immediately take to the newcomers until they figure out the new folk and depending on the new folks sometimes they never quite fit in. Some folks are fitted for living in small towns and other folks are better fitted for living in big cities.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 AM

2,153 posts, read 3,657,221 times
When making a left hand turn with no opposing traffic and traffic behind you pull ito the other lane to make your turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living